Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Waking up anxious  (Read 374 times)

Offline Blueberry

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Waking up anxious
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:41:22 AM »
Anyone ever wake up and immediately feel anxiety? To me it's happened a few times recently. I don't know if it's my dream or my waking thoughts but next thing I noticed my head aches and I feel stressed. It's annoying.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Teril

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Waking up anxious
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 08:17:41 AM »
I have experienced this for many years, at least ten.  My body physically shakes and it's like I've just heard the worst possible news.  My former psychiatrist called them "morning terrors" and prescribed an anti-anxiety medication.  I still get these on occasion as does my mother.  They are absolutely hideous.

My doctor had no explanation for them.  They are worse for me when I am stressed, but I've gotten them sometimes when I'm not stressed.  Usually once I force myself to get out of bed and eat they gradually go away.  I am so sorry to hear you are having these, but you are definitely not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline blaa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:30:07 AM »
This happens me at times, it makes for a crappy start to the day... for me mainly is the fear that the day will be a bad one
Bookmark and Share

Offline EsotericNonsense

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:40:39 PM »
Yes I get them too. I find it best to just ignore them but if they are bad I will take a lorazapam.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 03:35:22 PM »
Have you ever had a sleep study?  Waking up anxious and having a morning headaches are signs of sleep apnea.  Or it could just be waking up and dreading the day. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mama00

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 04:36:23 PM »
Yes.  It's a miserable way to start the day.  Hate it!   Natural Calm (Magnesium - they sell at whole foods) seems to help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 05:14:02 PM »
Yes, I've had that intermittently since about June or July, and much more "on" than "off" the last several months. It usually actually comes on around 3-4 in the morning, I'll notice if I get up for one of my children, otherwise I must sleep through it. But I'll wake hyper-alert, heart pounding, nervous energy, sometimes chest pain. It feels very physical, very much like an adrenaline surge.

My lexapro hasn't touched it. When I was taking progesterone cream that decreased but did not resolve it. I have Ativan, but I don't want to take ativan every morning.

I do have propranolol (a beta blocker) that I was prescribed for mitral valve prolapse symptoms and as needed for specific anxiety symptoms. With my psychiatrist's approval I started taking this every bedtime and most mornings (unless I'm starting my day with vigorous exercise, then I don't need/can't tolerate the propranolol.)

This has been the most effective treatment for this morning adrenaline surge. It's helped my anxiety in generally because I feel I'm better able to cope with anxious thoughts and life stressors throughout the day when I'm not starting the morning with 1-2 hours of pounding heart and chest pain, I don't feel as "depleted". My ativan usage has decreased since scheduling my regular propranolol use, and I had been planning on starting Buspar soon but I may be able to go without it.

I will be following up with my psychiatrist in a week, and I'll also follow-up with my primary care doctor in a couple weeks. mainly to see if it's safer/healthier for me to be on scheduled propanolol versus adding the buspar, from her medical perspective.

I will also add that morning exercise has also been very helpful on the days I do it. It almost feels like it "burns off" that excess energy. Note that I'm not recommending a beta blocker as everyone's situation is different, merely explaining my story
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
Have you ever had a sleep study?  Waking up anxious and having a morning headaches are signs of sleep apnea.  Or it could just be waking up and dreading the day.

No. The headaches don't happen frequently.  Usually I'm fine in the morning, I think. I can't remember so well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline EsotericNonsense

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »
I assume most people with sleep apnea would know it because their partners would tell them. You may not be able to hear your snoring every night but you can bet you SO can.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 08:03:02 PM »
This is very true, but many people don't have partners, and sometimes even with a partner there may be a very different sleep schedule where they aren't in bed at the same time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 02:37:30 PM »
I assume most people with sleep apnea would know it because their partners would tell them. You may not be able to hear your snoring every night but you can bet you SO can.

I have a roommate and she never complained. I snore but not too badly.
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »
hey blueberry--- i just sent you a pm check your messages
Bookmark and Share

Tags: