Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is Wellbutrin/Bupropion addictive?  (Read 171 times)

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is Wellbutrin/Bupropion addictive?
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:01:29 PM »
I was prescribed Wellbutrin/Bupropion 2 days ago 75mg the first week and then 150 for 3 weeks.  It has no refills will I be fine just discontinuing use or will I be waned off of it.  I really don't want to take anything addictive no matter how much it helps me.  I'm already very hesitant about using medication and decided to do this to make my family happier.  But just taking the medication seems to be causing me Anxiety.  I told my doctor about my fear of addiction and she gave me this but I've been seeing some things online about psychological addiction, and some crappy side effects such as seizures.  Please reply so I can know soon whether or not to discontinue use and get on something else.  I don't want any benzo's or ssri's because I read that 90% of school shootings the shooter was taking an SSRI.
Bookmark and Share
It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is Wellbutrin/Bupropion addictive?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »
I was prescribed Wellbutrin/Bupropion 2 days ago 75mg the first week and then 150 for 3 weeks.  It has no refills will I be fine just discontinuing use or will I be waned off of it.

You will need to be weaned off, but given the short time you will have been on it this shouldn't be a problem. 

I really don't want to take anything addictive no matter how much it helps me.

There is a difference between dependence and addiction. Many medications will produce dependence requiring you to wean off them, most heart medications, antibiotics when taken long term, even vitamin C can produce rebound scurvy if discontinued abruptly after long term use at high doses. OTOH, some meds you probably have been happily taking for years can cause very severe addiction. For example, this one.

I told my doctor about my fear of addiction and she gave me this but I've been seeing some things online about psychological addiction, 

Bit tough blaming a med for an 'addiction' produced by the mind. Some people become psychologically addicted to therapy, exercise, even hamburgers, but neither thrapy, exercise, or hamburgers are intrinsically addictive.

and some crappy side effects such as seizures.

Yes, Wellbutrin may trigger seizures if stopped 'cold-turkey' so don't do it and you'll be fine, and all antidepressants may trigger 'crappy' side-effects initially, particularly heightened anxiety.

I read that 90% of school shootings the shooter was taking an SSRI.

That is an outright lie, initially started by elements of the gun lobby and then taken up by the anti psychiatry Scientologists. The first school shooting was on July 26, 1764, nearly 200 years before antidepressants were invented and 227 years before the first SSRI hit pharmacy shelves. They have happened with monotonous regularity since. Banning antidepressant won't stop them, may even increase them, but effective gun control probably will.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:38:57 PM »
Thank you I appreciate the intelligence response.  So based on what I said as long as I take them faithfully for this month I will be fine, and I will have to wean off of it?
Bookmark and Share
It did what all ads are supposed to do: create an anxiety relievable by purchase.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »
Thank you I appreciate the intelligence response.  So based on what I said as long as I take them faithfully for this month I will be fine, and I will have to wean off of it?

Taking antidepressants for only a month won't cure you. They are treatments not cures. It can take 3-12 weeks for them to kick-in as they work by encouraging the growth of new brain cells to replace those killed, or prevented from growing by chronic stress hormone exposure.

I think you need to discuss your treatment with your doctor in more detail as what seems to be the plan doesn't make sense. Also, are you taking Wellbutrin primarily for anxiety or depression? If anxiety, then it may not be the best med as it can be very stimulating. This can be a positive for depression, but may be too disturbing for those of us with anxiety, although a few do very well on it.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline deckeromega

• Yeezus
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 06:40:12 PM »
I would say mainly for the Anxiety but my Depression is very prominent as well.  I've had 3 visits with my Psychologist and on the 3rd visit she said she definitely recommended medication.  As far as a treatment not a cure I am aware of that, we are doing it in conjunction with EMDR and CBT.  The reason my doctor prescribed this medication specifically is because her daughter had Anxiety just like me and many of the same worries as me.  She saw how much it has helped her daughter so she decided it could be beneficial to me. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: