Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Melanoma scare  (Read 594 times)

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Melanoma scare
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 07:13:21 AM »
My son, who was about 15 at the time, was at the doctor's for a physical and she told us that he had a "suspicious mole" on his back that needed to be checked out. So off we went to the dermatologist (with me SO worried but trying not to show it), who took one look at the mole and said it was nothing. She literally glanced at the mole and was like, "that's nothing - just a normal mole." Similarly, I was at my doctor's about 15 years ago for a strange "spot" on my face. I had done my exhaustive internet research on it and decided it was something scary. He told me it was a basal cell carcinoma and referred me to a plastic surgeon for its removal. Of course that sent me over the edge. The soonest I would get in to the plastic surgeon was two months later. I ended up calling my dermatologist that week who saw me right away. He took one look at it and told me it was a pimple. A PIMPLE. It was gone in two weeks. Moral of the story: a lot of non-dermatologist doctors do not know what they are looking at when it comes to skin issues and err on the "safe side."
Bookmark and Share

Online Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 07:41:33 AM »
It might be dysplastic when means (mild, moderate to severe) that it could someday become melanoma. If it's moderate to severe, they'll cut a section out.  My doc explained to me that when he took the area that he took as much as if it had been melanoma so he knew there were no cells from that mole left anywhere in that area.  Gone and done!  I've had 2 mild and one severe. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline gatorfan04

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 02:11:50 PM »
Mine took two weeks only because the lab had a glitch.  Normally they only take a week or less.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: