Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: chronic sinusitis  (Read 266 times)

Offline chunkymonkey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
chronic sinusitis
« on: March 29, 2014, 07:44:01 PM »
Hey guys! so i had a sinus infection for over a month now and i've seen a few drs. First it started off with eye pain, then headache, dizziness, ear pain, nausea..etc. I tried flonase, mucinex d, claritin, prednisone and am taking bactrim right now. I dont think any of these medicine are working because Im still experiencing eye pain and headache. I know getting surgery is another option but I really dont want to do that until I know for sure there are no other treatment options. Is there anyone here who is also going through chronic sinusitis and have had successful treatment? i think my sinus infection was either caused by my cat, moving it to a new area or allergic to the carpet. I really dont want to get rid of my cat because i live by myself and dont have any friends. I cant move out of the area because i have 1 more year of school here. Afrin has helped with congestion but i cant take it more than 3 days and flonase reduces the swelling but it causes glaucoma and my optometrist said my eye pressure is a bit high. Please help me...anyone...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxiousmind77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: chronic sinusitis
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:50:41 PM »
Ah good ol sinusitis, something I'm all to familiar with. I've literally had all of the symptoms you described. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a successful remedy. I broke my nose when I was 15 and was told after the initial surgery I would most likely gave to have another one butttt I never got it because I hate being under. Wish I could help more but just know you are not alone! Take care. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 01:28:04 AM »
Sinusitis can take time to treat. I had my first sinus infection ever and it lasted about 2 months. Took two rounds of amoxicillin antibiotic, an oral cortisteroid, and a steroid nasal spray. Never had and still don't believe its caused by allergies. In my case its a big possibility that it was caused by the weather. One day here we have snow then the next day its 70 degrees and you're wearing a T-shirt outside. One thing I can suggest if you're not already doing it is to use a saline nasal spray. You can get a neti-pot or squeeze bottle along with prepackaged saline packets for less than $30 usually. Using it once in the morning and once at night will clear up you're nasal passages and get the mucus flowing a bit easier. Just be sure to use bottled or boiled water.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:15:10 AM »
Studies have shown that most oral meds never reach the sinuses.  I just finished 10 days of amoxicillin after taking other meds and nasal sprays. Ended up with a nice yeast infection, but my head no longer hurts.

Clearing out the sinuses will allow it to heal. The problem is that the opening to the sinus cavities is at the TOP of the cavity and the gunk that stays in the bottom of the cavity is where the bacteria starts to grow. Doc was sure I was 'all better' until I went to the dentist for serious tooth pain and her xrays showed my sinuses were impacted.

10 days on amoxicillin, a non steroid nasal spray, lots of steam and saline nasal sprays, only gentle blowing if you must blow and a heating pad to the back of the head whenever you can during the day. Also, an oral decongestant like generic sudaphed (the behind the counter kind) or a generic Claritin D (also behind the counter) will help loosen the gunk. You'll have MORE symptoms at first as the junk thins and starts to drain.  Sore throat or nose is to be expected from all that drainage and even a icky tummy but it can be fixed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »
Ah, my good friends, my sinuses.  They plague me everyday.  The key is getting them to drain.  I diffuse peppermint essential oil, use a neti pot and a sinus massage technique and that keeps me off antibiotics.  They still ache at various points during the day but this helps the most for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline beast216

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 11:44:56 AM »
I have chronic sinusitis.  It is a recurring pain in the arse.

Bactrim....uggh that is an evil antibiotic but that is a story for another day.

One thing that has been helping has been investing in an awesome humidifier (Air o Swiss) , using a Vicks steam inhaler for 10 minutes a day, and rinsing my sinuses once a day.

Sounds like a lot, but it seems to help.  Surgery is an option as well, but I am hopefully staying away from that as it is not even guaretneed to help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 05:21:26 PM »
It may be worth a trip to a natural pharmacist or physician, who may be able to
provide alternative treatment.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: