Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Waking up and seeing things  (Read 163 times)

Offline mikeyw92

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Waking up and seeing things
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:38:16 PM »
With my anxiety I jolt awake a lot witch I know happens with anxiety sufferers but lately when I wake up the second I open my eyes they focus on something and see it as something it isn't. For example I fell asleep on the couch woke up an looked at a plant but seen it as a person for like a split second and realised its a plant. A funny one was seeing a window above the bedroom door for a second as an iPad this morning. It's always seeing objects as something there not like a light on the ceiling will look like so something else for a second then I go oh it's just the light and go back asleep. This has only started happening since I have had anxiety so in guessing it's related, hopefully someone else who has had this can give me some info thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Waking up and seeing things
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:48:24 PM »
I've woken up not knowing where I was...even though I'm in my bed.  Have you been checked for sleep apnea?  With apnea you can wake mid sleep cycle... causing you to think your still in a dream.  Since starting Cpap I haven't woken up anxious (knock on wood).
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikeyw92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:52:02 PM »
Yeah I do do sometimes wake up not knowing we're I am and also my room looks different sometimes it's weird. I haven't been faced kerd for next time I see my doctor i will speak to him about that. Thanks for the reply!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »
From what I read the part of our brain that handles our identity (who we are, where we live, what our house looks like) is inactive during sleep.  That's why when were joulted out of sleep things seem off.  It takes 30 seconds for that part of the brain to come online again and we know where we are and what's going on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikeyw92

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »
That does seem to make a lot of sense to be honest thanks again
Bookmark and Share

Offline EmmanuelGonzo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 12:09:27 AM »
Trust me it's anxiety related.  The same thing happened/happens to me.  I"ve seen a plethora of things when I suddenly wake up, i've seen the whole room like a grid, i've seen things that aren't there,  i've seen names words and faces on the walls.  But once I've accepted that it's my anxiety and the brain needs time to wake up, it has gotten a lot better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Oscar

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 01:32:55 AM »
It's called hypnagogic hallucination; it's a transition state from sleep to wakefulness and very common with people who suffer from anxiety. It does not mean you're developing a mental illness.  Based on my own experience, I wouldn't worry too much.   The more you pay attention the worse it becomes.  I have had anxiety all my life. I'm 46 now.  I hope this helps.

This is not a medical advice; it's just my own opinion based on my own experience.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: