Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Feeling guilty about not being able to concentrate at work.  (Read 142 times)

Offline EsotericNonsense

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I got diagnosed with ADHD as a child and have never been on medication for it. About 10 months ago I started having clinical level anxiety attacks which include episodes bad spaciness, stomach problems, and other physical symptoms that make it difficult for me to concentrate at work. I work as a software developer and I have a set of non medical coping skills that I use to deal with ADHD. My problem right now is that all my coping mechanisms for ADHD require that I have a desire to do something and lately I really don't. I read that ADHD doesn't get worse over time so theoretically if I didn't need medication before I shouldn't need it now but I feel as if my anxiety is making my ADHD worse and I don't know whether that means I should rethink the decision of not going on ADHD medication. If my anxiety was under control I would be able to function but I'm afraid at this point that that will never happen and I don't know what I'm supposed to do in the mean time since I will have anxiety attacks that last for hours where just putting together a coherent thought is difficult. At work I'm paid for my intellect and I'm afraid that I have lost my edge as a software developer. I'm afraid that every moment I spend having a panic attack is a moment where I would be getting productive work done if I weren't feeling so god damn anxious and depressed. And I'm afraid my anti-anxiety medication has stopped working and that's why I have felt like **** lately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feeling guilty about not being able to concentrate at work.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 05:18:03 AM »
Small case of doing what you think is right for you. Much like anxiety with almost everybody who ever had it, we refused to accept it to begin with. Why should we have it. We don't need help. We are just fine as we are. Truth is we were not fine. We needed help. It was only when we reached out and got that help did things begin to improve. You feel you need medication for something the experts claim never get worse? If you do then see a doctor and ask about medication. If you just ignore it, you might still be sitting there a year from now feeling the exact same way or worse. Wishing you had of done something a lot earlier. So act now. Based on how you feel. With such things we have to want to do things for ourselves. Not for others. If you think things are getting worse maybe it is time to get help.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: