Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Recent anxiety sufferer looking for reassurance  (Read 138 times)

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
Recent anxiety sufferer looking for reassurance
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:43:34 AM »
Hello all! Luckily in the midst of my latest panic attack, I found this place and the thread about MS helped calm my nerves a little bit (figuratively and literally).
I was hoping to post about my own situation and get some reassurance/advice from everyone.
Oh my, where do I start?? I'll do my best to condense everything...

Some quick details:
Diagnosed with ADHD in 2009, I've been on Adderall XR for 5 years now (Been slowly trying to get off)
Diagnosed with H. Plyori infection/possible stomach ulcer in September (the start of my health problems/health anxiety)
Was in College till this past December, now in post-College limbo after graduating (aka too much free time at the moment)

Around the start of January, I suffered an intense anxiety/panic attack. I had convinced myself that I had overdosed and took 2 of my Adderall's, even though I KNEW that that was impossible. Following that attack, I started googling medical stuff a lot more, whenever I was faced with anything. Even the littlest things.

Needless to say, it didn't help that I developed actual health conditions resulting from my ulcer infection. I was diagnosed with IBS-C and GERD by my doctor. Instead of using proton pump inhibitors again, I managed to "cure" my GERD with Probiotics (thanks to learning about Dysbiosis after antibiotic treatment from the internet). The problem with health anxiety is that cause I was "right" in this situation, it's proven to be fuel for the fire when it comes to my cyberchondria....

OK OK long story short, after all these recent health issues, I am currently CRIPPLED on a daily basis with the idea that I have MS. It has interfered with my life and brought any sort of progression to a standstill. My girlfriend/family is desperate to convince me otherwise.

Here's why I keep convincing myself I have it:
-numbness/pins and needles/sensitive nerves for the past couple months (I pinched a nerve while exercising in February, have been getting chiropractic treatment)
-leaky gut suspicions (can it even cause MS??)
-chronic fatigue episodes (my mother has chronic fatigue/fibromylagia)
-mistaking "detox symptoms" (???) from probiotics as MS symptoms (brain fog/dizzyness/nerve pain (on my spine no less!)/muscle weakness)
-mistaking various anxiety symptoms for MS
-mistaking "dry eyes" for blurry vision problems related to MS onset

MS does not present randomly and sporadically, correct? It's onset is usually acute and all at once? As you can see, I really really want to be talked down from this health anxiety ledge I've made for myself over these past couple months!!

Reassurance would be MUCH appreciated, thank you for reading.
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Recent anxiety sufferer looking for reassurance
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:27:51 PM »
You wouldn't get ALL those symptoms at once like that!  And no one knows what causes MS, AND it's more common in WOMEN.  That does not sound like the presentation of MS. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedmomofone

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »
Honestly?  Every symptom you describe is a perfect example of a physical symptom of anxiety (and I have most of them too and have also been scared of MS, the doctors are not concerned at all)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 04:19:44 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance. I've dealt with more health problems these past couple months than I ever have before, I think that's what is driving my fear.

Pretty sure part of this anxiety stems from my long term adderall usage. Will I be okay taking a probiotic while going through adderall withdrawal?? Thanks again for the reassurances, they help :)
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions