Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Serious Question, Does Body-Wide Twitching prove it's not MS?  (Read 293 times)

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
The fact that the twitching moves to a new spot every day, does that really prove that the twitching is anxiety or that it isn't MS? I've heard this from a few people, but never read that on any MS websites.

So when the twitching moves from place to place, is that proof it is not MS related?

I'm not too worried that I have MS any more. Now I just want to learn some more about it.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Serious Question, Does Body-Wide Twitching prove it's not MS?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »
I don't have twitching, but I have fasciculations. They are 2 different things. I have had fasciculations for a year now. I went and had an eval by a neurologist and since my EMG is normal and the MRI of my brain is normal, that means there is no "pathological" cause so thus I have Benign Fasciculation Syndrome. I get them all day long nonstop and they jump from place to place all over my body, mostly in my face and arms and back. Well, Zoloft can cause that, which i have been on for over a decade so I am going to stop taking the zoloft to see if they go away. I have also been checked for lymes, magnesium deficiency, and celiac disease, also had creatinine kinase checked. It has to be the zoloft. Even it says so that that is an adverse reaction from it. I have been on 50 mg zoloft once per day all these years. So today i started to taper down to 25 mg, and i will stay on 25 mg i am thinking at least 2 months, then take it every other day, then every couple days... so i plan to do this for about a 6 month period. I had less fasciculations today. That could just be coincidence though. Do you take zoloft or any other SSRI?
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:51:46 PM »
oh and by the way that is not a symptom of MS. I have 3 family members with MS and none of them have twitching or fasciculations. They get the leg jumps, but that is after major damage is done and you would know that... you would have severe difficulty walking. CLose your eyes, stand up, and put your arms out, now touch your nose and keep eyes closed this entire time. If you had MS you would not be able to do that. My dad has MS and he would fall flat on the floor if he tried to do that. Can you walk on your tippy toes across the room in a straight line? Can you walk on your heels across the room in a straight line? People with MS can't do that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 06:58:33 PM »
oh and also a lot of people get fasciculations after working out (i always get them for about 5 minutes after a workout). That is normal. That is the muscles reacting to lactic acid and that is supposed to happen. Are you very athletic? Also, you may be a little dehydrated if you are getting them. So, i get the lactic acid normal fasciculations for a few minutes after a workout... but i get the regular body wide fasciculations all day long which i think is adverse reaction to zoloft. I don't know you... but if i had to place a bet I would bet that you are an athletic person, eat healthy... maybe a higher protein less carb type diet? And i wonder if you also take an SSRI.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 07:43:21 PM »
I don't have twitching, but I have fasciculations. They are 2 different things. I have had fasciculations for a year now. I went and had an eval by a neurologist and since my EMG is normal and the MRI of my brain is normal, that means there is no "pathological" cause so thus I have Benign Fasciculation Syndrome. I get them all day long nonstop and they jump from place to place all over my body, mostly in my face and arms and back. Well, Zoloft can cause that, which i have been on for over a decade so I am going to stop taking the zoloft to see if they go away. I have also been checked for lymes, magnesium deficiency, and celiac disease, also had creatinine kinase checked. It has to be the zoloft. Even it says so that that is an adverse reaction from it. I have been on 50 mg zoloft once per day all these years. So today i started to taper down to 25 mg, and i will stay on 25 mg i am thinking at least 2 months, then take it every other day, then every couple days... so i plan to do this for about a 6 month period. I had less fasciculations today. That could just be coincidence though. Do you take zoloft or any other SSRI?

No, I'm not on any anxiety meds at all. I'm 16, my doctor wants me to avoid medication because he says the cure to anxiety comes from yourself and yourself alone.

Yes, I'm athletic. I'm a motocross racer, and I play for my high school football team in Texas. The twitching (or fascilations I'm not sure what the difference is) actually began a few days after a very strenuous offseason workout during the workout period at school. I had twitching in my right tricep that lasted a few seconds at a time, that happened probably 10 or so times that afternoon, but never came back to that spot the next day or any other day since. It's been 2 weeks. Since then, though, I've had some twitching in my left thigh, left foot, right thigh, left torso, right calf, it's everywhere! So strange. These only started occurring after I googled MS and ALS symptoms because I worried about the initial arm twitch.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 08:16:39 PM »
You have 3 family members with MS, could you describe how they presented? The simple at home tests are reassuring but if it was that simple to rule out MS wouldn't Dr.'s just use these tests? And in early stages, couldn't someone pass these tests?
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 09:39:09 PM »
i am VERY glad to hear that your doctor said NO to medications. Never ever take these meds. Trust me. Especially that you are so young. If you take these meds it is like opening pandora's box. Doctors prescribe these meds too freely to people that don't need them. I am one of those people.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
You overdid it during that strenuous football session. These strenuous sessions push it too much and then the concern is of rhabdomyolysis (which you do not have by the way, trust me... you would not be sitting here typing right now). I would however recommend you to get some labs done to check thyroid, celiac panel, electrolytes, metabolic panel, liver functions, creatinine kinase, magnesium, lymes... all of which I would think would be negative. You should stop the twitching soon. Make sure you are keeping yourself well hydrated. Stretch before and after a workout. You are ok you just overdid it at the football session. The twitching in your case will stop soon. May take 6-8 weeks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »
With the MS.. my dad got it age 41. Just all of a sudden fell flat down and had no feeling waste down for 2 weeks. Then he was ok for a while but every now and then would have flareups where he could not walk for a few weeks. My aunt had it very bad. Similar like my dad. My cousin has it, I believe she only ever had a couple flareups and that was it. One of my coworkers has MS and never had any problems with walking. With her she can't see when she has a flareup and then is totally fine again. It hits people usually either visually or with being paralyzed during flareups. Heat kills my dad. He has to stay in air conditioning in the summer because the heat makes him unable to walk. Some people only have one flareup their whole entire life. Everyone is different. In people with MS, they would have to not only have optic neuritis but spots on their brain on an MRI consistent with MS plaques. MS attacks the myelin sheath. THe myelin sheath is the coating around the nerve to protect it. My dad says he feels electric shock type feelings in his legs a lot. You do not have MS or ALS.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
So based on what you're telling me, if I did have MS, there would be no doubt? There wouldn't be just minor symptoms at first like the twitching for example and the random cold feet and all of that? What you described seems like your fathers onset was quick and severe. I have read numerous times that people who have MS didn't "think" they had anything wrong at first they KNEW something was really wrong. For me, I just keep having random coldness in the hands and feet, twitching, other minor things like that. These go away when I'm distracted in football or out on the track racing MX. So is this true? It's not an "I think" but an "I know" type of thing? I passed all of those at-home tests you can do like the reflexes, pupil check for ON, strength tests, all that. All normal results.
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 10:19:29 PM »
Yes, there is no doubt in my mind. You are having this problem from fatigued overworked muscles... you definitely need to re-hydrate and also I would say in the meantime stretch and breathing would help spread oxygen to the muscles, kind of like yoga, that has good reparative properties to help your muscles heal. Twitching is not a symptom of MS. People with MS that have twitching would have major damage first as in not being able to walk, going blind for a few days, severe spasms, dropping things, falling, then they would probably start to feel lots of pins and needles as the myelin sheath is destroyed exposing the nerve and then when that dies then they would have twitching spasms and phantom feelings i would think. Also, i noticed people with MS get really bad sloppy handwriting before they are diagnosed. From poor muscle control i am thinking. Try taking a warm bath daily for the next week or so to help those muscles get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »
I have been taking hot bath's frequently actually. Mainly because the warm steam helps my sinuses (it's my allergy season). I don't feel as though I'm overworking my muscles though, no more than in the past any how. Is it just the anxiety in that case? I do get the pins an needles sometimes. And my handwriting - it sucks to begin with so that's clearly not going to be any kind of indicator for me! Haha
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 05:48:52 AM »
No you were definitely overworking your muscles during the heavy workout season even though you did not feel it, now they are repairing themselves. Are you taking medicine for your sinuses? I do not believe anxiety to cause twitching. I think that is bull and a poor excuse made up on the internet. I think the twitching/fasciculations start for a basic simple reason and THEN when the person starts to focus on it that is when the anxiety develops, then the person is looking for it, waiting for it, starting to think of possible causes of it, stuff like that. Pins and needles are normal. That is not like the electric type shock feeling of when your nerves are being attacked. You know, my fasciculations started I think either from the zoloft or they started also during a period of when i was eating a high protein, low carb diet along with lifting weights and exercising. That combo i guess did me in lol. This seems to be very common amongst athletic people. Maybe because they get that normal lactic acid reaction after a workout and start paying attention to it thinking they have MS or ALS and also athletic people are more prone to being dehydrated, electrolyte imbalances, low sodium, extreme dieting and not enough carbs, tired muscles... all this stuff can lead to benign PVCs in my opinion and these benign fasciculations. If your sinuses are bothering you, this is also telling me you need more fluids, hence mild dehydration, hence the twitching and muscles repairing themselves
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »
So you don't believe that my fear of MS and ALS and thinking about twitching so much is actually CAUSING the twitching? I never used to get twitches like this before my anxiety, and after workouts I almost never had them. No matter how hard I worked.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 11:58:21 AM »
Did you get my PM?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: