Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of cream cheese I ate!  (Read 117 times)

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of cream cheese I ate!
« on: April 01, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
I just bought some cream cheese today, and had a tiny bit. It tasted a little sour, but there was no mold. Now I'm freaking out that I'm going to get salmonella or some other sickness from this!!! Ugh. I'm afraid the store somehow let it sit out too long during storage/moving it to the store from the warehouse/truck.

Is this possible to grow salmonella from this? If I ate a tablespoon, will I get sick? Totally freaking out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of cream cheese I ate!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:54:28 PM »
Did you have other food in your mouth just before the cream cheese?   I have had something taste odd and then realized the item I ate or drank just prior can do that.

Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 04:06:19 PM »
No! But I have had that happen. Ugh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Potatoes

• ɗℴ℘∈
  • Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Cold
    Cold
  • When she says she loves me.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 04:07:18 PM »
Even just considering you only had a tiny bit, you'll be alright, it'd be the same as drinking sour milk if it went bad, it's a dairy product that is tempurature and expiration sensitive, but I don't think there would be any trace of some sort of disease to come from it.

I used to work in a deli, and in the instructional videos (granted we and probably any deli wouldn't) if a cheese had a spoil spot or mold we were trained that it is safe to serve after cutting off 2-4 inches ( I don't even remember the score) of it. I mean it's not the same concept with cream cheese considering you've got it in a tub, but it really goes to show that it's not a lockdown-type situation.

I've had times where I bought new dairy products and it was straight sour or had a pungent smell to it, just throw it out and get another one.

You could very well be right that products were possibly sat out too long, but I know in both of the grocery stores I've worked in the temperature sensitive things were made sure to be put in coolers, and only brought out and stocked by hand cart. The sitting out may have happened anywhere from the production site to the distributor or even to the consumer... if it wasn't too long ago, and you're feeling heroic, get ahold of the dairy department at the store you bought it in and let them know, just to keep things right for others too if you feel up to it. lol best wishes.
Bookmark and Share
Centuries are what it meant to me,
A cemetery where I marry the sea.

Tags: