Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Please tell me I'm not the only one freaking about this Ebola outbreak..  (Read 157 times)

Offline DahliaDollface

• Paranoid Parrot in female form.
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So, a while ago during all of my worries about Long QT and Aneurysms I broke down and cried to my wife that I'd give anything to go back to some of my childhood worries and fears. They seemed so much more manageable than the ones I have now as an adult.  My main one was always the fear of viruses and pandemics but more specifically Ebola. Which is  what happens when you're a very precocious 7 year old who will pick up anything and read it and who has a mother who watches waaay too much Dateline. 

It seems that I've gotten my wish seeing as there is now an outbreak of Ebola that is spanning three countries(Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia) and has the UK and France on high alert. That fact alone scares me more than anything as it tells me that they have a reason to be on high alert. I've followed every outbreak since 2000 and while other most definitely had higher rates of infection and death, this one is entirely different in it's spread and the fact that it's reached a capital city with not only an international airport but that is also a port city.

The spread makes me worry that as some people have feared, the virus has mutated to become airbourne and if that's the case, some scientists have predicated it will cause the end of humanity as we know it in the most gruesome fashion imaginable.

Am I freaking out for nothing or does this seem like an actual reasonable worry given the fact that other countries are on high alert? I've been doing relatively well HA wise (Went to the doctor for the first time in almost ten years, had several tests, have left my "safe space" for the most part on most days, started CBT, etc.) and I feel like all my progress is about to be squashed by a very real threat.

Also, if you haven't heard of Ebola or don't know the specifics about it- DON'T GOOGLE IT! Trust me, You'll be doing yourself a huge favor.
Bookmark and Share
"Now head towards the light, the dark has no place here."

Offline Beth

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Honestly, I've read the stories about the ebola outbreak in Guinea and Liberia, but have stopped just short of worrying about it -- I mean, I guess I worry in the sense that I feel bad for the people involved, but I'm not fixated on the idea that it's coming here.

I think, for better or worse, I've reached a point where I feel like I can only worry about so many things at a time. So I tend to worry most about the issues that are most immediate in my life. I figure if other problems (like ebola) become an issue, I'll worry about them when necessary.

Something my therapist told me (and I tend to agree): When you're worried about something, try to figure out whether your worrying will lead you into doing something constructive. For example: If I'm a smoker and I'm worried about developing lung problems, will my worry lead me to quit smoking? Then you could say that's a productive worry.

If I worry about ebola, will that have any impact on my chances of coming into contact with ebola? All I can do at the moment is avoid countries in the part of Africa where they're having outbreaks -- this is easy, because I have no plans to visit Africa anytime soon!

Generally, though, worrying about ebola is a pretty unproductive worry. I understand it's a horrifying disease (it bothers me so much just to think about it), but I'm going to leave that one in the background for now. Hopefully, you can too ...
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You're not the only one, but mostly I'm just trying not to think about it.  If it does happen, there's not a damn thing to be done about it, and I'm not a doctor or a scientist.  I can do pretty much less than nothing about it. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: