Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone Else Worry They Have CFS?  (Read 115 times)

Offline anxietysucks!

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone Else Worry They Have CFS?
« on: March 26, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »
Hey everyone,

So I have a question that I figure would be better answered on this forum than a doctor, since some people who know a lot more about CFS than a lot of docs!

I've had anxiety (Panic/GAD) probably since I was 20 years old (I'm now 28), with years where it wasn't an issue. The past year I've had severe anxiety, most likely due to a job change, starting graduate school, getting married, and buying a house. Most of my symptoms are typical of anxiety disorders, including:

Pounding Heart
Sweaty Palms
Dizziness
Feeling that something terrible is about to happen
Trouble swallowing, only when nervous
Tiredness
Depression
OCD Thoughts

The thing that is limiting my recovery, however, is the fear that I have CFS. This is due to the fact that my workouts have gotten progressively worse over the past 2 years. I used to run or workout almost every day. For example, I'd run 4-6 miles with no problems. Over the last few years, I've had more and more days where I feel tired and need to walk. I occasionally have days where I feel good and can run the whole way, but more often than not, I can't. Essentially, I feel like my body doesn't recover like it used to. My legs often feel fatigued (which really scares me). However, I don't think there is a strength loss, which makes me feel like it can't be something sinister like ALS or MS.

Again, the biggest issue is that my muscles feel fatigued a lot of the time, which affects my workouts, but not necessarily my day to day living (other than giving me anxiety, which DOES affect my life). Is this typical of CFS, or would it be a lot worse? How does CFS usually start/progress? Should I worry that it's going to get worse, or is this pretty typical of bad anxiety disorders?

ANY help would be much appreciated, because it would help me rid some of my anxiety that is wearing my body down. Also, just an FYI, I have had blood workups for thyroid, liver function, celiac disease, and some muscle enzyme test, which all came back normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone Else Worry They Have CFS?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
The fatigue feeling could definitely be the anxiety itself. You mentioned recovery time. I race motocross and the average retiring age on the professional level is between 28 and 32. Now, I don't know about this from experience because I'm only 16, but what all the experts always talk about when they explain why the retiring age is so low, is because at around this age, recovery time slows. The things you did when you were 25 are more difficult at 30, that kind of thing and in a sport where that is so key where your heart rate is maxed almost the whole time (like running) it makes a difference. As a runner, you could maybe relate that to your own situation. Maybe it's just simply some aging starting to creep in, everyone ages and you're at that age where it first shows it's teeth!

That's the best way I know how to answer this one, I know nothing about CFS. I hope I helped some.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:34:32 PM »
People who have CFS start off all different ways. There is not one certain manner.
I have both fiibro and CFS. I was diagnosed with the Fibromyalgia first. Then a few years later I was diagnosed with the Chronic Fatigue.
The fatigue can be overwhelming at times but I push through the times when it flares.
I have Anxiety as well. All of these diagnoses were by a doctor not by me.

A friend of mine also has severe CFS and yet she is a mother of two young children (one with special needs) and she is an attorney.
She says things flare but then she just tried to sneak in a few more hours of sleep and she begins to feel better. She has had this for a number of years.
She too was diagnosed by a doctor.
She and I had not heard of these issues until the doctor brought them up with us and the diagnosis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietysucks!

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 08:55:32 PM »
People who have CFS start off all different ways. There is not one certain manner.
I have both fiibro and CFS. I was diagnosed with the Fibromyalgia first. Then a few years later I was diagnosed with the Chronic Fatigue.
The fatigue can be overwhelming at times but I push through the times when it flares.
I have Anxiety as well. All of these diagnoses were by a doctor not by me.

A friend of mine also has severe CFS and yet she is a mother of two young children (one with special needs) and she is an attorney.
She says things flare but then she just tried to sneak in a few more hours of sleep and she begins to feel better. She has had this for a number of years.
She too was diagnosed by a doctor.
She and I had not heard of these issues until the doctor brought them up with us and the diagnosis.

Thank you for the response! I know I can't really get a definitive answer, and it makes sense that anxiety could cause this, or it could be CFS. Either way, the thing that made me feel better was that I can function and be happy with it. I think the thing that scares me deep down inside is that I'm going to lose the ability to be happy. I'm sure my thoughts are misconstrued (that's how I cause my anxiety in the first place), but seeing/hearing of others that function makes me happy :)

There just isn't enough information on the internet about CFS other than the WebMD or Mayo websites, which only tell you the symptoms (some of which are ambiguous).
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietysucks!

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:57:54 PM »
The fatigue feeling could definitely be the anxiety itself. You mentioned recovery time. I race motocross and the average retiring age on the professional level is between 28 and 32. Now, I don't know about this from experience because I'm only 16, but what all the experts always talk about when they explain why the retiring age is so low, is because at around this age, recovery time slows. The things you did when you were 25 are more difficult at 30, that kind of thing and in a sport where that is so key where your heart rate is maxed almost the whole time (like running) it makes a difference. As a runner, you could maybe relate that to your own situation. Maybe it's just simply some aging starting to creep in, everyone ages and you're at that age where it first shows it's teeth!

That's the best way I know how to answer this one, I know nothing about CFS. I hope I helped some.

Thanks for the response as well! I know that I'm going to slow down some at 28, but a lot of my friends still work out hard or do triathlon, etc. I don't expect to have the best times ever, or being able to workout at 100% of what I did at 21, but I would think I could still do 95% of it. I hate to attribute this much reduction in workout to aging (I'm still in my 20's!).

I'm thinking it's just a combo of life stressors (grad school, buying a house, etc), anxiety, not sleeping well, and probably working out too hard and not recovering well enough.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:11:22 PM »
Exactly. As I said, the anxiety alone can cause the fatigued feeling. Trust me! I have it too!
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Tags: