Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: damaged heart or anxiety  (Read 294 times)

Offline PITAanxiety

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
damaged heart or anxiety
« on: March 29, 2014, 11:17:44 PM »
im 28 and in fairly good condition

Im constantly in fear of losing consciousness or my heart giving out.  I have a past of recreational drug use, this includes alcohol, weed, ecstasy, cocaine, shrooms but thats about it.

I went through a 6 month or so phase where i was selling and doing alot of cocaine.  I would do like 1/2 gram to a gram of coke in a single line...i could probably finish 2 or more eight balls of coke in a night.  up until recently the last night that i ever touched it i believed i had OD'd...i never went to the hospital but with the knowledge i have now im thinking i could have had a panic attack.  I had done maybe an eightball in less than 20 minutes.

months later i had taken an ecstasy pill and was out with friends when i started to experience my first irregular heartbeats...i was getting palpitations every 5-10 seconds...once again i did not go to the hospital...but i did have my friend call the ER nurse to ask them what i should do...they said it could be caused by the drug i did but i had never gotten palpitations before.

after that night i stopped doing drugs all together, i continued to drink on the weekends but never did any drugs.  to this day i still get palpitations but very rarely.

i have gotten ekg, holter monitor, blood work, chest xray, and a treadmill test done and they said i looked fine.  Even though i got lightheaded and felt as if i was going to black out on the treadmill

Im wondering if they could have missed something or is that highly unlikely with that battery of tests?

i dont worry much about the palpitations since they are so few and far between, but my struggle lies with getting lightheaded all the time.

squatting and standing up several times can get me to the point of almost blacking out, even though i never have actually blacked out i feel as though i have gotten really close.

i lift weights 3 times a week but do workout as intensely as i would like to because i get lightheaded in between sets.
I used to play basketball for 6+ hours a day and could run forever it seemed.  Now i cant go past a brisk walk without my heartrate shooting up to 190+ and feeling like im going to pass out.

is this anxiety or my heart not being able to do its job correctly?

also i get terrible hangovers now, i used to not get hangovers at all but now they can send me to the ER thinking im dying...my blood pressure is all over the place, trouble thinking, my speach is slowed down because its hard to think fast enough to talk, and everything around me looks fake or something, its hard to explain.

i want to believe its just anxiety but with me actively trying to ignore the symptoms its hard to believe that its not just anxiety.  What should i do?  seek further medical attention for my heart or a therapist?
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: damaged heart or anxiety
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »
Hi PIT...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made ten meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

PIT, certainly all the symptoms you have mentioned would fall under the category of an anxiety disorder.  And the street drugs that you mentioned you have used in the past, have a history of causing individuals to have panic attacks and anxiety that can lead to a more chronic anxiety disorder.

Your first step of not doing street drugs anymore, is a good one.  I would suggest that you also stop consuming alcohol, or at least back off on it, as alcohol and anxiety disorders don't mix either.

Since you have already had a lot of cardiac tests, and they were all normal, I would suggest that you seek out a good psychiatrist to see.  Psychiatrists are medical doctors, so they can provide you with a diagnosis, prescribe medications if needed, and structure a treatment plan just for you.  As with any doctor you see, be 100% honest and open with them about your past, including your street drug history.  You will only be hurting yourself if you don't.

Again, welcome to Anxiety Zone, PIT.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxious_brit

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 03:17:07 PM »
It sounds like your heart is fine giving that you have had tests. It sounds like your bodies way of telling you to stop taking the substances that your body doesn't like. Also, If you are becoming more intolerant to alcohol then this is your liver's way of saying to stop. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with it at all but your liver does have to detox all those substances out of your body.

Substance abuse of any kind can certainly create over time an anxiety or panic issue. It sounds like you have taken some good steps to move forward.
Bookmark and Share
"The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live"

www.FindingHappy.org

Offline PITAanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 03:28:31 PM »
yea i havent touched any drugs in over 4 years, i go out with friends and drink maybe once a week.

my main question was if the lightheadedness was anxiety...i really want to start running again
Bookmark and Share

Offline cravenmobile

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 04:42:13 PM »
You might be getting a bit of the DT's.  P.a.w.s can do a lot of that kind of thing also.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PITAanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »
im sorry but i dont know what either of those acronyms mean
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 05:19:30 PM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. My doctor once told me to keep a log of symptoms you experience,
including time of day, what you were doing when they occurred, etc. My doctor said keeping a log
will help him with a diagnosis.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline PITAanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 05:21:35 PM »
well im not actively seeking treatment...i went to the doctor a few years ago
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »
Hi PIT...

Regarding your lightheadedness, I think this is probably the #1 symptom of anxiety.  It is also the #1 complaint of individuals visiting emergency rooms.

I have had frequent episodes of lightheadedness with my anxiety.  At times it was so bad that I thought I was going to pass-out, but I never have.

I hope that this helps to answer your question.

The very best to you, PIT!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline PITAanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 08:31:36 AM »
Hi PIT...

Regarding your lightheadedness, I think this is probably the #1 symptom of anxiety.  It is also the #1 complaint of individuals visiting emergency rooms.

I have had frequent episodes of lightheadedness with my anxiety.  At times it was so bad that I thought I was going to pass-out, but I never have.

I hope that this helps to answer your question.

The very best to you, PIT!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:

even to the point where the room gets dark (the edges of your vision get black?) because i have had panic attacks before and i know how you get a burst of lightheadedness with a panic attack...this happens when i exert myself...like if one were to get up too quickly off the couch or something
Bookmark and Share

Offline PITAanxiety

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »
im just wondering if im really getting lightheaded or its anxiety making me feel as if i am...i know i am not hyperventillating
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Heart