Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Sertraline  (Read 595 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sertraline
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 06:22:40 PM »
She thinks I may be given Ritalin, which, I've read increases the dopamine and serotonin levels in the brain.

This gets me thinking since sertraline affects these neurotransmitters, too,  is it possible, given enough dosage and time, this drug would produce positive results for my AADD?

It may do to a small extent. However, antidepressants do not increase brain levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin as Ritalin does, they actually reduce their synthesis and expression after a few weeks.

I'd get a second opinion on the AADD before starting treatment, preferably from a psychiatrist.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline rodan

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sertraline
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »
She thinks I may be given Ritalin, which, I've read increases the dopamine and serotonin levels in the brain.

This gets me thinking since sertraline affects these neurotransmitters, too,  is it possible, given enough dosage and time, this drug would produce positive results for my AADD?

It may do to a small extent. However, antidepressants do not increase brain levels of dopamine, norepinephrine and serotonin as Ritalin does, they actually reduce their synthesis and expression after a few weeks.

I'd get a second opinion on the AADD before starting treatment, preferably from a psychiatrist.

Ian

My counselor, at my first visit, mentioned I would have an appointment with a psychiatrist, but, that hasn't happened yet.  I will suggest that too her, before going on any AADD type of drugs.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: