Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Just Joined - Trying to fix my anxiety  (Read 110 times)

Offline anxoius86

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Just Joined - Trying to fix my anxiety
« on: March 23, 2014, 02:38:11 PM »
So I just registered here-

I am a 27 year old male and I have been struggling with intermittent anxiety for about half a decade now. I had my first panic attack around 20 or 21 and I was home alone and called an ambulance because I thought I was having a heart attack and dying. I felt like such an idiot afterward when I was released and fine after the tests.

I've almost had a few other panic attack here and there. Lately I have been struggling again with anxiety, but in a slightly different form. I used to always have trouble swallowing pills. Then I finally taught myself how to swallow them and was very good at it. Fast forward to about six months ago- the doctor had prescribed me some antibiotics for some sickness I had. I swallowed a few fine, but then at work the next day one got stuck in my throat...

Now I think I could still breathe, but it was kind of just stuck in my swallow tube. What a horrible few minutes. Finally after drinking some water it managed to get unstuck. After that though for about a week or two I had problems eating anything. I was hyper sensitive to anything in my throat, and swallowing any solid food. It slowly got better.

For some reason lately I have been stressed out again, and it's coming back. I am having issues with swallowing. Last night I had a full blown panic attack because I felt like I had some food stuck in my throat and it was going to choke me at any second, and even with drinking water I felt like I couldn't get whatever it was fully down. It was horrible. Eventually it subsided, but I almost went to urgent care even though I knew I was just being an idiot.

Now I have actually choked (not being able to breathe at all) on a food a couple times in my life, but obviously always ended up okay. It always became dislodged at some point.

I just want to get my anxiety under control. Now I keep being worried about when I will have to eat next, and worried about just feeling worried. It's s shitty vicious cycle and I feel like it's only getting worse.

Also I used to be (and still am to some extent) a pretty bad hypochondriac. I always assume the worst when I get little fevers here and there. And for a little while a few months ago was also worried about things like heart attacks and stuff. I witnessed a heart attack a year or two ago by an old man when I was playing basketball and it was a really crummy experience. He lived, but it was still scary.

So that's why I am here... hopefully I can get my anxiety under control and start not worrying about eating, or dying, or other stupid stuff anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Just Joined - Trying to fix my anxiety
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.

Possibly 10 posts to enter chat at the moment.

Room is currently down. Please sign up for anxiety zone wire ( link in top right hand corner ) for chat purposes.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline redpa18t

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Just Joined - Trying to fix my anxiety
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 12:56:43 PM »
Sorry to hear about your struggles. I also had some major eating issues with the onset of my anxiety. I had seasonal allergies which lead to a weird scratchy throat for me. The feeling like something was constantly stuck in there. It didn't really go away for a while, and during the time it persisted it developed into a source of major anxiety for me. I also choked at one time in my life. I had to reach into my mouth and pull out the obstruction in the middle of a restaurant. So it has kind of been a struggle for me to begin with as far a choking is concerned.

Aside from this one of the "symptoms" of anxiety and panic attacks is difficulty swallowing. This would explain why you feel this way more as your anxiety grows. The key is to understand that is normal.

I lost over 30lbs in 4 months due to the inability to eat full meals, and some days surviving on one small meal and snacks. At times I was so worked up about having to swallow that I would almost gag myself as a result. For me the answer was to stop worrying about how long it took me to eat. I would sit and chew each bite as many times as i needed to to ensure that there were no "chunks" in it that could get stuck on the way down. Even now that it's no longer much of an issue, I will notice my anxiety more by how I feel when I eat than any other time of the day. It has become a gauge of sorts for me to understand where my stress levels are.

It may sound silly to some, but I certainly understand where you are coming from. And if I can do anything to help, let me know.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: