Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Purple veins on the underside of my eyelid? [w/ photo]  (Read 528 times)

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
Purple veins on the underside of my eyelid? [w/ photo]
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:39:59 AM »
OK, here's yet another one for the books... I've been under horrible stress for the past 4-5 months. I suffer from  extreme Generalized anxiety and Health anxiety. In the last 1-2 months I've started having tension headaches and insomnia/hypersomnia so my eyes often feel tired, fatigued and painful. So do my eyebrow-area and my temples.

Around 2-3 weeks ago I had some sharp pains in my right temple & behind my right eye, which lasted for just a few seconds each time. I got them once after changing the position of my head, once when I was chewing and once after I was propping my chin against my hand. Then they disappeared and I haven't had any pain there for 2 weeks now. Only mild temple tension headache like usual. I assumed the sharp pain was TMJ-related pain because it happened when I was chewing and I tend to clench my teeth when I sleep because of stress.

Yesterday though I noticed 2 noticeable purplish veins at the exterior corner of my right eye, both on the underside of my lid. If I pull the corner of my eye away and a bit upwards I can see them. I remember I noticed one of them a couple of weeks ago but now a new one has appeared! The newer one is more obvious and longer than the other (it probably continues behind the eyeball). They are both thin, under 1mm max in thickness and not bulging or anything, but they are purplish and easily noticeable. I am 100% sure that none of them were there at the beginning of March. I have none on my left eyelid, which looks just normal.

I got really scared and I'm thinking of a tumor now that's pressing on my veins. I was just getting a bit better and feeling more relaxed lately & this symptom is all I needed to get me started again :(

I had a cervical MRI done at last year at the end of November and it captured much of my eye & brain area as well and everything looked normal, but that was 4 months ago.

Any idea if these veins can be a consequence of stress, insomnia, extended computer use, high blood pressure or eyestrain - instead of some monstrous cause? My blood pressure has been very high at times because of my anxiety (up to 170/100 on some occasions, and often around 140/90).

Should I be very worried about something bad? Here is a photo of the veins:

I asked 2 online eye doctors and they told me it's most likely from eye strain, eye fatigue, dry eyes, insomnia or that high blood pressure. They didn't seem concerned but they didn't see this picture (just explained them). They told me tumours are a very rare cause of such thing and is unlikely.

I'm just so fucked up again... can't believe I'm back in the anxiety pit. I was doing so well in the last week. :( And I'm broke, I've been to so many doctors I just can't afford more doctors! Do you think this looks more like a benign thing? Would you be concerned?

Any thoughts on this will be very appreciated, thank you!
Bookmark and Share

Online Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Purple veins on the underside of my eyelid? [w/ photo]
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:44:54 AM »
I'm not an eye doctor, but your eyes look normal to me except a little inflamed which can be allergies or stress or both.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alecia6

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 09:59:03 AM »
I've had weird things sows up in my eye lime this. And always the eye doctor see's it and says it due to lack of proper sleep, too much computer and stress.
Nothing much more than that. Apparently it's typical for people to have different things like this show up, especially from the things you said you have been doing..ie:insomnia.
I know you would most likely feel better having an eye doctor see it and tell you the same. But I hope this post helps a little.
Bookmark and Share

Offline valleyplayer42

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Pissed
    Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 10:06:12 AM »
I would not be concerned. 2 online doctors? I used to use justanswer.com. Was that the site? Which doctors told you this if so? I have had alot of help from a few specific ones on there, they know what there talking about.

Alot of people would say, "how do you know your really talking to a doctor, etc". With the answers they give you, and the things they know, you just KNOW its not some scam site from India. =)

Your OK.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 12:10:33 PM »
I've had weird things sows up in my eye lime this. And always the eye doctor see's it and says it due to lack of proper sleep, too much computer and stress.
Nothing much more than that. Apparently it's typical for people to have different things like this show up, especially from the things you said you have been doing..ie:insomnia.
I know you would most likely feel better having an eye doctor see it and tell you the same. But I hope this post helps a little.

It does help, thank you so much!

I am very tired and stressed all the time, plus my job (and my hobbies) keep me on the computer for most of the day every day. When I'm not using my computer I'm using my phone. When I'm stressed out my vision is blurrier and sometimes I get dizzy so I need to strain to focus.

I hope these purple veins are related to that. They appeared rather quickly, in the past 2-3 weeks and I'm just hoping there won't be more of them popping up. I guess I find it weird that they're in just one eye and not the other.

When you said you had things like this in your eye, did you mean purple veins like mine?
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »
I would not be concerned. 2 online doctors? I used to use justanswer.com. Was that the site? Which doctors told you this if so? I have had alot of help from a few specific ones on there, they know what there talking about.

Alot of people would say, "how do you know your really talking to a doctor, etc". With the answers they give you, and the things they know, you just KNOW its not some scam site from India. =)

Your OK.

Thank you!

I know the doctors on JustAnswer and they're pretty damn good. I often requested their help and they were awesome.

This time I consulted with the doctors on Allexperts.com. They are volunteering and their service is free but there are many good doctors there as well and they have been of help many times when I was out of money and needed an expert opinion.

I did not show them this photo though, but I suppose my explaining was evocative enough ("thin purple veins on the underside of my eyelid, in the outer corner of my right eye").

God I hope you guys are right and they're not a cause of concern.

I've bought some eye drops today and will use them regularly maybe they'll help.

If more of these veins show up or these two get bigger I will see an eye doctor & if they stay the same I will try to ignore them and get more rest... do you think that's a sensible plan?

Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
I'm not an eye doctor, but your eyes look normal to me except a little inflamed which can be allergies or stress or both.

Well it doesn't look horribly abnormal or anything, but the 2 purplish veins that you can see in the corner are new. My other eye looks just pink. I just hope they're because of stress, straining, high blood pressure or allergies like you said.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 06:56:03 AM »
I sometimes ask on Healthtap but you might get a dentist answering a question on female problems.  I complained to them about that. 

I'm not going to look because if I DO, I'll worry about my eyes all day but it looks like dry eye and eye strain to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:38:44 AM »
Haha yeah I knoe what you mean. It's so easy to get obsessed...

I hope you're right... Ever since I've strarted worrying about it I seem to have made it worse. Now I feel pressure behind the eye and the temple, my right eyebrow hurts, I have headaches on the right side etc. I even have a forein body sensation in my eye and the impression that the right eyeball is more protruding than the left...(yes I've been poking at my eyeballs). I'm trying to ignore all this madness and maybe it'll just go away! :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline ElizabethA103

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 04:06:32 AM »
As long as it can't kill you, you'll be fine. Drink some tea for now, relax. But make sure you get that checked. Btw Do you also get yellowing under the eyelids and in the corners. I'm assuming their to stress but I may be wrong. Also any red in eyes?
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 07:44:10 AM »
OK guys, I've made an appointment to an ophthalmologist and I'm going in in 2 hours. I'm all freaked out that he's gonna tell me I have cancer/tumor symptoms.

I'm literally shaking. My eye is hurting, it looks a bit bigger than the previous days and my eyebrow is so tense that it's permanently raised and painful. And those veins... they're sending me up the walls.

I keep thinking of the worse and I had a crying fit so I figured I'd rather spend more money and figure out what this is.

I'll be back with news... hope it's just eye strain & anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 07:47:05 AM »
Odds are it is nothing, but I would consult with an opthamologist anyway, to at least get
some peace of mind.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline psychopika

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 10:59:33 AM »
OK, back from the dr.

She thinks my veins are absolutely normal, and it's common for them to get thicker when there's eye strain. She looked inside the eye, on the retina etc. she thinks I'm all good and I should use the computer less often, with breaks. I think I asked her like 5 times if a tumor behind the eye could do that lol but she kept reassuring me.

At least I can have some peace of mind now... it was worth it.

So, for anyone who ever has this symptom and googles my post - this is probably eye strain & it's normal for veins to get thicker when the eye muscles are overused.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: