Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Possible hepatitis risk?  (Read 106 times)

Offline math989

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Possible hepatitis risk?
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:48:43 PM »
Hello everyone,
Lately I have been worrying on weather or not I'm at risk for hepatitis b. I have been worried about this because this disease has spred throughout my family across some generations. For starters my grandad and grandmom both have it, my uncle has it but my mom tells me that she does not. Furthermore my dad does not have it either. I got the mandatory vaccine for it at age 12. But I always just had this thought that what if I had a bad gene or something or if I have and don't even realise it even though my parents tell me that I do not. Lastly I keep on thinking if there was a chance that I could develop it later in life.
Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline sweetblubrry

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
Re: Possible hepatitis risk?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:11:27 PM »
Hepatitis B is a bloodborne disease, a virus which is not genetic or something that develops. You would have to be an IV drug user or come into contact with someone's blood while you had an open bleeding cut of your own. If your mom and dad did not have it, it was not passed down to you. If you had the vaccine when you were 12 then you are vaccinated for life. Even if you come into contact with it, you would be protected from the vaccine.

I'm a student nurse and I've had the vaccine and work with patients that have hep B every day and I do not worry about it.
Bookmark and Share
Struggled on and off since I was 13 (29 now) with health anxiety and OCD. No therapy. I accept my thoughts and deal with it as it comes.

Tags: