Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Symptoms While Feeling Completly Calm  (Read 288 times)

Offline ahefner33

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Symptoms While Feeling Completly Calm
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
Heres my big issue with anxiety and accepting anxiety. Everytime I have been to the dr about something that is bothering me, I start out about asking if this could be anxiety if it were what other signs would show. the Dr would go through all your typical anxiety symptoms like tense, worried, rushed, etc... I then say well I dont feel any of those so can I be having anxiety physical symptoms without all those. They usually pause and say "yes its possible".

My daily bouts with my physical symptoms stem from odd symptoms that usually either relate to something very major (like heart disease, stroke, cancer, etcc..) but if you can't narrow it from those, then it would have to be something odd like a rare virus (yes in my mind).

I can go about my day normally, wake up shower, feel alright, eat breakfast, take dog for a walk and then I have symptoms (for eg my neck and throat will tense- feel tight and then have a lump feeling in chest) . I take my medicine wait and nothing changes. So I just tell myself well just go relax and let it pass. This usually turns into a day of just trying my best to not do much. I never feel anxious, tense, no heart racing. Just plain feel bad, grumpy and confused. Then I will take more medicine and eventually I feel better.

Symptoms change but I have consistent ones that I feel feed to other anxiety type symptoms. Then I can be awaken in the middle of the night of a so called symptom (rapid shallow breathing) and then stay up the test of the night, maybe sleep 2 hours and then I wake and think ok when is this going to start today. Go about my business and nothing happens. Ok then Im thinking well its going to happen here in a while. Nothing happens. Im happy so I go and do more stuff I normally want to do. I mark this as a semi good night minus the lack of sleep.

The next day I can feel good, wait for it to happen and nothing. Then Im happy again and I go do the same things I did the other day. While doing something fun and totally distracted, then BAM. Im hit with these aggravating symptoms again. Which then I cant get my mind off of.

I cant wrap my mind of the scheduling on what triggers and why it happens just whenever. Medicine helps sometimes, sometimes it doesn't. Theres no consistency

But all this I never feel tense or anxious, Ive gotten to the point I just accept that its going to happen and Ill have to figure out next what to do. Typcial I know but when I tell this to a DR they give me the O_o look.

My psych that I consulted with says that I am "ping ponging" with my medicine since I would take it as needed whcih was advised by my prime doc and that I am oversensitized to any pain of discomfort. But I dunno though cause the ones that usually bother me are the ones that usually the ones that dibiltate me like the rapid breathing, the tight neck, stuck in chest discomfort, palptations. But if I have back pain, leg pain , headache which doesn't really bother me much from daily activities I'm fine.
Bookmark and Share
Live

Offline crosbie87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Symptoms While Feeling Completly Calm
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »
I can honestly say that my HA symptoms come at times when I am feeling well BUT also when I am thinking to myself "Wow .... I am doing well and so far no symptoms"... Technically, even though you are happy, you are still thinking about it and it can cause it to start. BEST thing to do is to distract yourself, even if its temporary for 10-15 minutes and then go back and see that those are the real times where you aren't thinking about it and the symptoms do actually disappear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
A lot of anxiety occurs at the subconscious level.

It can take MONTHS for your body to catch up once you start feeling fine.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
Agree with Steph.
It can take much time for the body to fully readjust to a non anxious symptom state.  And if we in that time, have a hit of anxiety, it ramps up the body again some.

Kind of like when startled and then later feel drained and weak in the knees, even though the event is passed.

Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 06:02:06 AM »
Dont think that just because you're not acticely concentrating on something that it means you're brain isn't working away at it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 06:21:10 AM »
When "regular" people (those without HA  :laugh3:) go through a very, very stressful time (that would bother ANYONE) they are fine at the time, it's after all is OVER and resolved that the symptoms start.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dan_76

• Finland
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:02:07 AM »
I can relate to what you are feeling. I think I am going though a bit similar situation myself. My symptom worst is that i feel lighteaded and dizzy almost 24/7.  At times it comes to the point when I feel like I am losing my mind or passing out. I am not afraid that I have some condition or disease. I am rather confident that I don't due to extensive tests I have gone through during past 3-4 years. So I am not worrying having a disease, but I am worrying that I won't ever feel fine again and this horrible feeling just continues.

As you, I don't have some of the hallmark symptoms of anxiety, like feeling tense or extensively worried. I don't have rapid heartbeat (rather slow actually), I don't hyperventilate. But it seems that benzos do help. I think that is rather strong indication. If there would be some physiological reason for these symptoms they would not go away with benzos. Ok, they might, but this is rather unlikely (i think...).

What I also found common is the fact that I have noticed in several occasions that some day I am thinking that "well, this has been a good day" and then few moments later WHAM hits the dizzyness.

I went to psychiatrist few weeks ago and he wasn't so convinced that I have anxiety, but after that I did my tests with those benzos he described and now I am feeling more confident that the anxiety is at least making me worse (I may have some form of dysautonomia, but it cannot explain everything). I got venlafaxin prescription from my GP and going to try that now and after 2-3 weeks go to see the psychiatrist again.

More I read anxiety stories, more confident I am that this thing can present in such many forms that almost anything is possible when your body really gets stressed out and starts acting in "funny" ways. But uncertainty is really a killer. If there would be test to perform that would indicate anxiety all this would be much easier. But if lot of tests have been done and there's nothing, only thing left is your mind. It is tough to swallow for me, but I think I am going towards that direction.

Maybe you should try to give your medicine a change and take it for few days and really see what happens. If it makes you feel better, it should mean something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ahefner33

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 01:55:32 PM »
Dan_76,

Man your situation or story sounds almost identical with me. I too have had Dr's tell me they didn't think it was fully anxiety. But that's as far as they get cause they can't really explain anything other than what the test say. I ask about why the benzos could help and they mention that it could help by its relaxing properties so you don't worry as much on what your feeling AND these drugs have powerful muscle (body pain) relaxants properties in them. So all though they do seem to help, it doesn't entirely mean that its all truly physchological.

I actually had a test at the Mayo that shows you how much stress you are under which is called a cortisol AM test. This, from what I was told, which show you how much stress hormones are released in the body by the adrenals. When I took this blood symptoms I was at full effect with some of my symptoms yet I scored a perfectly normal # on my test (range for mayo was 7-15 and mine was a 9)

Its hard for me and probably you too to try and convince yourself that its just anxiety when in reality its just truly uncertainity and no doctor really knows what is going on.

What Ive turned to is just trying to be positive and HOPING for more of the good days than the bad. Then when the bad comes around, do everything I have learned to get through it until it turns around again.
Bookmark and Share
Live

Offline dan_76

• Finland
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 03:09:20 PM »
I agree we have a lot in common. Was reading some of your earlier posts and I see several resemblances. I have never thought of calling my condition as health anxiety. Because I am not really looking for any serious disease in me - I am just looking for the lost health.

I had my cortisol taken as well and it was in the middle of the reference range. So nothing there.. not sure how sensitive that test is in diagnosing anxiety. And yes, it is tough to explain myself that it is anxiety because even doctors won't give confirmation - just that "it could be".

Well, I have been so miserable past few weeks that I don't really have an option. I need to check this anxiety route and see where I end up. This means starting the SSRI medication and go to psychiatrist again. As my well being has declined during past 6 months or so, I have struggled to "live it through", but now it feels like I cannot anymore. My symptoms are just too overwhelming. Compared to my previous low-point three years ago, now I have managed to keep myself out of the ER, just by telling myself that nothing serious has happened before, why should it now. This keeps me away from ER, but it doesn't make me feel any better. I just feel awful at home.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 03:18:42 PM »
Guys, I don't know if this helps, but I can relate to about 90% of what you're saying. Physical symptom will manifest as a result of anxiety that I don't even know is there (which i still have a hard time figuring out), or i'll get a physical symptom and really blow it out of proportion and won't even feel anxious at the time. Then i'll feel like "well if i don't go to the hospital now, whatever happens later as a result of my not going is my fault", kinda thing.

I really think I understand what you're saying.
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline dan_76

• Finland
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 05:12:01 AM »
Yeah, the feeling of passing out in any moment made me to go to ER many times. But after several frustrating trips I have given up. I have told to myself that as long as I can walk there myself, I don't belong there. I agree with your thinking though.. even knowing that I won't get any help from ER, I have went there because I have been thinking that if I pass out alone at home, there's no one going to help me.

I am rather sure that my feelings are out of proportion because nothing serious has ever happened. The first moments have resolved themselves. But this feeling I am having right now is really crap. It's something that you just want to go away. But it's inside you so where do you run. Just live it though.. and hope that one day it will be better or the meds kick in.

But have to say that by reading similar stories from others, makes me feel more confident that this is anxiety related and can be treated and most importantly that I am not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: