Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Not sure where to post, but hope this is appropriate  (Read 112 times)

Offline Alecia6

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Not sure where to post, but hope this is appropriate
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:50:39 AM »
Has anyone ever been traumatized or experienced stress for that long of a time, that they not only develope GAD, but also OCD an become med phobic?
I am having an difficult time due to all of these. And I am talking to a therapist as well as slowly trying to go back onto my meds properly, albeit it with much panic.
I just wanted to know if anyone has ever been this bad off and came back out of it to some degree successfully.
And if so, what were the main things that helped get you back on your feet again?
Thank you for any and all responses, as I feel very down at the moment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Not sure where to post, but hope this is appropriate
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 06:11:06 AM »
Does 10 years in a house count? That was my life for a decade. Afraid to leave my house. What was outside made me anxious. I always put it that I got fed up looking at the walls in my bedroom. So I began the fight back. To push myself back outside the house again. Small things to begin with. The garden was the first step. Until I felt relaxed there. You want to run back in to were you feel safe. But the trick was not to run. To stay were I was no matter how bad it got. Once I felt safe in the garden I began going for small walks. A big fear was cars. I had ended up under one a few years before this. I had to begin to trust everything outside my house. To feel safe.Over time I built it up. Going further and further. Getting on trains and buses and going places. Therapy does help. But the real hard work has to come from you. You have to believe in yourself. You are the one facing up to the fears. We can spend our lives running away from things. Or we can say ' enough ' and fight back. What I done was exposure therapy. Putting myself in situations I feared the most of all. No matter how bad I felt I stuck with it. Over time those bad feelings do become weaker. You become stronger. I did go a number of years without medication. I can't swallow medication. I have to crush them up and mix them with jam. Plus I used to read the side effects. I gave up reading the side effects. Case of ' whatever will be, will be '. Just take them and see what happens. I was lucky never to have any bad side effects. Year of worrying over medication for no reason at all. They did help me. Setbacks do happen too. I have had a few. But I always fight back. Because I know it is just a setback. So no matter how bad you may feel, remember, there is always a road back.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: