Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How can I ever start recovering when the symptoms never stop?  (Read 765 times)

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How can I ever start recovering when the symptoms never stop?
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 11:20:46 PM »
Wonderful to hear you are well Lauren.

There are many online helps about taking thoughts captive.  One may not be the whole help, but several put together may be just right, one building on another.
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline uno76

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 11:21:02 AM »
This post fits me to a t! I'm wondering why this happens to me too.I am currently dealing with the same thing.
It is so frustrating also because during all of this I'm losing weight more and more.I'm in tears now and feel like I'm just sinking.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 12:17:42 PM »
You just gotta calm youself down and convince yourself you're fine. If bad thoughts come to mind, push them out or just stop thinking. Do things to relieve stress, make sure you're hydrated, and sleep well. Keep yourself as stress free as possible.

Somehow a two or three weeks ago I cured my stress but now it's back and I gotta repeat the whole process. It's really hard and I feel terrible but you can do it if you try.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2014, 12:20:05 PM »
this sounds like it could be me.  (to those who have read my many posts telling my story, I am sorry-- I get some kind of solace from writing about it/receiving reassurance).  I developed HA last year, mostly over breast cancer (I found out I was BRCA positive AFTER I had become really concerned about breast cancer due to a friend of a friend dying of it in her 30's).  I thought I kicked it by finding ways to rationalize, etc.  But then a couple weeks ago I started having pain in my side, around the same time learned that my 24 year old neighbor is dying of testicular cancer (knew he had it for a couple years, didn't know he was going to die).  Since then, it has just been a terrible, terrible couple of weeks.  The pain in my side is real.  Doctor said it was muscular because I work out a lot (and have a more mild pain on the left side as well).  But I realized I also had had it for a couple of months only when working out; now have it more or less constantly, although it is mild and dull and disappears occasionally.  Can't stop thinking it's some sort of cancer that's metastasized to my organs. Then I had stomach cramps and digestive issues; became sure I had stomach cancer or some kind of related cancer.  Then my throat felt swollen on one side.  Was sure I had throat cancer.  This morning a colleague told me his wife has BC--set off those fears again.  It is literally never ending, the only relief I get is sleep although even then I find I am dreaming I am told I have cancer or other terrible things.  I even started therapy but it is not helping so far.  In fact, my psychologist even said with my BRCA-2 positivity my HA was "reasonable" which really did not help!
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline lauren4329

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 07:11:02 PM »
My big problem is that I can't seem to ignore the symptoms because they are so painful and distracting. I can't concentrate on my school work because I'm always distracted by pain. This is wrecking my life. I'm so scared of dying, yet I can't live in the moment because of my pain. I worked so hard throughout high school to get into the college of my dreams out of state, but now I'm barely able to get up and go to school, much less be able to move across the country. I want my life back and I don't understand how I'm trying so hard to change my HA mentality but the pain won't let me do that
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 11:28:56 PM »
I know that pain. Hypochondria must be one of the worst mental issues out there. I was a perfectly happy teen 4 months ago and now I'm just stressed and in oain every minute of the day. I don't even like napping anymore. I almost wish I could go to a psych ward.

I keep on freaking out about cancer. It's always cancer. Why cancer? It's not brain cancer so it's stomach cancer or colon cancer or skin cancer or bone cancer or ovarian cancer or lukemia or liver cancer.. I finally convinced myself again my head is fine but now I'm worrying about below the neck. I just know one of these days my doctor will give me bad news.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lauren4329

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 08:00:11 AM »
It's gotten so bad that I'm paralyzed with fear about going crazy. I don't know how ill ever be able to fix myself without therapy or meds
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 09:22:01 AM »
You may want to try reading It's not all in your head: how health anxiety may be making you sick. It didn't work miracles for me, but it helped a little and helps me to go back and read some parts when I am panicking that I must be dying.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 98
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2014, 12:23:51 PM »
It's gotten so bad that I'm paralyzed with fear about going crazy. I don't know how ill ever be able to fix myself without therapy or meds

I would not be afraid/discouraged if you have to employ the use of either therapy or meds. Health anxiety is a serious, and seriously debilitating, condition. There is NO SHAME in needing to use medication or therapy to help get you through. That is what they're there for, and you WILL NOT have to be reliant on them forever. If anyone tells you you should just be able to pull yourself up by the bootstraps or muscle through on your own, they're idiots. Anxiety is a real disorder that sometimes warrants proper, professional treatment. I did both for a time, and both helped immensely.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline e77

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »
Hi Lauren.  Scary, troubling, bewildering body sensations feel awful and the anxiety starts running our lives.  I hate it.  Just spent 7 hours in the ER a few days ago because I feel every heartbeat irregularity and it triggered panic.  I like the advice Hypo gave.  Live my life even when the body sensations scare me.  Carry on despite the fear and accept that this is a part of me.  Trying to "get rid of it" doesn't work for me.  Wishing you the very best and hope you feel better soon.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: