Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: spot on my tongue, afraid of oral cancer  (Read 380 times)

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
spot on my tongue, afraid of oral cancer
« on: March 31, 2014, 12:04:22 AM »
So for around six months now I've noticed a spot on my tongue, called the foliate papillae, that is swollen/enlarged on the right side. Along with earaches and two swollen lymph nodes, I am very afraid that I have oral cancer. I just feel in my gut that I have it.

Normally this thing on my tongue doesn't bother me, but I tried to touch it to see if it was still there today and it was irritated; it set of my gag reflex. It doesn't feel irritated on the left side.

Has anyone else had a swollen spot on the back on their tongue? Is this a normal thing? I'm going to call an ENT tomorrow, I'm just very scared. I feel in my gut it's oral cancer... Any words of advice from others with hypochondria?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: spot on my tongue, afraid of oral cancer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 05:48:41 PM »
Ok so I made an appointment with an ENT so someone could look at this enlargement on my tongue. I did some googling and learned it is a symptom called "hypertrophy of foliate papillae."

I am so scared. I was terrified just calling to make the appointment. Going in and telling the doctor about it, and possibly getting it biopsied, is really daunting but I know I should do it, though I will be very anxious.

It's probably nothing, though, right? Like it could actually be nothing? I cannot convince myself it is anything but the worst.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemgrl2000

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: spot on my tongue, afraid of oral cancer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »
Sally, did you ever find out what this was?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: