Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Burning and sensitive skin?  (Read 126 times)

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
Burning and sensitive skin?
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:52:04 PM »
The past few days I've been having really sensitive skin. I think I got a really mild sunburn after being out for a couple of hours (though it was quite hot, it was overcast but I know that can still burn). My upper arms mainly and shoulder areas and a bit of forearms feel so sensitive. The second day I saw very slight pink on my skin, and today's the 3rd day. I have just had a weird strong burning sensation in my left forearm in an area maybe the size of about a half dollar. Now I am flipping because I keep imagining I'm gonna have that everywhere (so now I start zoning in on my other arm and wondering...).

I was watching "24" where they torture people with some kind of stuff that makes their skin feel like it's burning so I wonder if I am internalizing that?

Anyone else get weird sensitivity in their skin sometimes? How long does it last? I'm trying not to google...

Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline noella6

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Burning and sensitive skin?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
Try not to worry!

I had, and obsessed over this last year.
Bad year for me, lots of stress and a bereavement. Had odd patches of burning skin on arm and leg, like a stinging burn, sunburn-ish, but skin looked normal and pushing it didn't hurt. It freaked me out about all sorts of diseases, but it really was anxiety. I also felt very sensitive to touch for a while and the slightest knock felt like my bones were broken. Wondered if i had fibromyalgia but nothing came of it in the end.

It lasted, that beast, for nearly 9 months! So don't fret about the timescale. It can linger for a long time!
Best is not to fear, it. It eventually becomes background noise, so to speak, and then fades.
Bookmark and Share
"Giants exist to deceive, they retreat if they're clearly perceived"

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Burning and sensitive skin?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 10:37:57 PM »
Thank you, noella:) I was reading up on it a bit and found a lot of people talking about it. I called my old therapist and he said it's somataform and it's not going to kill me. He's seen lots of patients with it. I have been stressed but the weird thing is that though my mom's been on a complaint rampage lately, I have not been responding as I normally would. I usually would get mad and get into an argument to defend myself etc. When she complains now I just sit there and listen and I feel like I'm not feeling anything at all. It's so weird. Maybe my feelings are going into my skin instead. I don't even feel mad. I feel just a tinge frustrated but not enough to bother talking about stuff with her. I know she's just venting but we are staying with her and she's tired of houseguests so she has been nitpicking every little thing. This has made me furious in the past but I just barely feel anything the past few days. I wanted to cry the other day but there's no feelings of anger toward her even when most of her complaints are exaggerations and sometimes just stuff that has nothing to do with us at all.

My arms are most affected and then usual "sunburn" areas like shoulders and a bit of the chest. Just feels hot and really sensitive and hurts a little. I splash cold water on now and then. It hurts to touch my skin. Don't want to let clothing touch it. Then I get these zinging burning areas of pain...just had one in my right wrist.

So much going on, I keep getting symptom after symptom. :(:(:(

Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Tags: