Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Jobs...  (Read 275 times)

Offline crazygirl1

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Jobs...
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »
ok. I need advice. I am currently working 35 hours a week at a job where they are wonderful about my dd. She is 7 and there are times when I need to pick her up from school or bring her in late such as delayed openings due to snow ( yes I know winter is ending...next year though...) Rather than have me take off or be out of the office, they say it's fine for me to bring her with me. Convenient, wonderful. However...I am looking at a new job possibly for other reasons ( pay, benefits, etc) BUT how do I bring up that I need to be able to bring my child to school on the late openings and pick her up from after care. Ultimately 35 hours works best for me & I'm not sure how to ask what their hours are and if its ok for me to give up a lunch break to go pick her up and bring her back to the office fro the rest of the work day ( maybe an hour at most, probably 30 min or 34. min) Do I bring these things up on the phoe or at the interview?
I know I know  some will say its not ok to ask an employer to divert from typical hours or whatever but I need to. People work 40 hours an hour away from home & have to put their kids in aftercare sometimes until 6 pm. I feel strongly this wouldn't be an ok change for my dd for a number of reasons ( don't wanna make this too long so I'm not gonna explain why)
so...if you have any ideas..how do I bring it up?
Bookmark and Share
Revelation 7:17
 ... and God will wipe every tear from their eyes."

Offline Joshin

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?
    • Poke This Member
Re: Jobs...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
Maybe during the interview when they ask if you have any questions, ask them if they are flexible when it comes to that sort of thing. I'm sure you are not the first person to need this sort of arrangement. An example question could be "How flexible with hours are you when it comes to daycare needs?" or something similar to that. Good luck with the job hunt!
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 10:53:26 AM »
thanks so much!!! i so appreciate the help....just putting words together is an effort sometimes with this anxiety. thank you.
Bookmark and Share
Revelation 7:17
 ... and God will wipe every tear from their eyes."

Offline MicTyson

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:46:26 AM »
I think you pretty much said what needs to be said. Tell them upfront that there are times where you have to pick up your daughter (with advanced notice of course) and that you can make up the missed time by starting early/ working later or giving up a paid break along with your lunch. Is this a big company? How often will you have to do this? Is your job an "emergency" position where the day depends on you? GOOD LUCK
Bookmark and Share

Tags: