Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: CT scan for stomach issues?  (Read 97 times)

Offline Mom21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
CT scan for stomach issues?
« on: March 27, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »
My BIL has been having stomach problems lately including throwing up, diarrhea, churning, etc. He went to his regular dr who took some bloodwork. He was feeling worse and got into a dr (having to pull over on the way to throw up) who said it was IBS and prescribed Prilosec. He is starting to feel a little better, but his regular doctor has ordered a CT scan for Friday. Bloodwork came back fine. Dr wants to "rule things out and make sure it's IBS and not something else". This doesn't sound right. Why wouldn't they just do an ultrasound? What exactly are they checking for? Cancer? I'm really worried about him!
Bookmark and Share

Offline hamsterswheel

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: CT scan for stomach issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:37:24 AM »
I know my gran had a ct for stomach issues. Ultrasounds cannot see the intestines very well and tht why normally would have an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. Or straight to ct. try not to worry too much.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: CT scan for stomach issues?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 09:26:03 AM »
That's just standard procedure - a doctor HAS to rule out the serious stuff, and needs certain tests to do so.  If he doesn't and it turns out to BE serious, there go those malpractice suits again. There is probably nothing wrong and your BIL will go through various tests only to be told at the end it's IBS.   It DOES sound like it though.  Cancer of the bowel wouldn't cause vomiting and cancer of the stomach wouldn't cause diarrhea, however IBS would cause them both (I knew a lady who had it and she'd get really bad like that)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: