Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does Buspar work?  (Read 217 times)

Offline Birch531

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does Buspar work?
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:29:43 PM »
I'm pregnant and having bad anxiety with some depression. I would like to try to avoid anti-depressants if possible even though I know some are pretty safe. Buspar is in a class of drugs that are safer for pregnancy so it could be a first option for me. I was on it once a LONG time ago and it didn't do anything. Has anyone felt relief from this drug?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does Buspar work?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:10:01 AM »
Buspar is in a class of drugs that are safer for pregnancy so it could be a first option for me. I was on it once a LONG time ago and it didn't do anything. Has anyone felt relief from this drug?

Buspar is a hit and miss med that works well for a few and is no more effective than M&Ms for most. It is rarely effective for anything other than generalized and social anxieties.

Untreated maternal anxiety (and depression) may also impact on the fetus and have consequences for the child later in life so you should discuss your treatment options with your gynecologist/obstetrician.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Birch531

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 03:05:46 PM »
Thanks, yes I have anxiety about the effects of the anxiety on the baby and also the effects of meds on the baby. It's a lose-lose. I am in therapy and am going to be putting something in place to give me some more "me time" where I can hopefully work on my mental health.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 04:59:26 PM »
It's a lose-lose.

Unfortunately, yes.  :(  However, many thousands of women have had healthy babies while taking antidepressants. With the exception of Paxil (paroxetine) the research has not shown a strong link to birth defects. But if therapy is an option, and works, then it is the way to go.

Ian

PS: Exercise is also good, both for anxiety and the growing baby, fish oil may also help, but run it past your doctors first as I don't know what the thinking is about taking it during pregnancy.
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: