Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is it okay to drink on Buspar  (Read 163 times)

Offline HopefulAmy81

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is it okay to drink on Buspar
« on: March 22, 2014, 06:31:56 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has ever drank while on Buspar?  I don't plan on drinking a lot.  Maybe 3 or 4 beers.  Just curious if I will be okay? 
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is it okay to drink on Buspar
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 07:27:33 PM »
Hello Amy, and welcome to Anxiety Zone...

To begin with answering your question, keep this in mind, that anxiety disorders and alcohol do not mix.  Alcohol depresses the nervous system, so those with an anxiety disorder may find some temporary relief from their anxiety symptoms when then drink.  The problem with this is when drinking becomes a form of self medicating.  As time goes on, one will develop a tolerance to alcohol, requiring more of it to produce the same effects.  Also, one might initially feel better after a few drinks, but once the alcohol wears-off, anxiety symptoms will not only return, but will often times be worse.  There is also a correlation between those individuals with anxiety disorders, becoming chemically dependent (alcohol and/or drugs).

The literature on BuSpar recommends avoiding both alcohol and grapefruit juice.  While BuSpar and alcohol are not considered a deadly combination like the benzodiazapines and alcohol are, alcohol can intensify the side effects of BuSpar, causing increased drowsiness and/or dizziness.

I hope that this helps to answer your question.

The very best to you, Amy!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline HopefulAmy81

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is it okay to drink on Buspar
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 08:50:41 AM »
Thanks Chuck!  With all of this anxiety I just want to feel normal sometimes.  I just want to be able to have a few beers and relax.  I went from being able to drink to not drinking at all.  I never had anxiety like this.  I was prescribed zoloft a few weeks ago and after only taking it three times I started experiencing crazy panic and anxiety attacks.  I stopped taking it but since then I am still battling the anxiety.  I know the zoloft is out of my system by now.  But I now feel as though it showed me what an anxiety attack is and now I am bringing them on myself.  ugh :/    Anyway I did drink 2 beers last night.  I was anxious doing it.  Most likely because I was afraid of what would happen.  So I stopped drinking.  It did make me sleepy.  I feel asleep at 9:30.  LOL  other then that I feel the normal anxious feelings I always feel. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: