Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Stringing a bunch of things together? Or something serious (like Paget's)??  (Read 257 times)

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I posted something a few days ago when this started, but I've since developed a few more things that I'm not sure are related or not and I really need help.  So I thought I'd just start a new post.

I do have a personal history with breast cancer, diagnosed at 24, I'm 30 now.  Just had my 5 year mammogram.  All scans since dx have been fine.  I know this sets me apart from a lot of you, but please help if you can.

Anyway...

This started right after my mammogram about a month ago.  The day after, I started having a slight pain in my lower chest above my left breast.  It only happened when I would lean forward and breathe in deeply.  The last week or so it seems to have gotten a tiny bit worse and not only happens when leaning over but also when moving in certain ways too.

Two days ago, I developed a hive-like rash on the front of my left breast that looks like a heat rash that you can get in body folds.  But it was on the front of my breast, not the bottom.  Applied some hydrocortisone that seems to help some but then yesterday I noticed that my left nipple had a dry, scaly looking spot on it and was flaking.  Of course I googled and read about Paget's disease of the breast.  OMG I freaked out.  I wish I'd never read about it.  The fact that I've actually had br.ca. makes it so much worse.

I had my (hopefully LAST) yearly follow up with my oncologist today and showed it to him.  He didn't even blink and said it was nothing.  He said it looked like nothing ominous and that'd he seen Paget's and this didn't resemble that at all.  He also said the pain in my chest could be a soft tissue "injury" from the mammogram and that it can take a couple months to get better.  Like I said, it's been a month already.  But he also said if it doesn't get better in a month we can re-evaluate then (based on my history).  That freaked me out.  Does this mean this could be something horrible if it doesn't get better in a month??

THE THING IS... like an idiot, I totally forgot to tell him that I think it's actually gotten a bit worse since it's been there, not better.  And the fact that he said we may re-evaluate in a month if it's not better is really scaring me since it hasn't shown any signs of getting better, only worse (it's still very mild pain though, like a 1 on 1-10 scale).  I'm afraid that maybe this would have changed his decision to wait and now I don't know what to do.

AAANNDD, now I have a tiny white dot under the skin of my nipple in an entirely DIFFERENT area (but same breast).  It was probably there when he examined me but I'm not sure.  I'm sure it hasn't always been there, and it's not raised - it's really under the skin.

This is throwing me into a tizzy!!  Someone please tell me - am I'm stringing a bunch of unrelated things together??  Should I get a second opinion?  Dreadful, terrible things keep running through my mind.  I need help!  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline confunded

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I can totally see why you are freaking out with the history you have had! Anxiety can most definitely cause chest pain (I get random pains like you have described) and if your doctor saw the rash and said it's nothing, I would trust his expertise!

How about trying to give the chest pain 2 more weeks, and reevaluate then. Everytime the pain comes up say, "I acknowledge you are there and causing discomfort, and I am busy living life right now. I will revisit this concern in 2 weeks and decide to go to the doctor if it does not improve or worsens. "

This way you are trying to distract yourself from it. If the pain and rash go away while you are distracted, it could be anxiety.

Hope this helps ! :) much peace to you. HA is so exhausting. I can relate to your fears- I just had a breast ultrasound today and am waiting for results :(.  Hang in there!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thank you so much for responding.  To be clear, the pain isn't deep into my chest, but feels more superficial if that makes sense.  Toward the front of my chest rather than deep.  It's above my breast adjacent to my armpit.  And also, the pain isn't random but happens specifically when I'm leaning forward (like over my computer) and breathe in.  It also hurts when I move certain ways.  Because of this, it seems anxiety is an unlikely cause and that's what's worrying me.  :(  Sending positive thoughts about your breast ultrasound.  Let me know how it goes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone else, please?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Roman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Good morning I'm a male and could not possibly know what you're going through, but my wife had breast cancer twice so I understand the fear you're experiencing. You just had a check up with your dr. He gave the all clear sign and didnt seem concerned. The pain is probably from the mammogram or a slight muscle pull. The dr. Is just being vigilant with you knowing your fear and I think he just has your best interest at heart good luck try not to stress too much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Good morning I'm a male and could not possibly know what you're going through, but my wife had breast cancer twice so I understand the fear you're experiencing. You just had a check up with your dr. He gave the all clear sign and didnt seem concerned. The pain is probably from the mammogram or a slight muscle pull. The dr. Is just being vigilant with you knowing your fear and I think he just has your best interest at heart good luck try not to stress too much.

Thank you, Roman.  So sorry to hear about your wife having it twice, but I really hope she's doing well and kicked cancer's a$$ for good.  Being a husband of someone who's gone through breast cancer, you do understand all the emotion and fears that go into it, so I appreciate you responding.  I really hope you're right about the pain being just a muscle strain of some sort.  But don't you think it's odd that it's lasted a month already and doesn't seem to be getting better (or maybe a little worse)?  I do have a 16 month old baby so I doubt that helps but this hasn't bothered me until after the mammogram. 

Of course all I'm thinking is cancer recurrence/metastasis to my chest - not sure if they could have seen that on the mammo or not.  Ugh I'm such a mess.  Every little ache and pain that I can't explain becomes my next death sentence.

Roman, how is your wife coping with the anxieties of recurrence?  Is there something she does to help alleviate her fears?  Maybe I could learn something from her... lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Roman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey air yes she had it bi laterally within 3 years of each other. She had itin situ so both we're caught very early thank god. Through it all I know she was very scared but she hung in there just being positive. She's put it behind her has her mammograms yearly but still gets emotional when news articles or something comes on tv. I support her every step of the way. But in your case I wouldn't worry about it those mammograms flatten the breast and cause soreness as well as having a 16 month old has to aggravate it. Don't worry you just mammogram and all is well remember that. People like you and my wife have earned something that not many people can say you looked the devil in the face and crushed him that's why you are called SUVIVORS.      :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey air yes she had it bi laterally within 3 years of each other. She had itin situ so both we're caught very early thank god. Through it all I know she was very scared but she hung in there just being positive. She's put it behind her has her mammograms yearly but still gets emotional when news articles or something comes on tv. I support her every step of the way. But in your case I wouldn't worry about it those mammograms flatten the breast and cause soreness as well as having a 16 month old has to aggravate it. Don't worry you just mammogram and all is well remember that. People like you and my wife have earned something that not many people can say you looked the devil in the face and crushed him that's why you are called SUVIVORS.      :yes:

I had invasive ductal (I think that's what it was called), but not in situ.  I'm just worried that maybe the mammogram wouldn't have been able to see the spot that now hurts since it's a little higher than my breast.  I know they do see a LOT in those mammos so it might be possible but I'm not sure.  It's adjacent to my armpit above my breast.  And that pain's been there a month.  Do you think it could really be cause by the mammo and stick around that long?  Just want your honest opinion.  So worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Roman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Absolutely it can stop worrying, it's probably too from toting a 16 month old around as we'll. we have an 18 month old grand daughter who lives with us so I know the pains and aches from that. Believe me it's nothing. If you can get a massage and see if it helps, heating pad try different things. If the pain is still there then go see the dr. As advised but I really wouldn't worry about it. It soooooooo sounds muscular.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Absolutely it can stop worrying, it's probably too from toting a 16 month old around as we'll. we have an 18 month old grand daughter who lives with us so I know the pains and aches from that. Believe me it's nothing. If you can get a massage and see if it helps, heating pad try different things. If the pain is still there then go see the dr. As advised but I really wouldn't worry about it. It soooooooo sounds muscular.  :yes:

Thank you.  Your reassurance really helps.  It's my left breast/chest and I usually carry him around with my right arm, but when you're chasing around a tasmanian devil all day I guess it could exacerbate the issue (whether it's from mammogram or whatever).  I really appreciate your input and encouragement :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mvalachovic

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I just wanted to reply to say that if there is anyone who could give you an accurate reassurance it's the oncologist you saw. The fact that he/she saw it and said its nothing is very reassuring. The pain is the only thing the dr couldn't actually visibly see and I think the clear mammogram is also reassuring. Just try to tell yourself that there could be any number of things causing the ache and it's likely muscular or like an inflammation of a rib or something. The fact that you have to move in a certain way and breathe to recreate it seems like it could be made worse by your anxiety and doing it over and over. Good luck. I hope it just goes away for you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I just wanted to reply to say that if there is anyone who could give you an accurate reassurance it's the oncologist you saw. The fact that he/she saw it and said its nothing is very reassuring. The pain is the only thing the dr couldn't actually visibly see and I think the clear mammogram is also reassuring. Just try to tell yourself that there could be any number of things causing the ache and it's likely muscular or like an inflammation of a rib or something. The fact that you have to move in a certain way and breathe to recreate it seems like it could be made worse by your anxiety and doing it over and over. Good luck. I hope it just goes away for you!

Thanks, Mvalachovic.  I know you're right and, funnily enough, the rash and nipple issue is almost gone now.  So my main focus at this point of course is the pain.  I know the mammogram is reassuring but I'm just not sure it would have been able to see that far up since it's just above my breast.  If I knew that it could, I probably wouldn't worry about it, but I kinda doubt it could have seen that area :-\  The pain happens even if I'm not trying to recreate it - like a few minutes ago when I was leaning over the kitchen counter to write something and just breathing in, I could feel it.  Maybe I'm just noticing it more, but it almost seems like it's getting worse and happens more easily.  I suppose it could be muscular (it kind of feels that way) but why would it happen when I breathe in?  Ugh I feel like I'm going crazy  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So I decided to email my doctor about the pain worsening a teeny tiny bit and happening more easily (not just when I lean over and breath in anymore and now also when I move in certain ways too).  He responded with, "I don't think this represents a serious process but I suggest just to be cautious you make an appointment with your breast surgeon."  My breast surgeon is the one who typically orders any scans as they're needed.  I'm absolutely freaking out now, thinking maybe this pain really is something to worry about. 

BTW, the rash and nipple thing is completely gone but this pain (well, more like mild discomfort) persists and has been going on for a month now.  I am so freaking out that I have cancer everywhere and am going to die and leave my precious 16-month-old son without a mommy  :traurig001:  Someone please help.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: