Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Scared all the time  (Read 238 times)

Offline Zearth

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared all the time
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:58:24 PM »
A few years ago when I first got these anxiety/panic episodes, it nearly destroyed me. I couldn't function, could barely think, broke down at the slightest almost random stimulus. But slowly I got better thanks to drugs and some therapy. But I had to stop that for awhile because of location problems.

Now it's back and it feels even worse since there's a possible illness thing involved so now I am just a complete miserable wreck all the time. Fighting back doesn't seem to be working, I wake up shivering in terror every morning, and laying in bed thinking of facing another whole day like this makes me wanna just break down crying each time. My stomach is always churning, its effecting my hygiene, and my relationships.

Anyone have any methods or ways to fight fear this deep? Deep breaths don't seem to help, I can't seem to focus enough to do them right.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared all the time
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 03:41:35 PM »
There's some good smartphone apps for deep breathing.  You don't need to focus too much.  A meter will go up and down.  Just breath in-out with the meter. If you can get a therapist get one.  If not Amazon has good cognitive wookbooks. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline jane134

• Rec's: 35
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:46:54 PM »
Yep, self help books could help if you are still in a position where you can't get to therapy. My personal favourite is Dr Claire Weekes, Hope and help for your nerves'. I often refer to it when im having a particularly bad day.
Distraction helps too. Is there anything you  particularly enjoy like crafts, baking, writing etc? When i am totally immersed into something, my anxiety is always on the low down. Sitting about and focusing on it will just amplify it.
Bookmark and Share
In order to fly, you have to unload the stuff that weighs you down.

Offline Zearth

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 04:24:26 PM »
Never heard of a breathing app, I'll have to look into that.

Therapy unfortunately isn't really an option right now, and I'm not confident I could focus on large bodies of text currently. When things get bad I seem to really lack that filter that blocks out bad thoughts. Normally I write, but I can't focus on it, or my books or TV.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zearth

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:41:13 PM »
Just bought that Dr. Claire Weeks book on my Nook. never tried any of these self-help books before, so I'm a little skeptical but I'll try anything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zearth

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 01:33:48 PM »
I'm not doing too well right now. Waking up was like getting splashed with ice water, and the hypochondria thing is in full effect. At times like this I need my friends or family but they're all at work, it's too early, I can't reach any of them. It's struck too damn early today! So I'm alone with this, and I'm not doing well and it's getting worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 01:52:48 PM »
Best thing is to not talk yourself up to the point were its full blown.... What fear are you having with the hypochondria?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zearth

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 02:01:39 PM »
There are these lumps on my right hand and the doctors don't know what they are even after bloodwork and x-rays and I have an MRI scheduled for Thursday and now as I wait my hands have been feeling achy and numb and I can feel it crawling up my arms and it's making me freak out. And today I felt that achy numbness in my biceps and I can't tell if any of it is real and I don't have anyone at home to turn to and talk me down like usual and it's too early for my Xanax so I'm just sitting here all huddled up and trying to keep from losing my mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 02:16:17 PM »
Ok.... In the self help books they talk about cognitive behavioral therapy.  Help your mind talk yourself down.  I'll try to give you an example

1) How many times this year have you had this tingly feeling?

2) If you had to put a percentage on the probability something bad will happen what would it be?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Zearth

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 02:30:40 PM »
Okay, um...

1) Over the last few days

2) Best guess is, uh... 15% realistically. Or less, I dunno, my thoughts are all muddy and I don't know medical stuff well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
So 15% isn't really that bad is it?  Numbness and tingling happen to me also, usually if I'm breathing too fast.  I get lightheadedness and fear I'll pass out each time I have an episode when I first started CBT it would look like this

1) I get lightheaded and I'm afraid I'll passout

2) I get them a bunch of times each week at least 10 times

3) I'm 50% sure I'll pass out

4) I've never passed out so my thinking is wrong... if my thinking was right I should have fainted 5 times

5) I need to learn that even if I get lightheaded the chances of passing out are slim
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zearth

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »
No, you're right, 15% isn't that bad. Higher than I'd like, of course, but everything higher than 0% is higher than I'd like.

I just worry especially with that MRI coming that it might be something horrible. Nothing is scarier for me than a doctor saying "I don't know what that is."

Seems like CBT helped you a lot. I'll look into it.
Bookmark and Share