Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Female topic- spotting mid cycle- scared  (Read 176 times)

Offline lynbeechwood

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Female topic- spotting mid cycle- scared
« on: April 04, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »
Hi there-
For the last three days I have been lightly spotting- a light tan color- sorry to be gross. I never have breakthrough bleeding- ever. This would be the first time.
I am 41 years old - and I'm panicking .i am only 18 days into my cycle- normally I don't start a period until day 28 or so.
Do you honk I should make an appt with a gynecologist - I don't know what to do.
I know I am not pregnant as my husband I have not been intimate in a very long time- sorry tmi -
Also in February I had a physical and I did not have a pap because last years was normal so my doc told me I didn't need another for two more years.
I am so scared now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Female topic- spotting mid cycle- scared
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 04:20:26 PM »
Do you have thyroid problems?  Low thyroid can cause that, and it's such a common thing, it seems.  For god's sake, though, don't assume you have it because of one symptom - you'd know if you did!  But so many people now seem to have thyroid trouble, and it can cause really strange symptoms you wouldn't think to associate with it.

Beyond that...there's a first time for everything.  I doubt it's anything to worry about, but you can always check with your doctor.   

I'm guessing you're worried about cancer - don't be.  Endometrial cancer causes serious bleeding.  Like, you'd be worried about bleeding to death, very heavy period type bleeding.  Even THEN it would be more likely to be something like a fibroid at your age. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline lynbeechwood

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »
Ladies anyone else?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 07:18:21 PM »
First of all, I personally don't find anything in your post gross or tmi.  This is real life :)

Second, this happened to me just a few months ago except it wasn't just spotting - it was like a light period but in the middle of my cycle!  I freaked out too and called my OBGYN.  Talked to a nurse who was completely unconcerned especially b/c it was the first time.  She said hormone fluctuations can cause that among other benign things and that unless it happens a few months in a row it wasn't cause for concern.  It hasn't happened since then, knock on wood.  You're 41 - it's possible your body is transitioning into perimenopause and you're having some hormone fluctuations.  I really wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening over and over.
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline sparx

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »
Another thing to think about is... you're in your early 40's!  That's often when perimenopause starts, and your cycle can become irregular in all sorts of odd ways.  What you're describing sounds very normal.  When this very same thing happened to me, I called my doctor and asked to speak to a nurse, and she was a great source of help and made me feel calm.  Good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 09:02:35 PM »
Sorry you're going thru this, but I'm glad I'm not the only one! I've been having mid cycle spotting for quite a while (I'm 36). I would mention it to your OB b/c if you're anything like me, you're not going to be ok w/o having it investigated. They sent me for an U/S b/c their first thought is it could be a polyp. They ended up finding a bunch of issues with me, all benign according to the tests. Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline LaRielera

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »
Have you been more active than usual? I sometimes spot a bit when I've been exercising more heavily than normal or doing especially strenuous work.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lynbeechwood

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 10:41:26 PM »
Thanks for the responses. No I haven't been doing anything vigorously to maybe cause this. I have felt more emotional lately and stressed due to my kids being in their teenage years- I am always worried about them.
I just don't want to have to go down the road of tests upon tests due to my hypochondria issues.
I'm gonna see my pcp on Monday- so I will see what she suggests,
Thank you all
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 10:55:30 PM »
I'm 42 and while my cycle still comes at its normal time, I feel like I have pms before and after my period and during ovulation. It's also shorter and heavier. Hormone changes do weird things.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: