Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety affecting appetite and health  (Read 148 times)

Offline Zearth

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety affecting appetite and health
« on: March 22, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »
Ever since this recent series of panic attacks I've been hit with, my urge to eat is just GONE and I'm worried about how this may be effecting my health. Eating has become a really gross slow and mechanical process and I think I'm not doing it often enough.

Also I'm always freezing, no matter how I bundle up.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with any of this, or experience with it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety affecting appetite and health
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:41:20 PM »
I am quite familiar, from my personal experience, of the connection between brain and gut . . . .what I might suggest, other than dealing with the anxiety perhaps with a professional, is that I will eat extremely small meals . . . more often, but throughout the day . . . .I can go without eating until I am so tired I just go to bed but I know that is not healthy for a couple of reason . . .your body needs food and especially your brain . . . if you do not get enough nutrients, that can make the experience of anxiety more intensified  . . . on those days when I just cannot manage food and those have become few and far between because eating many small meals suits me but if there is a particularly bad day, I drink Ensure and see it as a treat because I make a milkshake out of it . . . by adding the milk, there is added protein, calories, nutrients, etc. to the already dense Ensure  .. . now, I would not recommend this as a diet because we need food to produce bulk, etc. to make our gut happy, but it does work for me.

As for the freezing, although it is more a gender issue for women, men can have thyroid issues . . . .through most of summer, I will often wear turtleneck sweaters because I am frequently freezing . . . the tradeoff is that I don't use my air condiitoning in the summer because I don't need to but I compensate in the Canadian winter because I need to have the heat turned up to create what my family calls the House Spa . . .

But, do try to start eating small meals and build up . . . to give you an example, a "big" meal for me is usually breakfast of an egg and a piece of toast around 7 a.m., then at 10 a.m., I will have some apple with peanut butter (I get the stuff that is just peanuts), then at 1 I will have a piece of steamed fish with some veggies; at 3:30 p.m. or so, I will have some cereal with milk; but by 7 p.m., I usually have toast and jam and a glass of milk . . . now, I will also have treats such as chocolate milk sometimes or frozen yogurt and if I am really in a hurry, I make what my brother calls cardboard cookies . . . very little sugar but psyllium fiber and nuts, etc. but always small . . oh, one of my favourites is homemade soup . . .real easy, just veggies and chunks of chicken . . . .for some reason, this seems more like drinking something than an actual meal . . . but you do need to retrain your GI tract to know that it can stop reacting to anxiety brain's signal . . . it can be a bit frustrating, but just small steps . .. hope this helped . . . kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Zearth

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 08:19:05 PM »
It's a load off that you understand where I'm coming from. That's good advice, little meals throughout the day sounds like the best plan as my appetite is gone. I bought some granola bars and strawberry Special K cerial since those are super light meals but I've not heard of Ensure, actually.

The Freezing was like this during my last anxiety issues too, I ended up wearing an old hoodie everywhere at all times like a security blanket. I have no idea if it's a Thyroid thing or not. I only feel warm when completely wrapped up in bed lately.

It means a lot to have someone able to relate to my issues and give me such succinct advice. You taking the time to help me at all means a lot to me, thank you. Sincerely.
Bookmark and Share

Offline HopefulAmy81

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 01:33:42 PM »
I could've wrote your post.   I recently started getting anxiety and panic this past month.  Really bad.  To the point where I can't eat.  and eating is actually giving me anxiety.  I have diarreah constantly.  I also start getting the shakes and trembling because my body doesn't feel warm enough.  I realize recently that although eating is giving me anxiety I NEED to eat.  And I actually think part of the anxiety is because I am associated eating with anxiety.  I need to get myself out of that mind set.  And although I feel real anxious and horrible and I am forcing myself to eat I feel better a little while later.  It seems I get more anxious when my stomach is empty and it's making it worse.  So as bad as it is to force yourself something.  I found eating apple sauce, cottage cheese or yogurt helps.  Try building up to a slice of peanut butter bread.  or even a small bowl of cereal.  Even If you have to eat small small things all throughout the day.  It really does help.  I am going through the same thing.  as we speak I am forcing myself an apple.  ((HUGS))
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Help me health