Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Desperatley seeking advice. Afraid something is wrong with heart  (Read 99 times)

Offline dcam90

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Hello everyone.
I would like some advice, obviously an anxiety forum is the place to go:)
I am a 24 year old male, 6ft1 185lbs in decent shape even though i smoke. I do not drink and i take prescription pain medication (oxycontin and percocets) because of an accident i was in a few years ago , i walk with a cane now because my knees were destroyed basically. I also suffer with a severe anxiety disorder. I'm on edge 24/7. Somedays i have full blown panic attacks, somedays i don't but the anxiety is always there. My main concern is for my heart, it always feels like theres some kind of strange pressure in the center of my chest. And my chest muscles feel tight all the way up to my throat. Occasionally my left shoulder and arm will hurt and i find myself constantly aware of my breathing. Sometimes i get short of breath and hyperventilate. I've been to urgent care twice over the past 2 months and both times i had a ECG and it came out normal. But i cannot shake the feeling. I'm totally convinced i have a heart problem and am on the verge of having a heart attack. Since i take pain meds for my knees i've been worried about them being the cause of a heart problem so i've cut down taking them which is not good for my anxiety because i'm in extensive pain if i do not take them. I cannot take any ativan or xanax because i refuse to mix medications out of fear of having a fatal interaction. I don't know where else to turn to. Whenever i see my doctor he chalks it up to anxiety. I've asked for blood work and xrays just to be certain but he won't send me for any stating that it is all just anxiety. The only tests i've had done were 2 ECG over the last 2 months. Anyone going through a similar scenario as myself ? any advice would be greaty appriciated.

Bookmark and Share

Offline dcam90

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Desperatley seeking advice. Afraid something is wrong with heart
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:22:20 AM »
Also, i would like to ad that i was prescribed Effexor XR 37.5 mg but am completely afraid to take them because i read online they might interact with my pain medication causing serotonin syndrome.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 06:20:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :happy0151:
You should read through posts, there are a lot of people worried about their heart here. 

If your doctor even had an INKLING that your heart was bad he'd have you for stress tests, echo cardiograms, nuclear stress tests! (doctors tend to OVERtest due to fear of a lawsuit!) Panic and anxiety unfortunately manifest themselves a lot like heart problems.  Then a person starts getting stressed about their heart therefore causing even MORE symptoms.

I could at least see if you were overweight, but you sound like a really good weight.  There's no reason for there to be ANYTHING wrong with your heart.  Ask your doctor if you could take Xanax and the pain pills you take, or ask your pharmacist.  You probably can't take them together, but if you took a pain pill at 8am and a Xanax at noon it would be fine.  Just find out about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dcam90

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 06:24:48 PM »
Thank you! It always helps to get some reassurance. I have read through ALOT of the posts on the forum after i posted my thread and was amazed at just how many people are going through similar situations. It really helps to know you're not alone!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 07:50:43 PM »
That's the bad thing about anxiety (and also high blood pressure which I'll explain in a minute) Anxiety and panic attacks present in ways that a heart attack would present, then getting scared makes it worse and a viscous cycle starts.  Anxiety causes the "bad heart" feelings and the "bad heart" feelings cause more anxiety!   And same with blood pressure.  It's the only ailment that if you WORRY about it, it actually makes it go higher!  If one worries that their blood glucose will be high, it doesn't automatically jump from 80 to 130!  If someone worries their cholesterol will be high it doesn't jump from 200 to 350...  If someone worries that their hemoglobin will be too LOW it doesn't go from 13 to 8... BUT if someone takes their blood pressure and it's 140/90 and they freak out over it, then it will go to 175/100 and when they get even more freaked out it jumps even higher until they have to have someone take them to urgent care because it's already 230/112!  (yea... me!)
Bookmark and Share