Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Terrified about getting back into work  (Read 132 times)

Offline esgirl101

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Terrified about getting back into work
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:06:38 AM »
Hello,

This is my first post here.

I have always had issues with anxiety and it has affected me in many negative ways, however it has never affected me in my work. I was lucky that I had a full-time job for a charity I loved, my manager became a best friend to me and I loved the work.

Sadly the funding for this post ran out and I got a new job with another charity. I was never given an induction, and told constantly to meet my targets and deadlines even on my first day. The job was different to what was advertised - I later found that a job description for an old job had been used because they didn't make a new one for the post I applied for. The work was too hard and the manager's were not very nice. Everyone there was stressed and unhappy. My anxiety flared up and soon I was being sick every day before work and crying when I got back from work until I had a giant "breakdown" and ended up resigning because I was scared I would harm myself.

I went to my doctor who diagnosed me with panic disorder and clinical depression, and I have just begun 50mg of sertraline but honestly I don't think it is helping at all.

Every day I wake up realising I am unemployed and panicking. But then I panic more thinking what if it happens again in my next job? What if the job is too hard, or the manager's are not nice and I end up resigning again? I am still sick most mornings and cry a lot in the day. I suppose it feels like my life is over; the dreams I had of building a good career for myself and being able to afford a car and a place of my own... I think now I have realised these things can never happen.

Can anyone advise? Has anyone been in a similar situation and what tips do you have for finding a job that is right for you where you can manage your anxiety? I don't want to be out of work forever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Terrified about getting back into work
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
I don't take sertraline but if its a similar SSRI it can take weeks to reach a certain amount in your blood for you to feel any of the effects.  Just a couple of thoughts

1) Get a part time job if possible.  See if you can manage the anxiety for 4hrs instead of 8
2) Don't do "what if" thinking. Every anxious person does it, and its not productive
3) Don't try working from home. 
4) If you can't get a therapist get some stress/anxiety books from Amazon and read up on techniques to manage it
Bookmark and Share

Offline NinjaKitty

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Terrified about getting back into work
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:20 AM »
If you have only just been prescribed and started sertraline it will take between 4-8 weeks to kick in and for youbto feel any benefit. ...also within that time scale you dr may up your dose. The 1st 4weeks on a ssri/snri/any anxiety/depression medication is the "settling in period" this is the length of time for it to become a steady stream in your body. Don't worry if you feel no benefit straight away unfortunately these meds aren't designed to work after the 1st few days.
once your medication kicks in and I hope your maybe considering therapy as well you can then focus on work finding a job you can feel secure in. Part time work is definitely a good idea to get you back into work mode, slow and steady baby steps are best. Stabalising your mental health is key before adding any stress of work etc.

if you don't want to be doing nothing during your recovery period you could try maybe doing 1 day volunteer work a week or more if you feel up to it..... something that's not stressful and you enjoy.

I know you don't want to be out of wor, none of us do but you have to be well and mentally ok before plunging yourself back into full time work. Your health is important too remember.

I hope some of this helps.
And remember don't expect miracles from your meds strsight away they take time to work and as I said your dr may up dose your meds. 50mg of sertraline is a kicking off dose most people find it more helpful at 75-125mg
Everybody differs in response to meds so give it time.

stay well stay strong and I wish you all the best.

kitty xxx
Bookmark and Share
Currently surfing the anxiety waves!!
Current Meds
5mg diazepam 3xdaily
45mg mirtazapine at night
10mg Nitrazepam nightly
sumatriptan (doses vary)
Naproxen 300mg 3 x daily
Buscopan 20mg 4x daily
Lanzoprozol 30mg daily
Trazadone (dose varies)