Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I actually have to have surgery....scared of anesthesia mainly  (Read 383 times)

Offline ivyt73

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi Everyone,
I have to have surgery on Monday and I am sick about it.  I have large uterine fibroids that have to come out and I am scheduled to get a da vinci (robotic) removal of them.  It is a laparascopic, outpatient surgery so that is good but I am just super freaked about going under general anesthesia and scared I won't come out of it. I have had HA almost my whole life, I am 40 now and this is my worst fear realized....this is major for an HA sufferer.

Anybody have any positive experiences with anesthesia?

Thanks,
Ivy
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I actually have to have surgery....scared of anesthesia mainly
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:07:08 AM »
I've had 2 colonoscopies under anesthesia. Honestly, it was great! To me, the worst part is the IV. The drugs are wonderful, before you know it you're in recovery. I've always bounced right back and was able to carry on my day as normal. I wish you the best with your procedure, update us.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 08:27:44 AM »
I've been under several times, mostly as an infant. I have had two feet surgery, one back surgery, and a recent wisdom tooth removal.

The wisdom tooth was last month, after I started having health anxiety. I remember going into their fully prepared to die in surgery or due to complications post surgery. I remember when they started gasing me I freaked the hell out and started squealingbut I fell asleep quickly and, before I knew it, it was done. It literally felt like less than a minute; I just fell asleep and immediately awoke. That experience actually scared me though. Is that what death is like, except you don't wake?

I don't know if I could go under anesthesia again. Let's hope I need no more surgeries.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MadyMa

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 08:33:43 AM »
I've had 2 laparoscopic surgeries for endometriosis and a hysterectomy.   I felt nauseous after the surgeries but that is a little common when having something done in your abdomen.  However, I didn't throw up because they can give you medicine before and after surgery to help with that.  I didn't mind getting the IV put into my arm.  I just look away and think of other things when they put it in.  You will probably feel a little groggy afterwards, but I found if I just relax and take some good deep breaths that I start to feel better.  The main thing is to relax, just breathe, and think of the anesthesia as a blessing not a terrible scary thing.  Problems with anesthesia are rare - you'll be fine.  Good luck and I wish you well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 10:56:03 AM »
I've actually had 2 uterine procedures (polyp removal, d&c)) and was petrified of the anesthesia--but actually it was fine.  NO problem at all, and when I woke up it was such a warm feeling-like you've had the best nap and not a care in the world :)  I remember each time I felt so cozy that I didn't want it to end!  And the iv really wasn't that bad (this coming from a needle-phobe, too!) Just tell the anesthesiologist that you're nervous over it and they'll take care of you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline ivyt73

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »
Thanks everyone for the great replies.
I think a big part of the problem is really having to release control and trust the doctors literally with my life.  I truly, truly hate it and don't know how I am going to do it. 

All of your positive anesthesia experiences help so much.  I am trying to just remember that it is safe and millions have it probably every day.

Ivy
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 05:01:48 PM »
I've been put under anesthesia more times than I can count on one hand and have always had great experiences.  Honestly to me, the going under (falling asleep) part was awesome.  It was kinda like you just got super tired and decided to take a nap and the most amazing sleep you'll ever have just takes you.  And then you wake up in the recovery room feeling like it's just minutes later but, just like mct452 said, you feel so warm and fuzzy and like you just had the best nap of your life.  Haha.  It's the best part, if there is one, of having to have surgery in my opinion.  I am so sure you'll be fine.  Good luck!  Update us on how you do.
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »
Hopefully this won't trigger you but will help.  Anesthesia is overwhelmingly safe and millions of people have surgery every year without incident.  My family has a rare genetic disorder called low drug threshold syndrome and we're unable to process narcotic pain medicines and anesthetics.  They send us into respiratory arrest.  Usually people find out they have this the hard way…which happened to my Dad and my brother on the operating table.  They are both fine.  Even without knowing, the entire team was prepared and jumped into action.
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 06:34:29 PM »
I had knee surgery in 2011, and I felt the same way.  I almost would have preferred that they do a local anesthetic and have at it.  They used Propofol and it was fine.  I didn't feel well rested like others here, but I didn't feel bad either.  I was a bit confused when I woke up, too.  That lasted mere seconds though as a slight throbbing in my knee reminded me what I was doing there.  I was actually thankful for that.

As for the actual experience, they started by putting an IV of saline in my arm.  Then the anesthesiologist said, "You'll feel some coolness in your arm," when the actual med starts flowing, which I did.  Then I lay there for a bit, but I noticed that there was an attendant down by my feet working on something in a sink.  It was bugging me (must have been the drug talking) so I closed my eyes so I wouldn't have to see him.  Then I thought to myself, "they probably think I'm asleep, but I'm not," so I opened my eyes again to prove I wasn't.  Next thing I knew I was waking up.  Not so much that it felt like instant, but more like you might feel when you have a great night's sleep and suddenly it's morning.  You're aware that time has elapsed, but just not how much.

The staff was great, and they were very gentle with me during the whole process.  They took time to answer my questions while I was getting hooked up, for which I was grateful.  Overall, the experience was totally fine.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline ivyt73

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:34:57 PM »
This all really helps, thanks again guys...keep them coming. I will take all the reassurance I can get.

Ivy
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 10:14:32 PM »
I've been under four times. No problems. You go out immediately and next thing you know it's over. They tell you not to drive afterwards but I totally could (my husband wouldn't let me).
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 39
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 10:18:37 PM »
I had a laparoscopy to remove endometriomas (of course I was sure it was cancer!) a few years ago. 

Everything went fine.  I was the last surgery of the day, and it took longer than expected (not sure why, if I asked, I was too dopey to retain the answer).  They said there was no way I'd come around enough to go home that night.  Well, I was determined, and I made it home! 

Coming out of it was a little odd.  I had really bad shivers, though I didn't feel cold and my mouth was SO dry. 

I'm not sure if this will happen with uterine fibroids, but I had vaginal bleeding after my surgery - apparently digging around in that area can confuse things and trigger that.  It went away in a few days. 

I was incredibly sore for a couple of weeks.  Beyond that, no real issues.  I got a good scare when the incisions started pouring this gross yellowish liquid, and I mean pouring - I lost a few t-shirts that week!  Turns out it was just fat??  I'm still not clear on how that works, but the nurse wasn't at all concerned when I called.  Anyway, no idea if that happens with all laps or just certain ones, but just in case these things happen, no need to panic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ivyt73

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 07:31:46 AM »
what about issues with insomnia?  Now I am concerned that having the anesthesia or the surgery is going to put me in to a bad episode of insomnia which is a big fear/issue of mine?

Did anyone have insomnia after surgery and/or anesthesia?
Ivy
Bookmark and Share

Tags: