Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart palpitations, tingling feet, purple toes, freezing cold.. please help  (Read 346 times)

Offline sufferinghurts

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi,

First of all I want to say hi to everyone and to say that I'm so glad to have found a place to talk about my problems. I've been having severe anxiety for the past month and I'm about to lose control :( I'm a 28 year old male, married, with two wonderful kids. I've had anxiety last winter as well (chest pains, arm pains) which I was finally able to control using acupuncture.

First of all I work with a computer and spend most of my days sitting down and don't do much exercise during the winter. I know I should probably take more regular walks and do regular exercise but I find it hard to find time with my busy schedule. I've had lots of stressful situations since December (we all caught the flu in January, we had to make several trips to the hospital with our children, especially with the newborn), my father broke his back and needs surgery, my mother started a depression and tried to commit *****, I've had trouble at work with people quitting the company and I've had to take on more work), etc.

While at work one afternoon both of my feet started tingling (I was not sitting on them, so this totally caught be by surprise). Later in the evening I had the same tingling in my toes while watching T.V; I took off my socks only to realize that my toes were bloodshot red / almost purple, and the rest of my feet are white. Obviously I thought something something was wrong and started to be concerned. The next day at work I went out go get lunch. While walking my left foot started to tingle. Shortly after the tingling spread all the way up my leg all the way up to my hip. I dropped everything and drove myself to the hospital. On the way to the hospital I had a palpitations, my heart was skipping beats, racing, I started sweating and felt like I was going to pass out. The ER doctor did an ECG which was abnormal (tachycardia ***** 105 beats per min) and blood tests revealed low potassium and low sodium. The doctor had no idea what I had and told me it was anxiety.

I went to visit two separate doctors after the fact because I was not convinced the diagnosis was accurate. The last doctor I saw finally told me the potassium levels were not normal and could be causing all of my symptoms. He prescribed me a pill for the palpitations (which I have not taken yet because the palpitations stopped and only happened once since then) and requested a heart monitor for 24 hours (I am still waiting on a call for this) and ordered another set of blood tests. The next set of blood tests were normal and my potassium and sodium levels were back to normal.

I'm about to visit the ER again because I have been freezing for the past week. I've had to use heating pads while working to keep my hands warm. I am well dressed but I still have extremely cold hands and feet. Last week I was on the couch watching television with a blanket on and I was shivering because I was so cold (my house is usually around 22 degrees). My pulse was at ~70 beats per minute at that point. Shortly after, I left for an acupuncture appointment (which I absolutely love and suggest to anyone who hasn't tried) I started to feel very weak and detached from my body. When I arrived at acupuncture (20 minute drive) I was sweating and I was feeling very light headed. I took my pulse and noticed that my heart was at ~124 beats per minute! I relaxed and acupuncture calmed me down within a few minutes.

I wake up every morning with numb feet and hands, and my pulse is so strong that I feel it even while lying down. This morning I noticed my pulse being very irregular (skipping beats, beating slowly then fast, then slow again). I keep thinking that I have a severe problem with my heart and even though doctors say it isn't life threatening and most likely anxiety. I am so scared that I haven't been able to do anything lately. For the past two weeks I couldn't even help my wife with the kids, dishes, making supper, etc. I've been putting everything on her and feel horrible about it.

Has anyone else had a similar situation or similar symptoms? I feel so burnt out, tired and helpless. I don't know what to do any more. I don't want to go to the hospital again as they never find anything and I leave with more questions than when I start (I've had ~10 ECG's, blood work done over 10 times, I had a CT scan done, urine tests, nerve/numbness tests, etc. and everything was normal except for the potassium levels last time). Please tell me I'm not alone??

Thanks for your time,
Marc
Bookmark and Share

Offline skimbleshanks34

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The tingling feet, purple toes and cold sounds like 'poor circulation.' My hands and feet are just always cold, my toes and fingers lose colour when they're numb and cold, and if they are warmed up quite quickly they go dark red. It isn't a symptom that has ever alarmed me, I know a lot of people that go through it too. The worst case scenario for me was concerning diabetes because my feet and legs go numb, but blood tests have ruled that out. I get frequent heart symptoms when I'm overly stressed, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was what is happening with you. I have shallow breathing when I'm stressed which causes extreme lightheadedness and quickened heartbeat. I could only imagine that everything your family has been through has been elevating these symptoms. I know when I worry about my family, every pain in my body is multiplied. I wish you all the very best, and I can only recommend finding a quiet place to try some deep, mindful breathing when you feel your heart rate going out of whack. Slowly sipping some cold water helps me if I can't get my breathing controlled.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kristinsanxiety

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey I have this too! I haven't worried about it though. My fingers and feet are always cold, just poor circulation. Yesterday my foot was numb and something my fingers go numb too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sufferinghurts

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thanks for the replies... It's nice to hear I'm not alone. I'll try the sipping on water technique next time! What's been working for me lately has been some cardiac coherence videos on YouTube.

Poor circulation scares me because I'm concerned with the heart palpitations; some times my heart is beating so fast and other times it feels very weak. I did find something comforting related to circulation called 'Raynaud Disease', which seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing (or at least accounts for some of my symptoms, anyway), and apparently can be caused by stress. Anyone hear of this before?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey Marc,

I'm so sorry your going through all this. I just wanted to let you know that you are NOT alone and this is in fact anxiety. I have the same issues with my heart as you do as this is my biggest worry. If you haven't already thought about it I would consider counseling to figure out where this is all coming from if you don't already know I know you stated you've been under more stress then usual. Just know myself, & everyone on this site understands where your coming from. Keep us updated:) good luck.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jackteo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
All the above symptoms are typical of stress related. I had that for almost 10+ (On & Off when I'm stress) over years and I'm glad to said I'm still alive.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: