Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: How can I ever start recovering when the symptoms never stop?  (Read 524 times)

Offline Blueberry

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How can I ever start recovering when the symptoms never stop?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 11:28:56 PM »
I know that pain. Hypochondria must be one of the worst mental issues out there. I was a perfectly happy teen 4 months ago and now I'm just stressed and in oain every minute of the day. I don't even like napping anymore. I almost wish I could go to a psych ward.

I keep on freaking out about cancer. It's always cancer. Why cancer? It's not brain cancer so it's stomach cancer or colon cancer or skin cancer or bone cancer or ovarian cancer or lukemia or liver cancer.. I finally convinced myself again my head is fine but now I'm worrying about below the neck. I just know one of these days my doctor will give me bad news.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lauren4329

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 08:00:11 AM »
It's gotten so bad that I'm paralyzed with fear about going crazy. I don't know how ill ever be able to fix myself without therapy or meds
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »
You may want to try reading It's not all in your head: how health anxiety may be making you sick. It didn't work miracles for me, but it helped a little and helps me to go back and read some parts when I am panicking that I must be dying.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 94
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:51 PM »
It's gotten so bad that I'm paralyzed with fear about going crazy. I don't know how ill ever be able to fix myself without therapy or meds

I would not be afraid/discouraged if you have to employ the use of either therapy or meds. Health anxiety is a serious, and seriously debilitating, condition. There is NO SHAME in needing to use medication or therapy to help get you through. That is what they're there for, and you WILL NOT have to be reliant on them forever. If anyone tells you you should just be able to pull yourself up by the bootstraps or muscle through on your own, they're idiots. Anxiety is a real disorder that sometimes warrants proper, professional treatment. I did both for a time, and both helped immensely.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
Hi Lauren.  Scary, troubling, bewildering body sensations feel awful and the anxiety starts running our lives.  I hate it.  Just spent 7 hours in the ER a few days ago because I feel every heartbeat irregularity and it triggered panic.  I like the advice Hypo gave.  Live my life even when the body sensations scare me.  Carry on despite the fear and accept that this is a part of me.  Trying to "get rid of it" doesn't work for me.  Wishing you the very best and hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lauren4329

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2014, 01:23:20 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. Although I would love to start meds, my parents are completely against them so that's not an option until I turn 18. I tried therapy but I found the psychologist spent the entire time looking for an underlying issue to treat, not the hypochondria itself. I've had a really good life and great family and friends and there truly is not root to my anxiety like he was trying to find.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2014, 02:52:16 PM »
you may want to try a different therapist, ideally one that specializes in HA (I live in NYC though where I thought it would be easy to find one and still haven't found one that accepts my insurance, so that's more easily said that done).  My therapist even specializes in anxiety but SHE doesn't take HA seriously and is always looking for the underlying issue (in my case, I probably have some, but the HA is real and separate).  I wish I could be more helpful, I'm still struggling myself!
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline lauren4329

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2014, 06:58:46 PM »
That was exactly my problem with mine. I do not have many options living in a small city but hopefully I may find someone soon and good luck to you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »
I suffer from relapses and triggers. I can be doing fine when one little thing comes to mind and then I'm back to square one. My brain tumor fears are near gone except for a lingering fear of sleeping. I am however worried about my abdomen.

I triggered myself just now. My mom just asked me to look up some of her favorite 70s actors and actresses, it just so happens three of them died of cancer. One died 6 weeks after diagnosis and two of them were colon cancer (including the aforementioned one). That caused me to panic.

I was worried today about my gas troubles, nausea, and bloating. I got gas stuck in my chest again and had to begin taking Zantac again. I have been trying to tell myself my IBS popped up after my anxiety began and I get nauseous when I'm anxious but my brain keeps telling me it's coincidental or it was a trigger for the illness. I've had random rib pains and lately stabbing aches but I never... Wait, what the hell would I even have? Lung cancer involves coughing and ovarian cancer would hurt my lower half more. Stomach cancer.. if it's like colon cancer I would be bleeding.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: