Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Does Buspar cause Insomnia?  (Read 398 times)

Offline HopefulAmy81

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does Buspar cause Insomnia?
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:23:04 AM »
This past month I have developed bad Anxiety.  My Dr. prescribed me ativan .5 mg as needed.  It was helping but it would wear off and I felt like I needed it constantly.  So my doctor prescribed me Buspar on the 21st (this past friday)  I have to take 5mg twice a day.  It felt like it started to help when I took it almost immediately.  I did have to also take one ativan friday.  But then since then I haven't needed ativan.  I feel like the Buspar settled me down a lot and made me feel okay.  I was pretty tired yesterday but didn't want to nap because I want to get back on a sleep schedule.  Well last night I took my night time dose at 9pm.  and tried going to bed at 9:30pm   I laid in bed wide awake without the feeling of needing to fall alseep.  I just laid there.  I wasn't anxious.  Just wide awake.  So 1am rolled around and I took an ativan to help sleep.    I must've fell alseep a little after taking it.  But woke back up wide awake at 5am.  and I had anxiety and laid there awake for 2 hours before needing to get up with my kids.      Does Buspar cause insomnia?  I am sitting here now at 7:23 and I don't feel tired and my anxiety feeling is tolerable... But ugh.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 88
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does Buspar cause Insomnia?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 08:10:52 AM »
Does Buspar cause insomnia?

It isn't common, but some do have problems sleeping while taking it. However, one sleepless night doesn't necessarily mean this will be a problem for you. Should it become one then Benadryl may provide enough sedation. If it doesn't ask your doctor to prescribe a small dose - 25-50mg - of trazodone (Desyrel).

Benzodiazepines are not good sleeping pills as tolerance to their sedation usually builds within a couple of weeks.

I am sitting here now at 7:23 and I don't feel tired and my anxiety feeling is tolerable... But ugh.

Beware of talking yourself into having another sleepless night. It is surprisingly easy to do.  :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline HopefulAmy81

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 08:19:31 AM »
I know you're right!!  Buspar seems to be helping me in every other way so far (knock on wood)  so I don't want to blame one sleepless night on it.  And if it's not really a known side effect maybe I'm just trying to blame something.  I usually never have problems sleeping.   Are you on Buspar?  How does the medication work for you?  How long until you felt its FULL effect? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 03:50:26 PM »
You could also try taking the second dose a bit earlier than before you go to bed.

I've had a lot of insomnia issues over the last year including when I tried SSRIs, but for me when I briefly tried Buspar I didn't notice it altering my sleep.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 05:22:07 PM »
Are you on Buspar?  How does the medication work for you?  How long until you felt its FULL effect?

It's been a long time since I tried Buspar. It didn't help, but then it rarely, if ever, does with panic disorder. It typically takes a 7-10 days to hit maximum effectiveness.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 12:16:58 AM »
Amy, I started buspar 2 weeks ago.  I've read that you could feel some initial relief in the first two weeks.
And a fuller effect around 6 weeks.

I started at 7.5 mg.  Now I'm at 15 mg (7.5 in morning and 7.5 in evening).  I think the buspar is working subtly.
I've been having good days at work, good weeks.  My anxiousness is manageable and not extreme.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HopefulAmy81

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »
I told my Dr. about the Buspar and having sleep issues and she prescribed me 50mg of trazodone a night.  I am terrified to take this.  I'm worried I will have a bad reaction.  LOL.  I read somewhere it can cause seretonin syndrome.  Is this type of medicine you take every night?  Or just as needed?  I heard its for depression.  I need sleep meds.. not depression meds. 
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 05:50:04 PM »
I told my Dr. about the Buspar and having sleep issues and she prescribed me 50mg of trazodone a night.  I am terrified to take this.  I'm worried I will have a bad reaction.  LOL.

At doses below about 150-225mg/day trazodone is only an antihistamine, essentially a more powerful Benadryl. If you've taken antihistamines in the past without problems then you shouldn't have an issue with trazodone.

I read somewhere it can cause seretonin syndrome. 

Beware the ramblings of Dr Google. At high doses, the 150-225mg referred to above, trazodone becomes an antidepressant, and a pretty good one if you can get past the sedation, which means it will have an effect on serotonin, but you'd need to take a huge amount to have issues with serotonin syndrome which is much rarer than Dr Google would have you believe. Trazodone isn't much used as an antidepressant these days, but it is commonly prescribed for SSRI induced insomnia and serotonin syndrome has not been an issue even with high SSRI doses.

Is this type of medicine you take every night?  Or just as needed?

Either. You can take it daily without risk of tolerance developing. Most people do, but if insomnia is only an occasional problem then take it as needed.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline HopefulAmy81

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »
I really do need to stay off google.  It's my biggest problem.   :angry-smiley-034:     
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 07:21:33 PM »
I really do need to stay off google.  It's my biggest problem.   :angry-smiley-034:   

The Internet is a mixed blessing for those of us with anxiety disorders. It has made it much easier for us to become educated about anxiety and depression and what works, but unfortunately the good info is mixed in with a lot of male bovine manure.  :(

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline HopefulAmy81

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »
Update-I am still having insomnia with buspirone.  I will fall asleep only to wake up 30 minutes later and be wide awake.  I will then toss and turn endlessly.  I'm not really sure what to do at this point considering not sleeping is taking a huge toll on me.  I did try Trazodone 50 mg two nights ago and it did nothing for me.  I ended up taking an ativan to sleep a little while later and it worked.   yesterday I felt really tired all day so decided against trying trazodone last night. But once again I was sooo tired and just could not sleep.  I even took TWO 0.5 mg ativan and still nothing.  I am talking to my dr. about either coming off of buspirone or lowering the dose.  Im not sure its really doing anything for me. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 03:54:29 PM »
Amy, when you take buspar -- does it make you take a nap in the early evening?  That's what happened to me which made
it hard to fall asleep at night.

I was taking B at 6am and 6pm.  I thought maybe the 6pm dose was tiring me so I moved it closer to 9pm.  As a result
I'm not napping in the early evening.  And it's easier for me to fall asleep at night.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: