Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Celexa Update At 18 weeks...  (Read 400 times)

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Celexa Update At 18 weeks...
« on: March 26, 2014, 02:40:23 PM »
Hi Everyone...

I was started on Celexa (Citalopram), 20 mg, some 18 weeks ago (4 months).  I have made some really good progress, and would say in general that I feel some 90% better.

In the last two days, I have felt an increase in anxiety.  Is it normal to continue to have some off days like this, this far into treatment?

Thanks in advance for any responses...

Chuck
Bookmark and Share

Offline Abraham2007

• Rec's: 10
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
Re: Celexa Update At 18 weeks...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »
Hi Chuck,

Sorry to hear about the past two days.  As you know I've been taking my antidepressant, Setraline, for a while, at the highest, recommended dose.   Yet I still get bouts of uncontrollable anxiety, however when this occurs for me, it's usually related to how some encounter triggered my anxious thinking.  For example, I'll catch myself thinking about things I lack, when I encounter an alpha male who is a CEO of a company and has a beautiful wife and kids, so I shrink in my mind, because I may temporarily feel less than in comparison to his accomplishments.

When the anxiety spell happens:                                                                     

1) I review where I've been thinking for the last two days.
2) Take an Ativan to help control the physical reaction.  I have a prescription of Ativan, where I pack the medication in a small box, and carry it wherever I go.  For me a 60 quantity medication lasts me a year, however I normally don't take the full amount of meds.  Yet when the anxiety takes over, despite my use of Setraline, then I take the Ativan.  I also don't exceed three days of Ativan during a seven day week.

Once the Ativa settles in, I try to ignore the issue that is bothering me, where I just don't think about it.  If this is too difficult, I then work on my cognitive therapy exercises to shift my focus, so I don't over react to the situation.  I basically try to rethink the situation on how I direct my focus.

How's your CBT going?  Have you been able to implement cognitive exercises when your mind gets trapped in an anxiety spiral?

Steve

Bookmark and Share
Quacks prey on us Anxiety Disorder sufferers as part of the Mental Health community, since we can be desperate for healing.  Don't be victimized, instead be EDUCATED about  QUACKERY!!!!! http://www.quackwatch.com/ 

Offline insights

• Rec's: 100
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »
In the last two days, I have felt an increase in anxiety.  Is it normal to continue to have some off days like this, this far into treatment?

Yes, it is Chuck. Even people without anxiety disorders have bad days. The fickle finger of fate is unpredictable. Have you been under greater than usual stress lately?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Birch531

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:34:10 PM »
I agree that some bouts of anxiety still are normal and expected. I'm glad to hear overall that it's working. I was on Celexa last year and about 12-14 or so weeks in, I felt the best I had in a long time...I didn't think it was the Celexa because it was after the "6-8 week" period in which it was supposed to take effect. Not trying to hijack your post, but at what point after starting it did the Celexa really start working for you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:00:32 PM »
Hi Birch...  Thanks for your reply.

You are not hijacking my post at all.  In fact, I really think it is great when a post generates more questions from the respondents.

Actually, anti-depressants take between 3 and 12 weeks to see degrees of improvement.  And further improvement can be seen over a year and even longer.

My big problem, Birch, was anxiety (GAD), with a few panic attacks, and you can throw in a touch of depression too.  At about three weeks into the therapy, the depression lifted.  So did some negative thoughts I was having.  The panic attacks were next to disappear.  I would say I was into my 10th week on Celexa when the anxiety finally began to settle down.

Are you still on the Celexa, or a different anti-depressant?

The very best to you, Birch!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Birch531

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »
Thanks! And good luck to you too. I am not on Celexa now and am having pretty bad general anxiety and some depression. My diagnosis is OCD and GAD. Thankfully I haven't had panic attacks in some time. I'm not on any meds right now mainly due to being pregnant, even though I know some antidepressants can be okay in pregnancy. I would like to exhaust other options before ADs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BusuB

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »
My big problem, Birch, was anxiety (GAD), with a few panic attacks, and you can throw in a touch of depression too.  At about three weeks into the therapy, the depression lifted.  So did some negative thoughts I was having.  The panic attacks were next to disappear.  I would say I was into my 10th week on Celexa when the anxiety finally began to settle down.

This is true to my experience so far with fluoxetine. At week 8 I had a terrible week of anxiety but panic nor depression returned.  I think it's finally settling out after being on the stuff for 11 weeks.  I'm hopeful I still have a ways to go as my anxiety is still higher than I'd like and it'd be nice to know it should still decrease a bit.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: