Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Why MS?  (Read 357 times)

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Why MS?
« on: April 03, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »
Just out of curiosity since it is a very common fear here. Is it because anxiety manifests a lot if the same type of symptoms? Is there something particular you fear about the disease? I understand the illogical thinking and strange physical symptoms that anxiety causes people to have, so I am not being condescending. I sympathize with all of you who suffer from this fear. I just feel there is a lot of misunderstanding about MS in general and I hope you are not fearing something because you do not understand it fully. I happen to have MS for those of you who do not know. I see so many of you spin your wheels on this and it seems to me that you are suffering much, much more than anyone I know with this disease. I hope you find a way out of that darkness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Roxy2012

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Why MS?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 10:29:09 PM »
Just out of curiosity since it is a very common fear here. Is it because anxiety manifests a lot if the same type of symptoms? Is there something particular you fear about the disease? I understand the illogical thinking and strange physical symptoms that anxiety causes people to have, so I am not being condescending. I sympathize with all of you who suffer from this fear. I just feel there is a lot of misunderstanding about MS in general and I hope you are not fearing something because you do not understand it fully. I happen to have MS for those of you who do not know. I see so many of you spin your wheels on this and it seems to me that you are suffering much, much more than anyone I know with this disease. I hope you find a way out of that darkness.

It does seem to be a big trend on here. Even reading back to posts years ago its all over.

Im not sure why Im so scared of that. I guess Im just scared of diseases in general. I dont know :( It just seems to be there one that has stuck with me.

So if you dont mind me asking and maybe its not something to ask. But how does MS affect you? Everyday life? Im not asking for your symptoms just wondering how you're doing with it. How long have you had it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:54:40 PM »
Most of my symptoms actually didn't crop up until I researched MS extensively. The symptoms of anxiety are similar, but in my case I don't think that's what the basis of my fear is. My problem is that when I read about symptoms of any disease I hear about or fear, within days I have these symptoms. When I was afraid of the brain amoeba from n. Fowleri, I had a stiff neck and bad headaches, only, of course, after reading that these were symptoms.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »
I don't find MS scary.  From what I've read it's not lethal, nor lifespan shortening, and it's easy to take care of.  I think the fear comes because many symptoms of anxiety mimic it, and other diseases.

You hear a lot about brain tumors and hypochondriacs. We're not just scared because our brain is our most precious organ, we're scared because of symptoms. When you have dizzy spells, tension headaches that won't go away, or vision trouble you don't think "Oh, well, that's just intense stress". You think your brain is damaged, there's something in your brain or on your brain. You research and find symptoms for tumors, like headaches and dizziness, and panic because that sounds like you.

I remember fearing MS once. I actually took comfort in telling myself I probably have Multiple Sclerosis or fibromyalgia; it was better than the other things that worried me. That random pain? Just my fibro, don't worry. That cold ice feeling under my skin? Fibromyalgia, obviously, don't panic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:15:29 PM »

So if you dont mind me asking and maybe its not something to ask. But how does MS affect you? Everyday life? Im not asking for your symptoms just wondering how you're doing with it. How long have you had it?

No I don't mind answering questions at all. I am doing great actually. I am in remission now and still have some mild residual issues but nothing compares with the living hell that is anxiety in my book. I take disease modifying drugs that really seem to be helping. I was diagnosed in early October of last year and my neuro believes I have had it for a year or so prior to that - based on my MRI results. I take vitamins, try to eat the best I can I stick to my regimen. Seriously I am just peachy! Having MS these days is not the same as it was just 20 years ago. Only in extremely rare cases is someone diagnosed today going to suffer the same fate as people who have had it for years and gone without these treatments. Even before the treatments of today it was never guaranteed you were wheel chair bound. It is even less likely now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »
Is MS easy to spot on an MRI.  My MRIs of 2011 and 2012 for other reasons did not indicate MS.  Lesions of migarines yet the drs. never even mentioned them as an issue.

Also is it common to find it start over age 55?   I have heard it more shows up in 30's.

Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline michelle360

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 11:42:17 PM »
Is MS easy to spot on an MRI.  My MRIs of 2011 and 2012 for other reasons did not indicate MS.  Lesions of migarines yet the drs. never even mentioned them as an issue.

Also is it common to find it start over age 55?   I have heard it more shows up in 30's.

My PCP and neuro seemed pretty confident based on my brain and optic nerve MRIs. I don't know how easy it is, but in my own experience they caught it pretty darn quick. My eye doctor was the one who pushed for the extensive tests. As far as age is concerned it's not super common over 50 but it does occur. Thing to remember is MS is pretty rare and over 50 even moreso. So your chances are slim. Did they spot white matter hyperintensities on your MRI? If so they would consider those with a clinical history and then do more testing if they suspected MS at all. As we age apparently a few spots on the MRIs are not uncommon, especially if you suffer from migraines, have a history of smoking, etc. I wouldn't let it stres you at all. Though I know it is scary to know there are spots in your noggin!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 11:59:24 PM »
Thank you for your kind reply.   

2012 MRI     indicated few foci of white matter signal abnormality in subcorticol distribution.  Non specific finding, most likey sequels of prior migrianes or chronic microvascular ishcemic angiopathy.  Other demyelinating conditons not excluded.   Few foci subcorticol T2 signal abnormality in gray matter No abnormality antonomic, restricted diffusion or pathologic.

The mri of 2011 said...subcentimeter focus of flair hypertense signal in subcorticol matter.  of the superolateral left frontal lobe  a non specific finding   Addditional small flair hyperintense lesions are identified in the periventricular deep and subcortical white matter in the cerebral hemispheres. 

Impression section which seems to be a final assessment says.   Mild cerebral white matter change suggestive of chronic microangiopathy

That is a lot, but you likely understand it.
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 05:01:41 AM »
I was actually afraid of PPMS for a year...wouldn't have been afraid of the regular one, but this type is the worst. As for why? We hypos are terryfied of lethal diseases and the ones which get you disabled soon, like PPMS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 07:31:53 AM »
Yup, hypo's only fear the giants... ALS, PPMS, terminal cancer, brain tumors, N. fowleri infection, yada yada yada...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Huitzilopochtli

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »
Yup, hypo's only fear the giants... ALS, PPMS, terminal cancer, brain tumors, N. fowleri infection, yada yada yada...
Oh my God, I hadn't considered that I might have yada yada yada!! I've been having some shoulder pain, and that's probably like one of the early symptoms, right? Man, there goes my weekend...
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »
Oh my God, I hadn't considered that I might have yada yada yada!! I've been having some shoulder pain, and that's probably like one of the early symptoms, right? Man, there goes my weekend...

Shoulder pain is THE hallmark symtpom... I'm afraid you've got a case of the yada's.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Karloff29

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »
I've had the Yada, Yada, Yadas for months now... I have all the signs: sneezing Cheerios, smelling Vanilla all the time, singing songs in reverse. My doctor doesn't want to scare me, but he's pretty sure it's the Yadas  :-)
Bookmark and Share

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 01:33:06 PM »
That is a great point, Michelle.  I think alot of this has to do with anxiety--not just the symptoms themselves but the unknown (ie "what if I'm diagnosed with x, y, z soon?" etc).  It must be, because although I am not afraid of MS, I have wasted a lot of time fretting about other non-fatal conditions in the last few years which are perfectly manageable to live with (diabetes and Dysautonomia/POTS being the big ones). I have to remind myself if I had those problems WITHOUT anxiety disorder, my life would be much more productive. Same applies wih the MS-phobes I'm sure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »
I think that I'm just afraid of getting MS because I'm so young. I haven't done all of the things I want to or gone to the places I want to go yet. I'm an athlete and can't imagine life without sports, if I had MS those would be gone. I think for teen hypochondriacs like myself, the fear stems from knowing that I haven't accomplished what I'd like to yet, and if I was diagnosed with something either fatal or debilitating, it would keep me from chasing my dreams.

As for why hypochondriacs in general fear it- like I said already it's because when anxiety becomes physical it mimics MS in a lot of ways. Plus we can give ourselves just about any symptom we fear after googling.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything