Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Songs stuck in your head?  (Read 415 times)

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Songs stuck in your head?
« on: March 31, 2014, 11:43:52 AM »
I'm not officially diagnosed with OCD I have GAD with Obsessive tendencies.  But anyways almost all day I'll have a certain line or verse of a song stuck in my head on constant repeat.  I can't stop sometimes I'll get the Mario tune stuck in my head as well.  I'm very afraid I have Schizophrenia.  But is this just OCD?
Bookmark and Share
It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.

Offline Leo99

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Songs stuck in your head?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »
We're not doctors here and cannot give diagnosis. My iron strong opinion is, however, that tunes, stucked in our minds, are most certainly not schizophrenia  :winking0008:. Many people get that. Even people with no official OCD diagnosis.
Bookmark and Share
From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were; I have not seen
As others saw; I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
(E. A. Poe)

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 03:34:10 PM »
I doubt that is schizo.  We all get songs stuck in our brain at times.
My husband's mother has schizo. and to my knowledge, she doesn't have this as a symtom
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 10:43:08 PM »
being an ocd suffer myself for years and reading lots of other peoples posts stories over the years it seems a large majority of ocd sufferers at some time in their life fear they may be schizophrenic. trust me, ive been there myself. also, i have a song stuck in my head all the time. currently it is  the song "all of me" by john legend. it is a symptom of ocd but they actually have a name for this and its called "earworm" there have been books and studies on this.
this following part is from a wiki post: "In a 2006 book by Daniel Levitin entitled This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession, he states that research has shown musicians and people with obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD) are more likely to suffer from earworm attacks. An attack usually involves a small portion of a song, a hook, equal to or less than the capacity of one's auditory short-term memory. Levitin reports that capacity as usually 15 to 30 seconds. Simple tunes are more likely to get stuck than complex pieces of music. He also mentions that in some situations, OCD medications have been known to minimize the effects.[8] In 2010, published data in the British Journal of Psychology directly addressed the subject, and its results support earlier claims that earworms are usually 15 to 30 seconds in length"

but even people who dont have ocd can get an earworm.
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline Leo99

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 05:30:09 AM »
Thank you for posting that, Walnut. The simplicity of songs explains why I usually get stuck with the most annoying ones  :laugh3:.

And you are right about the fear of schizophrenia. It subsided with me when I...well, decided not to fear schizophrenia anymore.

:action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
(E. A. Poe)

Offline Walnut

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 11:05:27 AM »
i seem to always get a song stuck in my head thats playing in a store over the intercom. i wont even recognize that music is playing in the store. ill be long gone from the store and start singing it and ask where did i hear that song and my wife will say it was playing in the store.
i also wake up in the morning with a song stuck in my head sometimes. will be a random song. i guess its good to wake up with a song in your heart lol
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 02:29:01 PM »
Thank you for the replies, I had something fairly scary happen to day though, it sent a surge of chills all over my body.
I was reading the guidelines of a forum and it said "If every other word of your sentence begins with "fu" and ends with "ck"
don't need the rest, but it was like once I read that the F word kept going over and over in my mind.  Like my voice but a little
more high pitched and growly.  It scared the crap out of me and has me questioning whether or not the word was
coming from me or someone else.
Bookmark and Share
It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.

Offline Walnut

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »
are you religious? were you raised in church? or were your parents very strict about not cussing? the F word can be very shocking to people who grew up in a very religious atmosphere where cussing would be considered a sin. they grow up feeling great guilt and shame anytime they slip up and say a cuss word. as for people with ocd that have been raised in religious atmospheres the ocd will latch onto things like cuss words and such because they become afraid they will blurt it out. or commit some sin. i dont think we are allowed to talk about religion here so i wont go into detail but you can research ocd and scrupulosity. i may have spelled that wrong but scrupulosity is a recognized disorder and is a form of ocd. people with that disorder are religious and their ocd makes them fear they will commit some unpardonable sin or they have blasphemous thoughts. their compulsions are usually saying a prayer or verse amongst other things.
Bookmark and Share

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »
I am in no way religious and cussing isn't to heavily frowned upon
it just scared me because no matter what I did I couldn't get it out of
my head.  It was like I couldn't control it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Leo99

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 12:47:09 PM »
I've had sentences stuck in my mind like that before. Usually not friendly ones. OCD is so much fun. Not  :P  :winking0008:.
Bookmark and Share
(E. A. Poe)

Offline Walnut

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
then most likely an intrusive thought. the word was probably like the whole earworm thing. I remember a little over a year ago when I was at work I had gotten a promotion and with this promotion came alot of stress. when i was on 1st shift i was in charge of opening the store. and some days the person who came in to help me wouldnt be a regular employee but the owner. i remember being so afraid id have a panic attack or get so overwhelmed with anxiety that id have to leave but i cant cuz im in charge and if the boss seen this weakness id surely get demoted. well this was my first severe earworm. i had this song come in my head and it was so extreme and it wouldnt go away it consumed my thinking and caused me to panic. i thought i was gonna lose it all over a stupid song in my head.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: