Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Older age with HA  (Read 1382 times)

Online forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Older age with HA
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »
I am glad to see this is still going. what makes our HA so bad I think is the fear of death. I wish I could come to terms with this and wanting to. I feel with my faith I should get there. the weird thing is I used to be afraid of cancer but now I am afraid of heart disease and heart attack. which like you say would be the best way to go cancer is the worst as it is a horrible death. where is this wire part on here I will try to get into it. I love this thread.
Bookmark and Share

Online judi957

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2014, 10:43:36 AM »
I'm so glad to meet so many others with my concerns.  I just joined the Wire Group and am looking forward to talking to all of you.   :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline rita1

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2014, 01:50:41 PM »
YES!  My Health Anxiety has seriously increased with age.  Menopause was awful due to the many symptoms, but at least I could fall back on saying it was due to that.  As we get older, we see more disease around us and as you mentioned, we can no longer think we are "too young to get that".  It's hard to deal with the reality of aging at the same time that one has terrible HA.  I am in the middle of this problem and don't know how to handle it.  Every checkup for anything causes intense fear and there are so many more routine screenings as we get older.  I always end up with some false positive that causes the need for endless rounds of more testing.  This cycle of "wait and see" makes me crazier than anything.  Anyone else had frequent false postiives on routine tests?
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
yep, when the anxiety/depression acts up, my HA gets much worse and at 56 I know things can happen, it was bad enough when I was younger and had panic/anxiety but I was in good shape and youth was on my side.  Yet I can totally relate to the post above about false positives, its not that its a false positive but I have had a lot of tests over the years and they always find something that is supposed to not be a problem, but still I would like to have a totally clean test.  At least my first colonoscopy 4 years ago was perfectly fine.  But an endoscopy found a polyp (taken care of) and a "soft submucosal" something or other that probably isn't anything but I will get it looked at again, and this time get it sonogramed, I know my heart is slow to relax (getting older, and heart stuff runs in the family), got a carotid artery scan twice, have mild plaque despite taking Lipitor for years, but I guess the emphasis is on "mild".  Finally got a cat scan this summer that showed a bone lesion in one arm that was interpreted as an infarct, a liver cyst, and some small "hypodensities" in the kidneys that according to the doc was nothing to worry about.  Oh yeah, when I first got sick decades ago and MRIs were new they sent me to get a brain scan and I had a pineal cyst, I was convinced that's why I had panic attacks--but turns out lots of people have them and recently one of my sisters had a similar scan and also had a pineal cyst.  Also during that first time they told me I had mitral valve prolapse, but since then the docs say that I really don't have it, I think the definitions have changed for it over the years.  Oh and I have BPH, didn't know that we men get to look forward to that with age, it sucks and I hope they come up with better options than they have now for it, went to one doc that scared me just showing me the equipment they would use to laser it out.  No thanks, I'm counting on something better coming, maybe Nymox, soon.  And because this latest episode is taking so long to resolve (there are better and worse days) I suspect things like pheochromocytoma or carcinoid, but its unlikely if I really analyze it.  Like everyone says, fear of death is involved in this, but I really just want to be fine like before, b/c I know that worry doesn't change anything, and I'd just like to enjoy whatever years I have without feelings of anxiety or sadness unless I have a damn good reason.
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 03:15:11 PM »
Rita, I went in for a physical two years ago as my primary care physician was retiring and he wanted to see all his patients before he left. My bloodworm came back with low thyroid and higher (not super high) cholesterol. Everything else was normal. He upped my thyroid meds and I was retested a month later. The second time my thyroid was normal and my cholesterol was down, but my liver enzymes were slightly elevated. He immediately scheduled me for an abdominal ultrasound, and I had multiple vials of blood taken to test for everything from hepatitis to autoimmune liver disease. I was frantic. The ultrasound showed nothing other than a "slightly fatty liver," which the technician said is pretty normal for someone my age. The bloodwork came back and I ended up having my ANA titer test positive. I have come to learn, through my new doctor, that this could be a result of my thyroid or simply some people have positive ANA antibodies. But I was put through the medical ringer and it scared the crap out of me. I ended up going back to my new doctor after not being able to eat or sleep due to stress, and he was great and put me at ease, assuring me I was fine. Incidentally, he retested my liver enzymes and they were normal. He said that liver enzymes can be affected by tons of things - alcohol, a cold, a cut, tylenol - and that elevated enzymes happen all the time.

Well, aside from being really angry with my old PCP, and really liking my new, non-hysterical PCP, I have been pretty terrified to go back to the doctor for fear of this kind of run-around again. So yes, I completely understand where you are coming from.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »
Thank you 2jrts.    I appreciate the helps

Any others 50 and up, join the Wire group if you would like.
Now we just need to start talking.  lol

I think we have a group chat box too. 
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
Here is my immediate issue. I am having a mammogram tomorrow and it is the first in two years. The reason is, i had a false positive two years ago and have been turned off ever since. I am going to be worried until I get my results. Ahhhh!
Bookmark and Share

Offline etethorpe

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2014, 06:04:04 AM »
First of all - what is the wire thing everyone is talking about?

I don't have as much time to come on here as I wish I did, which may be a good thing but I so much do want to talk to others my age who are afflicted with this terrible fear.  I think of it more as health depression than health anxiety because whenever I am faced with a possible disease I get extremely depressed, not anxious.

I also find my disease of fear changing as I get older.  It used to be mostly cancer, but now as I start getting "symptoms of aging" I also fear things such as heart disease and ALS, two biggies that are going on right now.

Another is the fear of dementia which I am sure I have right now.  I am not sure if the dementia is from Alz's or some other disease going on but I feel so befuddled and confused sometimes, the right words come to me, etc.  And my handwriting has gone downhill tremendously - I remember reading an article a couple years which said that can be an early sign of alz's.  I am so not ready for getting older.

Greend - good luck with your mammo.  I hope they will be able to give you the results right then and there so you don't have to suffer through the torture of waiting. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2014, 08:25:58 AM »
Thanks for the good wishes elethorpe. I am in Canada, and we normally don 't get our results immediately. I will have to wait for some radiologist to look at it. I really do have to learn patience.

I am not sure what this wire thing is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2014, 10:53:23 AM »
I agree that a Board for over 50's would be great.

I just turned 62.  I agree with the other comments that we can no longer use the excuse that we are too young for certain illnesses.  On the contrary, we are in or approaching "Prime Time" for health issues.  We're those "older" folks the health insurers don't like, for good reason.  We cost them a lot more in claims.

My most recent aches and pains, it turns out, relate to kidney stones confirmed by CT scan of the abdomen/pelvis and a cystoscope (not as bad as I'd feared).  Urologist said kidney stones my size (1 inch) take years to develop and now the biggest needs to come out surgically.  So, it's no longer only health anxiety at my age, it is health issue realty.  And I still have my health anxiety, now related to the recent X-ray and pelvis CT on top of all the other abdominal X-rays I've had over the years for Crohns Disease. 

So, yes, health anxiety still exists and even worsens after age 50, if you ask me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scooter

• Poke This Member
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2014, 07:03:43 PM »
I am over 50 too and think that one problem with aging is that all blood tests, scans, doctor visits, etc, will have something wrong, so we never really get a break from the HA. Right now I am dealing with high liver enzymes (being sent for an liver ultrasound), and a few months back it was an ovarian cyst and menopause. Add to that routine colonoscopies, ekgs, mammograms, and my always present high cholesterol, and I feel like I never get a break from the worry. And don't forget all the little pains and creaks and things not working perfectly due to age. It is seriously mentally exhausting. I wonder how other people are able to just shrug and ignore it. I can sometimes convince my rational brain to relax but my subconscious makes the low level background worry a constant (with occasional flares of panic of course). Sigh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 07:40:57 PM »
I started the 50+  in the Wire section of AZ.   IT looks like we have a chat there too.  Not a forum board section though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2014, 07:46:50 PM »
A common thread seems that as we age they keep finding something or a nothing something.   Me too.
With HA, that is never helpful, as then we think about it all.

I don't think we could have a board or forum section alone. 
The Wire is like an AZ ***** in a way.  To the right top of the main AZ page is Check Out Anxiety Wire Zone.  Click on that and it will take you there.  Sign in with your usual AZ log in.  Go to the top bar where it  says More.  Click on that and you will see 50+ to choose to click on.

The **** is the censore.   fase book
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
With so many of us 50+  having common thoughts and concerns, I hope we can talk in AZ Wire.  There is a spot for discussion.  Feel free to start.  And we have a chat box too.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »
I tried to sign in to the wire using my regular email and password and it isn't accepting it. Is anyone else having problems?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: