Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart issues.. it's always something!!  (Read 207 times)

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Heart issues.. it's always something!!
« on: April 03, 2014, 05:22:02 AM »
So I hoped after my brain tumour fears were gone that I wouldn't be back here as I spent quite a while fretting over every single headache sign and symptom that has now pretty much dissappeared, after being reassured with an MRI that I didn't have a tumour.

Now however I have heart worries! I work as a cardiology secretary so as you can imagine, taking my mind off this is pretty much impossible. It all started with palpitations. I have had them for a while an usually ignored them (before I become so anxious) Now I can't stop fixating on them. They occur at random times, I get them most mornings and I just feel an uneasiness. When I check my pulse it pauses and then starts again with a thud. This can last from 5 seconds to a minute and I have random episodes throughout the day.

Then, just over a month ago I started getting pain behind my sternum which I tried to ignore as best I could.. but you know what it's like! I kept touching it, which then made the area sore. I then kept getting a dead arm. Not necessarily with the 'chest pain' but randomally, at work and sitting at home on sofa. It felt quite painful and heavy. Having these three symptoms terrified me and I immediately thought 'heart'! I went to the GP and they reassured me with an ECG which was normal (I didn't have the palps at the time.. typical) and said it sounds anxiety related as I'm young and healthy. I had bloods.. all normal.

So it continues and I can't stop fixating on it. My chest pain varies from sharp pains on the left side, around breast, sometimes on the right side and more often like a stinging sensation in the centre of my chest. Yesterday at work I had a really painful arm and shoulder blade. I can't see what could be causing this and although the GP has tried to reassure me, I just can't understand what it is!

The palps really scare me and I just want them to stop as they seem to happen even when I don't think about them. My mum gets them too and was told it's just normal. I noticed also when I drink alcohol, my palps become really bad. Which is a shame as I don't want to not have a social life!

I just want to be content and get on with my life but this is taking over. My BT fears were around xmas and it ruined my xmas, now 4 months on I have something new and it's my birthday on Monday. This anxiety is sucking the life out of me :-(

Advice anyone?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart issues.. it's always something!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 05:40:51 AM »
I always say to make out a list of all the things you ever thought you had. Put an x beside the ones that were real. Leave the ones you imagined alone. You can do this for a few months. I am betting you will not be putting an x anywhere at all. Now from this you have to learn. Exactly what the mind can do. You can sit there and worry over something you don't have. But the next time you think you have something, go back to the list. See if it is on the list already. If it is, tell yourself ' I had this one before and it was nothing but my mind playing tricks on me '. The whole thing here is about learning. Not been negative. Been positive. Accepting you have had similar worries in the past that turned out to be just your mind playing tricks on you. Easy to waste hours each day full of anxiety over something you don't even have. You can have tests done. Chances are they will all come back negative.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 05:53:11 AM »
The first time I experienced that (felt like 2 quick beats, a pause and then a hard thud) was 25 years ago.  Was happening for 4 hours straight every 30 seconds!  I couldn't even sleep.  Got a Holtor monitor for 24 hours, at least it DID it on the monitor and the doctor saw it...   told me it's benign (anxiety)  I still get them on and off, but never as bad as that first time. I get all different kind, some seem like my heart is "rolling" in my throat, I'll take my pulse and there won't BE a pulse!  WEIRD!  My mom gets that kind too - she was checked out and was fine.  I think the pain is from you fixating on the palpitations and worrying about that area - you CAN cause yourself REAL physical pain with your mind.  I did that with my stomach!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 06:02:03 AM »
Thanks for your replies both of you.

I told myself I wouldn't come back to this forum because I wouldn't need to but i've found myself here again hoping for reassurance. Even when everyone around me thinks i'm fine, I feel like i'm suffering in silence becuase I don't want to keep going on about the same thing over and over.

I just find it so hard to concentrate on anything else.. walking to and from work I worry i'm more out of breath than usual, I wake up and expect the palps then they come... I go to sleep to escape the feeling and dread waking up.

Damn anxiety!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Roman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:52:14 AM »
Please don't get into a depression over this. I go through the same thing I've gone to the ER on numerous occasions for racing heart, sweating and it's always the same thing anxiety. I'm sure what your experiencing is anxiety. All the symptoms you have can be manifested by anxiety. Seeing that your tests were ok I wouldn't worry too much about it. Have a great and stop stressing. :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Illusionfive

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 12:19:07 PM »
I have been going through this everyday. And think I'm gonna die anytime. I go to the er all the time.  Hey all say it's anxiety.  But I don't think it is. But I don't know what else to do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 01:43:01 PM »
Thanks for the replies I really do appreciate it. I'm so upset and frustrated this evening because I can't stop obsessing. I can't remember a day when I didn't used to feel like this but I don't know how or why it's happened to me. I have thoughts of going away and by that I don't mean seriously taking my life but I'm exhausted. It's taking over my whole life and whilst on the outside I might seem ok, Im so not!

I know I can get over it as I got over the bt fear but only after an MRI.. I don't want to go down the cardiac investigations route as I work there and they'll think I'm crazy! I just want it to go away.

Funny when you come somewhere like this and see how much anxiety effects people. Meant to be on a work night out tomorrow and a birthday surprise?? On Saturday but I don't want to drink out of fear but I love drinking and being sociable. Anxiety is debilitating!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Illusionfive

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »
I went to a cardiologist because of all this. They found mild cardiomyopathy   But in the x rays it's not there. It could be a false positive.  They did a stress and echo on me.  My chest always feels something. They all say it's anxiety. But I guess I'll go with that. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: