Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Coffee, you poisoned mistress  (Read 299 times)

Online Benadryl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Coffee, you poisoned mistress
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:36:02 AM »
I haven't posted on here much, just joined recently so I may not know the protocol so forgive me if I break the rules.  I was wondering if anyone could offer me some support or inspiration, or wave a magic wand to help me break out of the really awful cycle of caffeine. I feel like a drug addict, and it's really getting at my self esteem. I tell myself every night before bed that I'm not going to have coffee in the morning because it seriously f's with my anxiety, and then every morning I just have to have it. I feel like I reward myself with it. I know that doesn't probably make sense, but it's like I feel so...I don't know what...affected, or stressed, that I think "I deserve this", and truth be told I love the first like 25 minutes of coffee...and then it's basically an all day anxiety fest. I get way deep inside my head and spend all day degrading myself for not being able to stick to something, and that's on top of the caffeine induced constant freak-out feeling i have throughout the day. I mean, seriously it's like drugs. and every day I say i'm going to quit, and every day I can't, and it's ruining the quality of my life.  I realize it's only coffee, but it's a big deal at the moment for me.

I seriously am having trouble breaking the cycle and could use some help if anyone has a spare moment.

Thanks,
Ben
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Coffee, you poisoned mistress
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 09:59:28 AM »
I guess it depends on how much coffee you drink a day, but I asked my psychiatrist about drinking a morning cup of coffee and she said a normal cup of coffee shouldn't affect me too much. I drink a 10 oz cup of morning blend coffee, nothing too strong.  If your drinking large amounts just try scaling it back so you don't get withdraw.  The anxiety your feeling might not be the caffeine just your worrying about the caffeine.
Bookmark and Share

Online Benadryl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »
Worrying about the caffeine...that's interesting.
I drink decaf if you can believe it. But there is still a small amount of caffeine in there.
I need to just break out of it...or like challenge myself...i just can't seem to get it together.
Thanks for the reply.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »
I was going to say to switch to decaf, but you say that is what you're drinking.  I absolutely love coffee too, there is a coffee shop right down the street from me, and the coffee there is to die for.  Whenever I go shopping at Target I always have to stop in the Starbucks that is conveniently located in the store for a cup.  I used to drink regular, but since my anxiety started I only drink decaf; the most I drink is 1/2 to 1 cup a couple times a week, because it is like a treat for me.  I don't see anything wrong with having it everyday, except if you think it flares up your anxiety maybe you are just sensitive even to the small amount of caffeine---do you add sugar, could be that too.
Bookmark and Share

Online Benadryl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 03:05:18 PM »
Hey Carrie. yes I put sugar in it, you think that's complicating things? I have a complete sugar addiction.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 03:50:33 PM »
I'm not an expert, but sugar can be a problem.  Sugar itself does not cause anxiety, but the changes that sugar causes like the spike in glucose etc. can make people who have anxiety anxious because they are highly in tuned to any change their body may have.  Especially if sugar makes an anxious person shaky or jittery it can be confused with anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Online Benadryl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 04:36:21 PM »
I know this is leading to I should try not to eat any sugar. I feel like that will be impossible. Does  beer count?  I really should do some sort of experiment with this so I can see what's making me crazy.

Thanks Carrie.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
When I had GAD symptoms this winter, I also wondered about my coffee and Diet Coke intake.  For about a week and a half, I cut both of them out.
Drank tea, non caf colas, etc.  It had no effect on easing my anxiety.

But then I've noticed that when I drink coffee and Coke in the evening, it has never interfered with me sleeping.  So I guess I'm just one of those people for who caffein is not a big factor.  Still, it was worth trying.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: