Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: How to know when real or just anxiety  (Read 322 times)

Offline ahefner33

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How to know when real or just anxiety
« on: April 05, 2014, 01:14:15 PM »
I know that you go to the dr and get tested but my question or concern is if you have reoccuring symptoms that fall in the same area of tests you had in the past year, how long are those tests valid for your self?

Ive had every test i feel like over the past year. I have good days, bad days, and meh days. But when i feel bad or have symptoms that had gone away but come back, maybe even worse or different occuring at different frequencies than when fist going to the dr for, how do you keep your self from living with your dr?

I actually had a full heart work up and everything was fine. But the recently started having palps and now diagnosed pvcs but waited a whole week struggling just because i would tell myself i have had the tests and it was just anxiety. Went to doc and told me i shoulf of came in when i first noticed them.  I said i felt them the first go around but you all didnt find anything wrong.

Now having weird breathing i had before but tested all pulmonary with a good clean bill but this has been consistent but with day breaks.

I get in this loop of not knowing when something is a real concern or not
Bookmark and Share
Live

Offline Lo213

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How to know when real or just anxiety
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
I wish I had the answer for you. I suffer from the exact same problem. I'm constantly having heart attack pains. And they change. The pain feels different in one way or another. So I'm always left questioning it. And always in fear for my life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahefner33

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
Hey

Yea it is troubling. On one end you just want to be like "Hey even though this feels a little different, I've already been checked and they say I'm good." But then you can't really ever get that thought out of your head as to why now another symptom or how long does the tests warrant good health. Even with other new issues, takes alot of second guesses.
Bookmark and Share
Live

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »
My way of deciding if its anxiety or not is if it gets better when I'm busy thinking of something else, or goes completely away.

For instance if you are having chest pains and you get busy doing something else and realize, hey the chest pains went away, and then you realize that you were worried and they come back--anxiety.

Same with any other symptom or pain.  If you have abnormal blood work, symptoms that don't away no matter what you do, even when you sleep or when you are thinking of other things-dig and don't take no for an answer.

But if it only gets worse when you think about it, its anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:33:34 PM »
It can be hard to tell of something is psycosomatic or not. I often worry about whether my random symptoms, especially my stomach and head issues, are benign or not. I do notice my symptoms flare up when I think about them though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sketcher

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »
I agree with coldhands. Try occupy your mind on something you really like. I might play a videogame and if after 10 min the symptoms are gone its probably anxiety.

Its tough though and I go through it a lot. I take warafin, a blood  thinner so im always thinking a symptom like not being able to focus my eyescould be caused by it which leads to anxiety but it may be anxiety in the first place  and the eye thing is caused just by eye strain. I dont know.  Stresses me out though
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahefner33

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 08:21:06 PM »
Coldhands,

Yeah that is a very important step to try and probably the first thing my psych told me when I asked him that question. But my symptoms are so random that I can distract myself and realize they are gone but I can also be distracted and then realize that I am having the same symptoms. They contradict each other and is hard to tell apart.

Ill give one example of one of mine. I am/was a really active person always playing sports or trying to be out doing something. Breathing became an issue (shallow rapid breaths) and easily out of breath when exerting myself with sports. But then I can feel perfectly normal eating out with friends and realize I am breathing fine. But then I can be watching a funny movie, laughing, chatting and start to have trouble breathing. But then take the next day, I go play sports or try and I feel completely normal or a whole lot more normal than typical.

Thats why alot of my questions or google searches look like 'can such and such come and go as a symptom'

And I hate when reading symptoms of some disease or problem and they list a main symmptoms as anxiety. SO basically saying that the problem can give you anxiety OO___OO

But yeah distraction should be tried
Bookmark and Share
Live

Tags: