Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Broken molar  (Read 78 times)

Offline matt1990

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Broken molar
« on: March 28, 2014, 01:12:38 PM »
Last week I had pain in my upper left back molar while chewing. About two days later a 1/4 chunk of the molar broke off. It doesnt hurt anymore. The dentist appointment is 5 days from now. I'm worried this isnt soon enough. When I googled broken tooth it says it is important to see the dentist within 2 to 3 hours. I've never broken a tooth before and have no idea what to expect is going to happen at the dentist.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
Re: Broken molar
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »
In a worst case scenario you'd end up with an infection and having to get the tooth pulled. that really is the worst that could happen. I've had a tooth that's been crumbling for a while now and it hasn't caused me much grief. I think dr google was probably eluding to an entire tooth shattering.

But if you've already told the dentist and they were confident enough to book you an appointment 5 days out, I'd say your gold. Take it from someone who's had multiple dental problems. Now if your tooth starts to hurt - and I mean really hurt and you get a fever, then worry about infection. Chances are that won't happen, however. The dentist will probably be able to repair the tooth in 5 days. :)

From what I understand you're in no immediate danger.
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Broken molar
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:47:52 PM »
I broke a molar (wisdom tooth) December of 2012.  I still have done nothing with it - I feel if it doesn't bother me I'm not going to do anything about it (TOO expensive!)  my dentist tells me it has to come out, but...  he's not offering to split the cost with me, so it will wait.
(when a tooth is cracked it will hurt when chewing - once it breaks off there's no more pain like that)
It depends what tooth it is - if it's one that can be seen when smiling or you WANT to keep it, you will probably be offered the choice of a root canal.  Otherwise they'll pull it.
Maybe when you googled they were talking about if you want to SAVE the tooth - like maybe they can "glue" it back on or something!  (I don't know what dentists do these days! I didn't plan on saving a wisdom tooth so I never looked into it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: