Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Been on Prozac for 21 days.. HORRIFIC. Please share time.  (Read 314 times)

Offline valleyplayer42

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Pissed
    Pissed
    • Poke This Member
Been on Prozac for 21 days.. HORRIFIC. Please share time.
« on: March 26, 2014, 09:44:25 AM »
AWFUL. I got a dizzy spell 24 hours after a night of heavy drinking. It boosted my anxiety. 2 days later, I started prozac 10 mg and quit smoking. 15 days later I was upped to 20 mg. Was on that for 6 days. I quit it monday. Talked to my doctor he said I can come off it.

I have never felt so horrific in these 3 weeks in my entire life. I felt depersonalization to no end, when I walk around its like im not even walking, I feel dizzy, my eyes feel tight, I have head pressure, I am nauseous, I barely have an appetite, I've lost some weight. I want to do nothing but lay down half the time I cant even fall asleep even though I want too. This has been for the entire time of 21 days of being on this, but being THE WORST for the last 4 days since upping to 20 mg. I am done giving it a chance, with my luck I probably have some under lying illness that fell on an IRONIC time and this isnt from the prozac.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Been on Prozac for 21 days.. HORRIFIC. Please share time.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:51:30 PM »
with my luck I probably have some under lying illness that fell on an IRONIC time and this isnt from the prozac.

It is almost certainly the Prozac. Unfortunately, some people have very severe initial reaction to antidepressants.

Celexa (citalopram) is the SSRI most people have the least trouble starting, so may be worth trying. Alternatively, the older tricyclic antidepressants are usually more benign in this regard than the SSRIs and SNRIs, though at the cost of more ongoing nuisance side-effects such as constipation and dry-mouth. If it is covered adequately by your health insurance then therapy should also be considered. The cognitive/behavioural/mindfulness therapies are at least as effective as medication.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline valleyplayer42

Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
It is awful absolutely awful. I feel like my body is moving slower, my eyes feel like they are moving on there own  I dont even know how to explain some of these dumb symptoms.

I wonder how long before this is out of my body. I cant keep feeling this way. Plus I woke up with a dry sore throat this morning and I have 99.9 temperature so i'll probably get the flu on top of this.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:28:31 PM »
I wonder how long before this is out of my body. I cant keep feeling this way. Plus I woke up with a dry sore throat this morning and I have 99.9 temperature so i'll probably get the flu on top of this.

Prozac has a very long half-life so may take over a month to be completely eliminated from your body, but any symptoms from it should be short lived given you've only been on it for 3 weeks. The flu is likely to be the bigger problem.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline valleyplayer42

Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 06:41:49 PM »
I have a feeling its MS or a brain tumor and im wasting my time either way. Saw an ENT about the dizziness said it was anxiety and nothing neurological and my regular doctor looked at my optical nerve in my eye and said I am fine. That didnt help me. I feel uncoordinated and wierd off balance feeling its hard to explain but it has been the entire time but the thing that makes me nervous is that it STARTED 2 days before I started prozac. So Im freaking out either way. I hope I start to feel better and it is the prozac really.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 06:58:53 PM »
I feel uncoordinated and wierd off balance feeling its hard to explain but it has been the entire time but the thing that makes me nervous is that it STARTED 2 days before I started prozac. So Im freaking out either way. I hope I start to feel better and it is the prozac really.

Your symptoms are consistent with anxiety. The Prozac may have added to them as antidepressants often initially increase anxiety and trigger a range of other side-effects. But the body will adjust to the med and most symptoms diminish after a few weeks though they may return if the dose is increased.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 11:21:09 PM »
I've been having the off balance feeling for awhile now. Not sure if it's anxiety, or the celexa I was on. Or some underlying thing :( I'm hoping it was just the celexa tho
Bookmark and Share

Offline valleyplayer42

Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 07:27:43 AM »
My doctor said I can stop the prozac cold turkey after 21 days on it. My dizziness is still here I'm nauseous as can be my stomachs bothering me I have a low grade fever and a sore throat. I read that withdrawals can be flu like symptoms too. Very strange is that possible as well? These withdrawals better not last long because I am beginning to lose it.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
I read that withdrawals can be flu like symptoms too.

Withdrawal symptoms may mimic some flu symptoms such as a sore throat. It doesn't normally raise the body temperature, but your 99.9 degrees is within the normal range anyway.

These withdrawals better not last long because I am beginning to lose it.

I doubt it is withdrawal. Prozac has a very long half-life which makes it essentially self-tapering, plus you haven't been on it long enough. The 15 days on 10mg probably wasn't at a high enough dose to initiate neurogenesis, or have much affect on receptors, and 6 days at 20mg not long enough to have had much impact either.

How do you intend to treat your anxiety now? If with another antidepressant then you should be able to start it now, you do not have to wait for Prozac to be eliminated from your system.

Ian

Bookmark and Share

Offline valleyplayer42

Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 08:36:22 AM »
Insight-
 I can still be having side effects from the Prozac though right? I only stopped it Monday night. Even though 10 mg was a low dose, I felt the intensity of the effects get worse at 20 mg for those 5 days.

Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Insight-
 I can still be having side effects from the Prozac though right?

Yes. After 3 days you still have about three quarters of it in your system, which is why I doubt you're experiencing withdrawal. Prozac has a half-life of about a week.

Even though 10 mg was a low dose, I felt the intensity of the effects get worse at 20 mg for those 5 days.

Side-effects will worsen for a while each time the dose is increased.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline valleyplayer42

Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 06:50:49 PM »
Insight
Its amazing how much worse my anxiety has been since starting the prozac and even since ending it. Xanax wont even help it right now, Ill have to take like 2 mg just to lessen these physical symptoms. I am so sick of this unbalanced feeling that I am getting.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 07:40:56 PM »
Insight
Its amazing how much worse my anxiety has been since starting the prozac and even since ending it. Xanax wont even help it right now, Ill have to take like 2 mg just to lessen these physical symptoms. I am so sick of this unbalanced feeling that I am getting.

It probably isn't all due to the Prozac, much of it may be your mind catastrophizing too. You were having the unbalanced feeling even before you started on Prozac.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline valleyplayer42

Pissed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 09:32:56 PM »
Insight

should I chalk it up all to anxiety then the prozac worsening it? ent and doctor said it was anxiety... my hypochondraisis is telling me different. dizzy spell started after a night of heavy drinking with hard liquor shots and beers on an empty stomach and alot of dehydration. does that make sense to say ok its anxiety?

Thanks for your help greatly appreciated
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 10:47:41 PM »
should I chalk it up all to anxiety then the prozac worsening it

In the absence of alternative explanations, which I assume have been tested for and ruled out, yes. You earlier wrote, "I feel uncoordinated and wierd off balance feeling its hard to explain but it has been the entire time but the thing that makes me nervouan alternative explanations is that it STARTED 2 days before I started prozac." (my emphasis). Antidepressants often increase anxiety initially. You were already "off balance", etc, before you started taking prozac, so it isn't the cause, just, probably, an enhancer of it.

dizzy spell started after a night of heavy drinking with hard liquor shots and beers on an empty stomach and alot of dehydration. does that make sense to say ok its anxiety?

Of course. Please consider. The dehydration added to this.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: