Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Klonopin taper  (Read 503 times)

Offline MLB2805

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Klonopin taper
« on: April 05, 2014, 09:41:49 PM »
So I've been on klonopin for 4and half months tops, and now my dr is giving me a month to get off of them. I only take .5 a day, she wants me to cut it in half and go from there. Considering the amount/ length of time I've been on them should this be ok? I decided to start with taking 3/4 a pill and go from there. But after this month I have no refills and she said see ya in six months...real freaking nice of her.
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonopin taper
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:52:47 PM »
So I've been on klonopin for 4and half months tops, and now my dr is giving me a month to get off of them. I only take .5 a day, she wants me to cut it in half and go from there. Considering the amount/ length of time I've been on them should this be ok? I decided to start with taking 3/4 a pill and go from there. But after this month I have no refills and she said see ya in six months...real freaking nice of her.

Sadly, this illustrates why I don't recommend benzodiazepines for prolonged daily use anymore. Their biggest problem is stupid doctors.

This isn't the best way of quitting, but as you don't have any other options, I suggest you cut back by quarter of a tablet every week. It's faster than ideal as it can take up to 10 days for plasma levels to stabilize after each dose reduction, but given the small dose and relatively short time you've been taking Klonopin, it is doable.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline MLB2805

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »
That's my plan... Seems to be going ok for first
Couple days... I've just read so many horror stories online
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
I've just read so many horror stories online

Which can be a 'good' way of ensuring that you suffer greatly too. There have been a number of studies showing that people will begin to experience withdrawal symptoms after being told their BZD dose had been reduced when it hadn't been. The mind can produce our worst nightmares if given the opportunity. :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline MLB2805

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:40:27 PM »
That's is the truth! I'm am trying to stay positive, and I'm feeling good. (Hopefully I don't jinx it) but I think I'll be relieved when it's all done. Thank Ian, I always like reading your advice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahefner33

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »
You could ask to see a psych. and they will definitely help you taper with needed prescriptions or even with a longer lasting benzo taper. I know, Ive been on klonoplin since last august and I wanted to strop taking them cause I didn't feel the benefit anymore and my doc just said half the dosage every 3 days until the bottle was gone. -_- :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share
Live

Offline MLB2805

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 07:05:55 PM »
I feel like I wasn't really feeling the benefits either, unless I took 1mg. The .5 doesn't really do much and is kinda pointless to be taking everyday. I find therapy and books I've read more helpful. How is your taper going?
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »
Really interested to see how your taper is going.  I'm tapering off 1.0 per day.  I cut by .125.  I have friends that have taken and their taper was take one day and then not the next.  I've read horror stories of tapers from benzobuddies and my mind is screwed up about cutting the klonopin.  I'm 8 weeks into using lexapro so I think I'm starting to see some anxiety benefit from it.  Are you having major problems or is your taper going smooth?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 07:25:31 PM »
I've read horror stories of tapers from benzobuddies

That is where you went wrong. Sites like that cause severe withdrawal effects by endless repetitions of the symptoms and tales of how hard it is, IMHO. Talk yourself into have a hard time of it and the mind will often produce the whole catastrophe for you.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »
Oh, I know that Ian, I'll never go back to that dreadful site, I'm just hoping to hear more people say getting off was easy...
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »
I cut it a quarter at a time. So I am now down to .25.... Today and yesterday have been a
Little rough but it's also that time of
The month when my hormones are all
Over the place. A little anxiety but not as bad as i thought ...
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »
I'm just hoping to hear more people say getting off was easy...

Try one of the epilepsy sites. Withdrawal seems to be a much less significant issue despite the much higher BZD doses needed to prevent seizures. I think this is partly because most epileptics don't also have to deal with anxiety and partly that neurologists are simply better at helping their patients to wean off BZDs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hikingchik63

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 06:45:45 AM »
Hi, I tried tapering off .5mg klonopin and couldn't do it. BUT, I took it once daily for 5 1/2 yrs. So I crossed over to 10mg valium which is = equivalency, with no problems. I then stabilized on valium, and started to taper 1/2 mg every 10 days. Doing well. Ur = valium dose to .5mg klonopin would be 5mg valium and u could get 2mg pills and taper. BUT, you haven't been on klonopin so long, and it may be very doable for u to just taper from it. Ive found valium to be much smoother tho. Good luck to u :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline hikingchik63

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:11 AM »
Sorry, I meant to state ur .25mg klonopin dose = to 5mg valium
Bookmark and Share
"Frame your mind to mirth and merriment which bars a thousand harms and lengthens life."--Shakespeare

Offline maple

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »
I agree with Insights, you need to stay away from the websites that talk about how terrible benzodiazepines are.  They won't help with your taper, and they will only increase your anxiety.  Speaking from my own experience, I let those sites scare the devil out of me for no good reason.

I have gone up and down on my dose of clonazepam over the past 2 years, from 3 mg (when my panic and anxiety were completely uncontrolled) and tapered down to zero in a year...  the only thing that happened was a lot of my original anxiety symptoms re-appeared.  Now I take anywhere from .5mg-1.5mg per day while my pdoc and I try to find a different daily medication.  My doctor has no problems prescribing me klonipin with re-fills, he knows I don't abuse them and I don't change my dose without consulting him first.  He also thinks that, as a class of medication, they are safe and important part of anxiety treatment because the effects are so reliable for most patients.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: