Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Nocturia (peeing at night)  (Read 253 times)

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Nocturia (peeing at night)
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:01:50 AM »
For the past 2-3 weeks I've been waking at night to pee, usually once, sometimes twice. I never paid much attention to urination frequency during the day since I was always peeing quite often, but I was also drinking a lot of water.

Anyway, couple of days ago I mistakenly Googled it and find out about diabetes. Then I realized I have dry mouth, anxiety started crawling in but then I remember that I had urine test last July and that there wasn't glucose in my urine so it is not diabetes most likely. I have also done prostate ultrasound last March and everything was fine.

You would think I would feel great now, but no, I actually feel much worse since if it is not diabetes and prostate then it must be MS since I have read that spinal lesions cause bladder problems too and I already had fear of PPMS. So I decided to test it, lowered my water intake especially before sleep, writing how many times I was peeing during the day, and I actually woke up 2 times 2 days ago, and 3 times last night to pee.

During the day, if I feel need to pee I can hold it for an hour even two, so no problem with that, but this waking up is starting to freak me out.

I would appreciate some insights.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nocturia (peeing at night)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:52:41 AM »
When you wake to pee, is it a LOT coming out?   You may be like my daughter, from about 5am to 9am she gets up maybe 2 or 3 times!  She said that she feels it and knows she won't be able to sleep with that "feeling" but not much comes out - it's anxiety for her.  I also have a friend that when we are out, she'll say "I have to tinkle"... and goes in every stores bathroom and any restaurants!  Just THINKING about it will make you want to go.   And if you wake up the first thing on your mind now is probably, "Do I have to pee???"   And then you do...
(Hey, did your girl get her period??)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:03:19 AM »
She did. :)

I always pee normally, it's not like something barely comes out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:18:29 AM »
It could still be you thinking about it - I recall 2 years ago always having to go to the bathroom - WAY too often!  (every half hour or so!) And a LOT would come out (I'm a person who is never thirsty and hardly drinks ANYTHING so I was concerned WHERE was all this water coming from???) so finally I got concerned and went to a doctor.  I was told it was me thinking about it so much that I triggered the "I have to go" signal much sooner than I should.  She told me when I have to go to just wait 15 or 20 minutes and then stretch out the time - it worked!  Now whether that worked or the fact that I was told my urine sample was perfect and there's nothing wrong with me that did it.  Maybe when you wake up don't go right away, wait for 15 or 20 minutes (and maybe you'll even fall back to sleep and break that cycle)

(I TOLD you she'd get it!  :happy0151:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 06:19:18 AM »
I still experience dry mouth, forgot to mention that. I would suspect it is anxiety, but it could because I reduced water intake although I still drink 2.5 liters a day.

Also can't see how it could be diabetes, when I had urine test in July and it showed that there isn't glucose in urine. It would be real coincidence to get it so soon after that, and it doesn't run in my family.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:58:23 AM »
NOT diabetes.  By the time you start showing symptoms like that diabetes would have shown up in your urine!  My husband has diabetes, and his symptoms were drinking SO much water that he couldn't keep up with the thirst.  If you are able to cut back your fluid intake then you don't have diabetes.
You are concentrating too much on it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:37:51 AM »
Thank you. I am trying to convince myself it is just anxiety since it doesn't make any sense that I am worse now when I tried cutting down fluid intake. Also my rational mind is telling that I couldn't probably delay urinating for an hour if it was MS, but this damn brain is not listening.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
It can totally be anxiety, last month I was peeing 2-3 times a night as well and I was very anxious.

I had a bladder ultrasound done, urine tests etc. and it was absolutely nothing wrong with me.

So I must assume peeing often can be caused by anxiety alone.
Bookmark and Share

Online Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 10:09:58 AM »
Excessive thirst,dry mouth, and frequent urination are signs of diabetes.  As a diabetic I've had all those symptoms, and  I can tell you first hand that your sugar has to be extremely high before it shows up in urine.  If you have a friend that diabetic just as them to check you with a meter.  If you don't have a diabetic friend you can get it checked at any Dr office or clinic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 10:21:05 AM »
I don't have excessive thirst, just frequent urination, and I think dry mouth started when I read about diabetes :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:38:59 AM »
I read that excessive urination in patients with diabetes is caused because you are drinking more water as you are thirsty. I actually lowered my water intake and I think I am urinating even more frequently. Also, as I said, I don't think I am thirsty. I do have past 2-3 days dry mouth, but not thirst.

Will check my sugar most likely tomorrow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »
Well, it's not diabetes 100% since I measured blood sugar at my therapist 2h after eating and it was perfectly normal. That leaves me with MS or anxiety. My therapist is sure it is anxiety as according to her I would have involuntary leaking with MS and  frequent urination and dry mouth are classic anxiety symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: