Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Newbie in need of advice  (Read 173 times)

Offline Michael60302

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Newbie in need of advice
« on: March 28, 2014, 11:15:47 AM »
I'm a 49 year old guy whose had anxiety and panic disorder for about 15 years or so. Over the years I've learned to work around some of it, but by and large it controls my life to this day. Back when it first began (just before my dad died), I was so scared of having a panic attack that I quit jobs just to stay home. My work history for the past 15 years is terrible, due to my anxiety. I can't find work to save my life now. Back when the anxiety first started, I also became very depressed by it and stopped taking care of myself. I put on a lot of weight, stopped brushing my teeth, didn't shower much, etc. I ended up losing all my teeth from disease in 2005. To this day I haven't been able to work to buy myself dentures. This has me very depressed as well. Self-conscious to boot. I've tried just about every SSRI out there, but had horrible side effects. I tried Buspar, but all it did was make me throw up. Xanax helps with the bad cases of panic, but I don't take them often due to their addictive nature. I'm at a crossroads in my life right now, as I can't seem to move forward and improve myself. I still have anxiety 24/7. My heart skips sometimes and that freaks me out. I'm on an a-fib medication now because I'd panic myself into an arrhythmia. I'm diabetic, weigh 350 lbs and have a hard time walking or standing. It seems like there's no way out of this. My family has talked to me, but they don't see things objectively and they are very tired of my issues anyway. Seeing a professional would be nice, but no insurance. So, what do I do? I don't want to keep going on like this. This isn't living. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Newbie in need of advice
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »
Michael, I feel your pain.  First of all, take the xanax and get as much relief as possible.  You have other things to worry about, and one prioprity for me wouldn't be to get hooked on xanax.  My mother is 84 years old and has been on one form or another of anxiolytic drug, xanax, ativan, valium, klonopin, for over 45 yearws and is in perfect health.

I'd like to see you push yourself more.  Anxiety leads to a sedenstary lifestyle and depression.  Get off the couch and take a walk around the block...I know, I know...it's freakin' hard.  But, it's a start.  Take the xanax to help you do it.  My psychiatrist, in fact, just about every psychiatrist I have had tells me most anxiety/neurotics are loathe to take the sedative.  You take your diabetes meds, right?  THis is another form of illness.  Of course, this is with your Dr's. approval.  If he/she feels you can take a walk.  I AM NOT A DOCTOR.   Just a 61 year old woman who has suffered on and off most of my life.

Start taking better care of your physical appearance. WHen you look better, you feel a bit better.

I know this is all hard, Michael, but you're the only person who can help you...no one else can do this for you.  It's you living your life.

Get onto the chat discussion.  The people there are friendly and have the same fears and issues you do.  They share their successes and their failures. 

Also, I recommend you get health insurance.  You will be fined now if you don't get.  Start seeing a therapist every week.

I will be praying for you, Michael.

Best regards,

Julie

Bookmark and Share

Offline Michael60302

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:03:52 PM »
Julie,

Thanks for the advice. I know I should push myself more. You're right, it IS hard. As far as the Xanax goes, you make a good point in comparing it to diabetes. Anxiety is an issue too.

My health is otherwise okay, just a couple things I take care of. I will see if I can find some sort of counseling somewhere. It has to be out there.

Thanks again for taking the time to address my post.  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 07:38:17 AM »
Michael, get into he chat room, too.  Sometimes it can be a bot silly, but all of us in there are suffering the way you are.  It is a good diversion, too, when you are feeling anxiety.

Best regards,

Julie
Bookmark and Share