Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: wellbutrin making me ANGRY?  (Read 183 times)

Offline kutekat

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
wellbutrin making me ANGRY?
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:55:01 PM »
so i've been on a cocktail of wellbutrin xl 150mg, klonopin 1mg 2x day, and remeron 15mg at night, and I have been on the klonopin since december, and remeron for atleast 5-6 weeks now? but the wellbutrin...i have been on it for 4 weeks, maybe a little more, and i would say it is kicking in. how do i know this? i don't feel sad all the time anymore, i don't feel that dreadful depressed feeling...like that lingering ache in your whole body; i don't feel suicidal anymore. also my energy has been surprisingly good! i never feel the need to nap anymore. but, i have not felt happy. i have felt VERY APATHETIC, in a very mean way. i just don't care anymore. i don't care about my responsibilities or anyone. i have NEVER EVER been an angry person, honestly never! i mean i do get annoyed sometimes, but i would never get angry. oohhhh that is not the case anymore. everyone i know has been telling me that i have been a lot more mean, and angry for no good reason. and i have noticed it too. i do not feel happy at all. i do not feel like i love or care about anyone. i feel irritated all the time, and i feel irritated whenever i interact with people because i think they are being absolutely stupid. and i have had a couple fits of rage. one time a BAD MOVIE threw me into a huge fit of rage, i mean pure anger. i felt like i wanted to break something (NOT LIKE ME AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) now my GP started me on the wellbutrin, and about a week and a half ago i went to see a new psychiatrist and i told him that i don't think the wellbutrin has kicked in yet, but it has been making me feel angry when i have never been angry before. he brushed it off and said people get side effects and it should pass. IS THIS TRUE? because i know that for some people it does not go away, and 4 weeks of anger, irritability, and apathy with it seemingly getting worse does NOT  seem like this will pass. so to sum it up: wellbutrin has made me an angry, irritated, apathetic BITCH. while i was always a kind, understanding, empathetic, and deeply emotional person.

so....the question is. should i just STOP taking the wellbutrin xl? i don't think i can really taper off this since it is xl........which means i can't cut it in half. and i can't call the doctor yet about this until friday. so wtf should i do? i really don't see this getting better since it just has been getting worse. should i just stop? will i get any horrific withdrawal symptoms? PLEASE HELP! the klonopin and remeron have been good to me, but i'm scared i will become extremely suicidal if i get off the wellbutrin. this is a mess! thanks for any responses/advice.

also i want to add this in for anyone who is just starting wellbutrin: DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU WILL BECOME EXTREMELY UNINHIBITED. AND VERY ANGRY. NOT A GOOD MIX.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 85
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: wellbutrin making me ANGRY?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:16:36 PM »
so....the question is. should i just STOP taking the wellbutrin xl?

Agitation and anger are known Wellbutrin side-effects which may or may not diminish. Maybe replacing the mirtazapine with a mood stabilizer will resolve these issues if they doesn't ease. Many are sedating to a greater or lesser extent.

i don't think i can really taper off this since it is xl........which means i can't cut it in half.

Your best shot would be to switch to Wellbutrin immediate release tablets which can be cut.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 06:30:44 PM »
i called my doctor and he told me to just stop taking it. he said it should be out of my system within 5 days, and so far this is day 2 of not taking it. still feeling very anxious and apathetic and irritable. the anxiety got so bad at one point i had to take 2 extra klonopin. do you think klonopin + remeron(maybe an increased dose) is a good combination? i don't like being on 2 antidepressants. i might ask about tricyclic antids.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 07:13:14 PM »
do you think klonopin + remeron(maybe an increased dose) is a good combination?

As you probably know I have reservations about using benzodiazepines as primary taken daily meds because of the uncertainty of getting prescriptions in future. Remeron can be very effective at therapeutic doses. It's main disadvantages are that it can be very sedating and it is the antidepressant most likely to poop-out.

i might ask about tricyclic antids.

IMHO, they are a better long term bet than Remeron. Either amitriptyline (Elavil), or imipramine (Tofranil) would be good initial choices, or if you've reacted badly in the past to SSRIs, the more norepinephrinergic nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor) and desipramine (Norpramin).

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »
do you think klonopin + remeron(maybe an increased dose) is a good combination?

As you probably know I have reservations about using benzodiazepines as primary taken daily meds because of the uncertainty of getting prescriptions in future. Remeron can be very effective at therapeutic doses. It's main disadvantages are that it can be very sedating and it is the antidepressant most likely to poop-out.

i might ask about tricyclic antids.

IMHO, they are a better long term bet than Remeron. Either amitriptyline (Elavil), or imipramine (Tofranil) would be good initial choices, or if you've reacted badly in the past to SSRIs, the more norepinephrinergic nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor) and desipramine (Norpramin).

Ian

when i go back i'm definitely going to bring those up. and mostly all the doctors i've seen have no problem prescribing klonopin. i guess the phoenix area is good for that. but even though i was on wellbutrin for 5 weeks i feel withdrawal symptoms already. my anxiety really high and i feel hot and very nauseous. UGH this sucks. are all those meds you mentioned sedating? i like sedating antids because i have trouble sleeping.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
UGH this sucks. are all those meds you mentioned sedating? i like sedating antids because i have trouble sleeping.

Yes, to varying degrees. Amitriptyline is likely to be the most sedating, however, it is also more likely to produce ongoing nuisance side-effects such as dry-mouth and constipation. Doxepin is even more sedating, but a little easier on those other side-effects.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline kutekat

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 09:20:17 PM »
UGH this sucks. are all those meds you mentioned sedating? i like sedating antids because i have trouble sleeping.

Yes, to varying degrees. Amitriptyline is likely to be the most sedating, however, it is also more likely to produce ongoing nuisance side-effects such as dry-mouth and constipation. Doxepin is even more sedating, but a little easier on those other side-effects.

Ian

thank you SOOOOOO much for the advice. i know you're on a tricyclic is it one of those? i am tired of these new school antidepressants they honestly all make me feel horrible. i can deal with constipation and dry mouth. do you think there is no hope for remeron? i am on 15mg only, it has helped my mood before the wellbutrin kicked in  but it made me eat like a piggy though that has gone away. my psych doc accidentally wrote me a script for 30mg and i'm thinking about just upping the dose and seeing what happens, but then again i don't want to self medicate lol.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 11:53:12 PM »
i know you're on a tricyclic is it one of those

No, I'm on dosulepin, aka dothiepin, (Prothiaden, Dothep) which has never been sold in America and won't be given that even in its biggest market, the UK, it has has been removed from the list of drugs that can be prescribed to new patients because it is very cardio toxic.  Which is a pity because it is pretty much side-effects free.

I was on imipramine before it and that was very effective for panic disorder, however dry mouth and constipation were an issue, although manageable with a high fibre diet and plenty of water. I used to have very vibrant and colourful dreams while taking it. It's been about 20 years, but I still miss them.

do you think there is no hope for remeron?

It will probably be effective enough at 30-45mg/day. It is a pretty good antideprssants, especially for very severe, almost catatonic, depression. The problem is that being prone to poop-out it may not remain effective. And, as you've discovered, it can trigger powerful carbohydrate cravings.

my psych doc accidentally wrote me a script for 30mg and i'm thinking about just upping the dose and seeing what happens, but then again i don't want to self medicate lol.

I think that you should discuss this with your doctor first. There probably won't be a reason why you shouldn't try Remeron, but it is always good to ask.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: