Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Reading words wrong?  (Read 149 times)

Offline rubee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Reading words wrong?
« on: April 05, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »
I've noticed lately when I'm reading text I will read it wrong and even add words into what I'm reading that weren't originally there. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm worried it's a brain tumour
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Reading words wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »
A common anxiety symptom.   Overactive nervous system.
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.   
John 8:32

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 02:36:12 PM »
Sure, it's happened before.  Also when I follow along with the readings at church I will notice the reader doing that too!
I heard that when it's a brain tumor that when you look at the words they look like a "foreign language" and you can't read it at ALL. (read a story about that on ***** and heard that somewhere else too!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 03:39:50 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm a bit worried, what if sometimes I do read things and they look foreign? I can't think specifically of a time that's happened but I'm nervous regardless. That's just anxiety though I guess. Thanks again for your help guys
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 04:18:00 PM »
I'm talking about the whole text of what you are reading looking like gibberish.  Not just one word.  Heck one time I was sitting in a parking lot waiting for my daughter and looking across the street at a building there and there was a tree branch going up between 2 of the letters on the building - I was sitting there thinking, "What the heck is CAT holic....?"  I kept saying "CAT holic, CAT holic"  and thinking "alcoholic"  FINALLY it dawned on me - it said, "CATHOLIC"!!  LOL!  Just because a little branch was a little bit between the t and the h I couldn't "figure" it out.  And that has happened a few times especially when words are divided!  I read thermometer as THERMO meter once just because it was split up on 2 lines!   
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure this literally happens to everyone.  A couple of days ago my girlfriend misread "discover card" as "dinosaur card" twice before realizing her mistake.  (I just remember this example because that error actually makes some sense if you know me - I am totally the kind of person who would have dinosaur decorations on their credit card!)  I've done it at least a million times over the course of my life.  It's really embarrassing when you get into an argument with someone over what you think they wrote, and then you're like "...dammit!"   :laugh3:  But it's not a sign of anything but being human, and it gets worse when I'm tired or stressed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »
Thank you :) It's good to know other people experience this too.
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 08:10:37 PM »
Not only is it common, I would say most people experience something similar to this at some point in their lives.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 01:52:40 AM »
Happens in English class every once in a while whether I'm going through stress or not. It probably happens more often than we realize too, you're just worried about it so you notice it more I bet. So this happens normally, but the lack of focus anxiety caused can make it worse.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Sunlover

Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 06:16:56 AM »
Happens in English class every once in a while whether I'm going through stress or not. It probably happens more often than we realize too, you're just worried about it so you notice it more I bet. So this happens normally, but the lack of focus anxiety caused can make it worse.

Yes rubee, if you are ever in a place where people are reading and you could follow along (the only thing I could think of is Mass, but maybe other denominations have books where you follow along??) or maybe you are in college or HS and the teacher is reading?   Pay attention to people and you'll see they'll screw up words.  Sometime they'll catch it, sometimes they won't.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: