Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Sonohysterogram - flipping out  (Read 233 times)

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Sonohysterogram - flipping out
« on: March 27, 2014, 06:44:35 PM »
I have a sonohysterogram scheduled for tomorrow and made the mistake of reading other people's comments on this procedure online. For every "it was a breeze" there were five "it was the most painful thing in my life." I am one inch away from canceling the whole thing.

The only reason I am having this test is because last year I felt as though I was about to get my period, complete with cramps, etc. I was 1.5 year post menopause and ran to the doctor in a panic. He was unconcerned, did a pelvic, said I was fine. I never did get my period, but the event triggered a complete preoccupation with getting uterine cancer. Over the past year (!) I have been obsessively checking for any vaginal bleeding (none). Any kind of discharge has sent me into a panic. Two weeks ago I went back to my gynecologist and told him how I was flipping out about uterine cancer and have been for a year. He suggested this test so I could put my mind at ease. He said that they would do an ultrasound, and if my uterine lining was thick, they would do this test so he could definitively see what was going on in there. He literally said to me, "you don't have uterine cancer."

Now I am worried about the test, that they will find something, that I will be in incredible pain, that they will find something not related to uterine cancer but something else, that I will get an infection from it, blah, blah, blah. The only reason that I haven't canceled the test is because if everything comes back okay, then I will finally be able to put this fear behind me, stop obsessively checking for blood, etc. I am so sick of worrying about uterine cancer that I could scream.

Any words of support would be appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sonohysterogram - flipping out
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
I don't think I understand - you said he could do an ultrasound and if the uterine lining is thick he'd do that other test - why are you projecting that your uterine lining will be thick?  You have no symptoms.  It won't be thick, then all this worry about this test isn't necessary.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ivyt73

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:32:24 PM »
You probably won't need this test.  I am going through a mess of gyno issues due to really large fibroids and I have had tons of transvaginal sonos, if your uterine lining is thick they can tell very easily from the sonogram and won't need to do the second test.  I was supposed to have the same sonohysterogram a few weeks ago but due to my issues we decided to do an MRI which I had today. 

I have a co worker who just had one a month or so ago and she said it was no big deal.  If I was you I would have the sono and then stop worrying about uterine cancer.  The signs of uterine cancer are pain and bleeding after menopause and you didn't actually bleed.  I am sure you are fine.

Ivy
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:44:11 PM »
My Mom had uterine cancer.  There was NO doubt.  She had massive bleeding with huge clots.  She refused to go to the Dr for over a year and even when she was finally diagnosed, she still only needed hysterectomy since it's incredibly slow growing.  Your Dr is absolutely right, you do NOT have uterine cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »
I haven't had a sonohsterogram, but I did have an endometrial biopsy recently (long heavy periods, irregular spotting, I'm 36). Thankfully my OB sprung the endo biopsy on me before I could research it. Very unpleasant but I'm so glad I did it as endo C was one of my many worries. Don't cancel - just get it over with. And don't read any more about the procedure, try to distract yourself it will be over soon. Update us, hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 11:10:43 AM »
Thank you all for your support! This morning I got to the gynecologist's office, had a pelvic ultrasound and my lining was so thin they didn't do the sonohysterogram. Yipee! Then I had my annual - which I didn't know was scheduled - and reviewed everything with the doctor - thin lining, ovaries look good, checked heart, lungs, thyroid, breast exam - everything good. So glad I bit the bullet and got that over. Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »
Yay!!!  I'm so glad that you didn't have to go through that procedure and everything looks good!

Nice way to start the weekend. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 01:50:48 PM »
Thank you all for your support! This morning I got to the gynecologist's office, had a pelvic ultrasound and my lining was so thin they didn't do the sonohysterogram. Yipee! Then I had my annual - which I didn't know was scheduled - and reviewed everything with the doctor - thin lining, ovaries look good, checked heart, lungs, thyroid, breast exam - everything good. So glad I bit the bullet and got that over. Again, thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post.  :happy0151:

See that? I told you that your uterine lining won't be thick - I knew before the doctor did - just come to me from now on (LOL!!!)
Seriously though, glad to hear your mind is at ease, I know that is such a good feeling.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: